Jefferson County Football 2010

JCSP20

The QB who won happened to be the QB for the sevierville squad that went undefeated in the regular season. I still believe that it is quite an accomplishment to be considered the second best QB when you look and see that sevierville was undefeated and jefferson county was 5-5. Once again, we are judging Goins based on his junior year. Zach Long did not even play his junior year. The euverard fiasco preceded that and then there is Ben Pewitt all the way back to the Scott Meadows days. I think this critisism of Goins is quite unwarranted. Give him a chance to play his senior year and then you can compare him to the likes of Zach long and other former JCHS QB's.

On to the work ethic that you mentioned, may I ask how you know that this is a lazy patriot team? I can site examples of players on this football team who eat, sleep and breath football. Some of these players are working their tales off just to be able to work out due to surgerys that were required after the season. Before you talk about how lazy the team is, you should really check and see them train.

Just to clear things up, Goins shared the first team quarterback position with the sophomore quarterback from east, Cody Rickard. But personally i am with JCSP20 on the all conference situation, especially after Kountz made the team by missing the majority of the season (Anderson should have never nominated him for the team). In the veer offense the quarterback can look successful at the first glance, but for the people that know what to look for, goins missed a lot of so called reads this season. Goins didn't seem to read the defense ,he was going against, at some points during the season. Zach Long only played his senior year, but seemed to be miles and miles ahead of Goins in reading defenses. The cause for this might be the absence of "Buster" but this must be the primary goal this off season for goins. That and holding on to the ball...

Zach did play his junior year backing up Spencer Gaitlin. He played sparengly in the 2006 cambell county and Morristown West games. Back to Goins, the problem on several occasions, as I previously mentioned, was the line allowed penatration. When there is penatration, the read shifts from the end to the first man that shows. Say a defensive tackle breaks through the down block, he then becomes the read and the QB in this situation would be forced to pitch the ball. The pitch recipiant is out of luck because he is an easy tackle for the end. This happened numerous times this past year.

Also, while I am on the subject of line play the line of the 2007 JCHS football team was substantially larger than that of the 2009 patriot team therefore making penatration less of an issue. The big uglies will surely grow stronger this off-season considering every one of them were juniors. With 18 of the 22 startes juniors or sophmores look for a much matured group. I believe the entire team (including Goins for sure) will suprise many people who were heavily disappointed with the 2009 team.

Goins' accomplishments look good on paper, but that first team all-region is misleading given that the Offensive Player of the Year was a quarterback and was not in contention for all region teams. I can't say that I was pleased with the quarterback play last year, all-region or not. In years past, with guys like Cory Watson, Dawson Halliday, Zach Long, and Jamie Crawford in the conference, Goins would not have even sniffed the all-region team. Call it what you will, but that much is very clear. His best game to date occurred during his sophomore year. He certainly has some tools to work with, but we haven't seen much improvement to date, which makes me wonder if we have a capable quarterback coach. I'm not as in touch as I used to be, and I only know what I see from the stands or hear from others, so I'm not sure who handles the quarterbacks.

As for athletes capable of playing college ball, Ausmus and Mason are the two that stick out in my mind. Unfortunately, I hear Mason doesn't quite have it together off the field but, both, from a talent standpoint, could without a doubt play somewhere. Like it was said before me, it takes a combination of talent and work ethic that I don't see out of anyone else on the team. Kids simply aren't as driven as they were back in my time. I remember we'd have guys who lived in that weight room and others who were just "country strong". Either way we understood what hard work meant and weren't afraid of it.

Im with linemenpat, please give me examples of how this team is lazy. You arent around the team to even make this arguement relivent. Unless you go to JCHS everyday and watch thier workout class, or watch the kids who stay after school and workout, please do not voice your opinions, because quite frankly, a lot of us are tired of hearing all your negativity toward the young men in the program. It's gettin pretty old

Goins' accomplishments look good on paper, but that first team all-region is misleading given that the Offensive Player of the Year was a quarterback and was not in contention for all region teams. I can't say that I was pleased with the quarterback play last year, all-region or not. In years past, with guys like Cory Watson, Dawson Halliday, Zach Long, and Jamie Crawford in the conference, Goins would not have even sniffed the all-region team. Call it what you will, but that much is very clear. His best game to date occurred during his sophomore year. He certainly has some tools to work with, but we haven't seen much improvement to date, which makes me wonder if we have a capable quarterback coach. I'm not as in touch as I used to be, and I only know what I see from the stands or hear from others, so I'm not sure who handles the quarterbacks.

As for athletes capable of playing college ball, Ausmus and Mason are the two that stick out in my mind. Unfortunately, I hear Mason doesn't quite have it together off the field but, both, from a talent standpoint, could without a doubt play somewhere. Like it was said before me, it takes a combination of talent and work ethic that I don't see out of anyone else on the team. Kids simply aren't as driven as they were back in my time. I remember we'd have guys who lived in that weight room and others who were just "country strong". Either way we understood what hard work meant and weren't afraid of it.

So, his best game was at Bearden in Oct 2008?

WOW, this is a true lack of Football knowledge at it best. He played well, for his first start, but best game? you must be joking, Right?

As for the preceived lazyness, I know that Goins and several other players are doing extra work outside the "regular" workouts. THEY are eating, drinking and breathing Football.

I think you and MANY others will be shocked by the developments in the offseason.

All of that said: The coaches do need to put the players on the field who will give the team the best chance to win. A 6A football team with 38 seniors, the bulk of which played on an undefeated Freshmen team, should be a force. But again, it is up to the coaches to put the players on the field.

PS: Speed Kills, and I know a few players with speed.

MORE Cowbell is Coming!!!!, Fear the Cowbell.

Im with linemenpat, please give me examples of how this team is lazy. You arent around the team to even make this arguement relivent. Unless you go to JCHS everyday and watch thier workout class, or watch the kids who stay after school and workout, please do not voice your opinions, because quite frankly, a lot of us are tired of hearing all your negativity toward the young men in the program. It's gettin pretty old

This is a message board and a place where people express their opinions. Its obvious some people will like the things being done and some will not. If you don't like or cant handle the things being said GTFO!

As far as work ethic goes i really would like to see what these kids go through in their workout class Coach Anderson teaches. I mean seriously how hard do you think Coach Anderson works them out? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think these kids know what it means to work hard and get better.

This is a message board and a place where people express their opinions. Its obvious some people will like the things being done and some will not. If you don't like or cant handle the things being said GTFO!

As far as work ethic goes i really would like to see what these kids go through in their workout class Coach Anderson teaches. I mean seriously how hard do you think Coach Anderson works them out? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think these kids know what it means to work hard and get better.

:x I have to agree with this statement. Coach Anderson might put on a show that he is pushing these kids during the "workout class" but all who know "gut" personally, know that he can be a joke and is hard to be taken seriously. From what i hear from former players, the class wasn't much, but full of time consuming activities. Question though: Do the players that play basketball, baseball,wrestling..etc workout during their seasons? Do they even take the class? Just Curious.

Yes the still take the class. To stake that the players dont know how to work though is a very ignorant statement. As I previously said, you have players recovering from surgery and they cant help the situation they are in. There are a few guys that drive all the way to D1 in knoxville just to train. On top of that, there are even others who have a diet plan, work out with the team, on their own, and with a trainer. Oh add also the few that go home after school everyday to work on the farm until sundown (yes people still do that). The players do know how to work and get better. If not than they would have just quit at the 0-4 mark but instead battled back to salvage a chance at the playoffs and competed in some close games.

Those who do know Coach Anderson personally respect him very much. Those close to him realize that he does have one flaw, he has a heart bigger than most anyone elses. I have never seen an instance where he has turned down a jchs football player or anyone in need for that matter. Obviously, you feel he has wronged you or upset you in some way (given your reference to him as "gut" and calling him a "joke") but I will tell you he does have the players respect and always will.

As for the subject of the class, In previous years the class was a joke but this year work is being done. Each day the players are either working out, doing speed development work, or conditioning. I do invite you into the class so that you can see what "time consuming" activities are done. I do think coaching is the easist career to point fingers in and say "well he is the problem" or "that was the problem" and there was definatly a lot of that going on last year but like I have said and said and said just give this team a chance to grow up before you throw them under the bus. 18 starters are returning. That is extrememly rare at any level. Just wait and see what these players are capable is my only request to you all.

Well when you look at it the patriots have been younger than their opponents across the board for the past 2 years. This a healthy portions of the teams senior years so they do have that sense of urgancy. I believe just as a result from last year the whole jchs football organization has become much more focused this year. As I said in my previous post, the S and C class in years past has not been very productive but things are changing this year. The work that is being put in is very exciting and I realize that most people dont have the chance to see it, they just get to see the results. Those results from last year were disappointing. I realize that but just give this team a chance to grow up from a mediocre year. For most of the players, winning has just always come to them naturally through the years and now because of last year the team realizes that there actually is work to be done in order to be a successful team. This is the year to judge the worth of the group that went undefeated as freshman. I think you will see much better than 5-5. :blush:

Lets look at the real problems. Its not the players. They are loaded!!!!! If you have followed this group of upcoming 11 and 12th graders you will find that many had not lost 2-3 games in their life until they reached JCHS. The Middle school programs simply dominated their comp during these years. White Pine had not lost a game in 4 years and JC and Dandridge had nominated the big 8. The problem is that they have done a poor job of putting the talent together at JCHS!!!! Look at the players that changed positions last year. This is the problem. Players in wrong positions. How many years do they have? They are betting the farm on this one class. What happens after that, 3 and 7 again when half the tallent has left or gone to West or somewhere else. One of the reasons that Brimer had to go was the big disagreement over the quarterback position. He insisted that our quarterback play defense and receiver, but never quarterback!! This is not opinion but facts!! Get goins in space where he can score touchdowns. The fact that he is fast is but the main reason that you move him out into space where he can succeed. Can you see Reggie Bush as a quarterback?? Goins can be our Reggie Bush!! The veer is set up to hit the hole fast with a fullback and hit the corners with speed with a quarterback that can read. Its not necessary for the quarterback be fast but it is critical that he can read and distribute the ball. Notice I said distribute the ball. Its too easy to key on the quarterback. Thats the reason he gives it to someone else either by handing it off or by play action pass. If you were the defensive coaches on the other sideline, would you not love it if the oposing quarterback kept it most of the time. TOO EASY TO STOP. This gets us to the next issue. If they do not find a way to be 60-40 BALANCED, they will go out of the playoffs early as one to the big Knoxville teams will load the box and stop the run. Thats why the veer died may years ago and colleges went to the pro or spread formations. Whats sad is that we have the talent to run it very well. Our back can punish people in Counts. Mason, Goins, and Bo are simply special in space. Is it really that hard??? Our offense should put 40 on the board each game but we are stuck in the 60 and 70's with the veer!! can you imagine Army playing Florida or Alabanma and competing on a regular basis. Could you imagine Tennessee running the veer? Then why would we hire someone that refuses to move us forward. This simply kills our boys in college recruiting as well. How many coaches will look at an offensive player that runs the veer. No one but CN A reader said a few days ago the the Bible kid has a great arm but does not fit this program and he is correct!!! Peyton manning would not fit this program. He would simply move away! Get the picture. Its time for JCHS to step up to SEC type offenses. We have the talent to do so most years. In fact our talent pool demands that we do so. We cant run over anyone as our line is too small. We must dink and dunk and get our playmakers in space. We have too much pride to stay down this long. We need a set of coaches that can lead change. Im not criticizing the coaches efforts as they give much time but the results are simply too much to overlook. How can you defend the same coaches that blew a 28 point lead at W. Blount. They should have been fired after that blowup. In short get real and make the hard choices..anything else is putting a bandaid on a heart attach.

Well when you look at it the patriots have been younger than their opponents across the board for the past 2 years. This a healthy portions of the teams senior years so they do have that sense of urgancy. I believe just as a result from last year the whole jchs football organization has become much more focused this year. As I said in my previous post, the S and C class in years past has not been very productive but things are changing this year. The work that is being put in is very exciting and I realize that most people dont have the chance to see it, they just get to see the results. Those results from last year were disappointing. I realize that but just give this team a chance to grow up from a mediocre year. For most of the players, winning has just always come to them naturally through the years and now because of last year the team realizes that there actually is work to be done in order to be a successful team. This is the year to judge the worth of the group that went undefeated as freshman. I think you will see much better than 5-5. :thumb:

I'm sorry but someone is to blame if these kids have thought winning would always be easy and come naturally. If you didnt know there are some kids out there that want to win and be sucessful, and know it wont come easy. Therefore, they are working their tails off each and everyday to get to that level of competition they desire. If these seniors are just now realizing they have to work hard to get better and be a good team, someone has made a major mistake in developing these players. I want this team to be sucessful just as much as anyone, but until some personal and attitude changes are made its hard for me to believe this team will ever return to the glory days.