Region 6 Results

PRTiii

Team Scores:

1. Franklin 207.50 2. Ravenwood 179.00 (tie) Independence 179.00 4. Brentwood 147.00 5. Overton 107.00 6. East Literature 87.00 7. Antioch 79.50 8. McGavock 79.00 9. Glencliff 78.00 10. MLK 53.00 11. Hunters Lane 46.50 12. Centennial 45.00 13. Hillsboro 44.00 14. Hume Fogg 26.00 15. David Lipscomb 21.00 16. Cane Ridge 18.00 17. Hillwood 13.00 18. Page 12.00 19. TSB 5.00 20. Whites Creek 0.00 (tie) Maplewood 0.00

Championship Finals:

103-Jack Finnegan (RVNW) M-Dec 13-5 Mo Overton (INDP)

112-Blake Thomas (BRNT) Fall 3:46 Brandon Greer (ANTC)

119-Patrick Chadwick (OVRT) Dec 9-7 Ernie Overton (INDP)

125-Caleb Little (INDP) Fall 0:59 Brad Compton (FRNK)

130-Austin Woods (FRNK) M-Dec 11-3 Austin Heithcock (INDP)

135-Luis Muniz (GLNC) Dec 10-9 Brian Keiffer (RVNW)

140-David Chege (RVNW) Dec 8-7 Josue Brown (HNTR)

145-Brennen Cox (INDP) Dec 3-0 Zach Bennett (FRNK)

152-McCoy Newberg (INDP) T-Fall 20-5; 4:17 Cameron Edafe (ESTL)

160-Everett Colbert (MCGV) M-Dec 13-4 Mitchell Clemmons (GLNC)

171-Christian Tambellini (INDP) Dec 11-6 Manuel Garcia (MCGV)

189-Nick Garrett (ESTL) Dec 7-2 Raymond White (OVRT)

215-Cameron Croy (BRNT)Fall 5:18 Harrison Hawthorne (RVNW)

285-Matt Bridges (BRNT) Dec 3-2 Isaiah Anderson (FRNK)

Consolation Finals:

103-Alan Bekhtyar (FRNK) Fall 4:11 Kyler Smith (CNTN)

112-Jacob Freeman (RVNW) Dec 5-2 Andrew Lowe (MLK)

119-Alex Bennett (FRNK) Dec 2-0 Kyle Kuehnhold (RVNW)

125-Ryan Churchill (RVNW) M-Dec 11-2 Gabe Hamilton (BRNT)

130-Trey Thigpen (OVRT) Dec 6-3 Carlos Garcia (MCGV)

135-Matthew Cilimberg (FRNK) Dec 9-7 Kevin Bratt (INDP)

140-Parker Smith (CNTN) Fall 1:32 Chris Dorsa (BRNT)

145-Kyle Chandler (MLK) M-Dec 11-2 Kenny Chatfield (BRNT)

152-John Shrader (FRNK) Dec 10-5 Donovan Freeman (RVNW)

160-Jonathan Mabry (RVNW) Injury Dflt Dylan Demonbreun (FRNK)

171-Chris Cartwright (ESTL) Dec 2-1 Denzel Caldwell (ANTC)

189-Timmy Wilson (FRNK) Fall 2:01 Marvin Mondesir (ANTC)

215-Michael Clemons (GLNC) Fall 1:19 Michael Constantine (FRNK)

285-Kristauf Tate (OVRT) Fall 4:08 Gordon Chatman (ANTC)

brackets: http://matcontrol.org/wrestling0910/Reg ... on6brk.htm

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was anyone else confused by the pin call in the 125 final? Indy's Caleb Little had Franklin's Brad Compton locked upside-down in a split-legged vertical cradle, but looked like he had his own back against the mat at the same time. The ref called pin; I thought Compton had won by defensive pin, but apparently it was Little who got the pin from stacking Compton's shoulders during the cradle. Compton was livid after the call and stormed off the mat and out of the gym.

I couldn't tell if Compton's shoulders were pinned; I was preoccupied trying to see if Little was pinning himself. The wrestlers I talked to who were watching from the opposite side of the mat said Little's shoulders were flat on the mat. There were two referees watching closely, the lead ref crouched right behind Little, fans coaches and wrestlers yelling from both sides for a pin, it was an intriguing scenario.

What I'd like to know is: if Little indeed had his own back and shoulders against the mat while in offensive position scoring back points against Compton, does this invalidate the possibility of Little being pinned?

I'd also love to see video footage of the match if possible.

Nevertheless, congratulations to Caleb Little. Regardless of the controversy, his cradle was brilliant and he is the Region 6 champion at 125.

Was anyone else confused by the pin call in the 125 final? Indy's Caleb Little had Franklin's Brad Compton locked upside-down in a split-legged vertical cradle, but looked like he had his own back against the mat at the same time. The ref called pin; I thought Compton had won by defensive pin, but apparently it was Little who got the pin from stacking Compton's shoulders during the cradle. Compton was livid after the call and stormed off the mat and out of the gym.

I couldn't tell if Compton's shoulders were pinned; I was preoccupied trying to see if Little was pinning himself. The wrestlers I talked to who were watching from the opposite side of the mat said Little's shoulders were flat on the mat. There were two referees watching closely, the lead ref crouched right behind Little, fans coaches and wrestlers yelling from both sides for a pin, it was an intriguing scenario.

What I'd like to know is: if Little indeed had his own back and shoulders against the mat while in offensive position scoring back points against Compton, does this invalidate the possibility of Little being pinned?

Nevertheless, congratulations to Caleb Little. Regardless of the controversy, his cradle was brilliant and he is the Region 6 champion at 125.

It's called a Spladle, not a "split-legged vertical cradle." From the looks of it, the call could have gone either way as far as the pin is concerned. I would venture to say in a situation like that that the offensive wrestler should get the nod because he initiated the exposure of his opponents back. That was a tough one for any ref to have to call. Regardless, he earned the crown of Region 6 125lb champ.

the refs sucked and they were very bias

Apparently sidkid is upset he got whipped on the mat and disqualified for kicking his opponent. But of course we will talk about the officiating. It was amazingly bad during this tournament. There were different opinions about everything. The 125 final call was horrible. Little was flat on the mat. I heard talk that the assisting official told the head official to check Independence's shoulders and he slapped the mat for the pinfall. There were wrestlers being called for stalling that were clearly looking and working for a shot. In the 135 final, Muniz of Glencliff was hit with stalling while shooting. On Friday, I saw Antioch's 112 hit with 3 stalling points while up 6-0 and constantly shooting while Overton's kid blocked off and did not attempt a shot. In the 140 final, Chege was clearly just holding on to prevent a takedown. Apparently the officials knew who they wanted to win. I want to say in the 160 consolation semis, a Franklin kid was reversed and slid on his back all the way out of bounds, and no back points were awarded. Franklin won in OT. Don't come back talking about come put some stripes on. I know the rules, and they were not consistent. Not to say that all of the officials were bad, but the older guy, I heard the name Jack, was the one with the most questionable calls. Another note, are coaches supposed to be on the mat and question most calls. Ravenwood's coach was on several occasions on the mat questioning calls. Shouldn't that be some sort of warning? Oh, well it is what it is, can't change the past. Good luck to all of the state qualifiers next week, represent your region well.

To answer your question.....No, it does not invalidate the possibility of Little getting pinned. Little was pinned for quite some time. The asst. ref that crouched behind Little immediately walked over and told the head ref about the defensive pin but he did nothing about it. Guess he was too tired to stand up and walk to the other side. Compton was never actually pinned. At the time the pin was called Compton's right arm and shoulder were still on top of Little. Everyone thought the ref finally called the defensive pin against Little and were shocked at the results. I have clear footage of the match. Little himself said he was scared because he thought he was pinned, and he was. Little's spladle was brilliant but if he attempts it at State and ends up on his back those refs will call the defensive pin immediately.

Congrats to both Little and Compton for making it to state....

Ok, I am not involved in region 6, heck im not even involved with the real jv division, BUT, I do have some problems with this post.

1. To say the refs were bias is stupid and Im getting annoyed with people blaming it on them.

2. I was not there, but here are a couple points I am getting from your post.

a. Little spladled Compton shortly into the first period.

b. Apparently Little was the only one pinned, yet they awarded him the W.

c. As soon as the pin was called, Compton freaked out.

Ok, here goes. Hey guys, heads up! A pin IS NOT only the shoulders, It is from the middle of the back UPTO the shoulders. If the middle of his back was on the mat for a period of two seconds then he is pinned. If the assistant ref went to the ref and told him to watch for the defensive pin and he didnt call the pin then obviously, according to the referee in charge of the match, he was not pinned. If the ref called the pin and Compton freaked out before going to the center of the mat to shake hands and find out that he, in fact, had lost the match. Obviously he knew he was pinned then, and that goes both ways. Did Little get up and celebrate? If so, then I would venture to say he didnt think he was pinned. And finally, he hit a spladle, and Compton was on his back. I tell this to my youth programs, you cant complain that you werent pinned when you were on your back! Shouldnt have been on your back to begin with.

Glory1(Which Im going to assume is Mrs. Compton)- Go ahead and post that video. I bet the rest of coacht would like something to argue about and I would love to see the footage since I couldnt make it.

PRTiii :lol:

Observations about fans, coaches, & wrestlers.

Lots of interesting things going on at the Region 6 tournament including:

The Negatives and Interesting:

1. Coaches accusing the folks of running the tournament of bias towards one team. Grow up coach.

2. A controversial call in the 125 lb. match between Indy & Franklin. From the stands, they both looked stuck. Ref calls the pin on Compton and the fun starts. Compton can't believe it and is obviously upset but gets it under control pretty quickly. Coach is upset but gets it under control pretty quickly. Now for mom, I guess what she did for the next 45 minutes is conduct a straw poll of every referree and fan in the gym about whether it was a defensive pin or not. IMHO, they both looked pretty stuck but the ref went to the back first rather than to the front. Oh well, tie goes to the offense.

3. Speaking of moms, I watched another mom come down to the head table after her preciuos was pinned(for what appeared to be about the 4th time). She told the referree and I quote-, "i guess you must have a date tonite as quick as you're calling pins" a long with a few more choice words that made my ears and bald head blush." I told the referee he ought to be happy that any woman was willing to pay attention to him even is she was pissed!" I wonder what parents are going to do when they cannot get on the floor at the state tournament next week?

4. I saw a parent who was coaching his child from the side of the mat give the head referee a hard time when he made him go to the stands with the rest of the parents. Ditto my questiona about what they are going to do when they cannot get on the floor next week?

3. I watched one wrestler, kick his oppenent in the head, get warned for hands to the face several time, throw his headgear, kick a water bottle, and storm off. I thought we got rid of most of those kids in Middle School?

4. I watched one of the Glencliff coaches sprint from Mat 1 all the way out of the gym when his kid did not get a call he wanted. That dude is fast. Is that considered unsportsmanlike?

The Good Stuff:

1. The 152 lb. semi-final between Newberg(Indy) and Freeman(Ravenwood). Well into the 3rd period while losing, Freeman gets his elbow injured by Newberg. The refereee deems the move that causes the injury illegal thus if Freeman can't continue, he wins. I never like to question a coach's motivation or a parents, but it sure did look like he was being encouraged to give it up. One quote I heard was, "Donovan, if you're hurt, you're hurt!". Donovan told his coach and dad he was fine and finished the match which he lost. He than walked around with ice on his elbow for about an hour, competed in the Consi - semis and won a close match 3-2 to qualify for state. It was a class act and I'm not a Ravenwood parent.

2. The Overton Heavyweight, Kristauf Tate, who is as round as he is tall qualifying for state by taking 3rd. His family was hilarious and he seems to be a great kid.

3. The 189 final when the East Lit. wrestler threw Overton's White at the very end of a 2-2 tie to win. Both wrestlers came up, hugged, and show tremendous sportsmanship. (Take notes other schools previously mentioned).

4. It was hilarious watching Cameron Croy sign autographs and take pictures with young fans. Hopefully, he's practicing for his NCAA career.

5. MatControl did a great job of running the tournament.

See everyone next week at the Ag/Expo Center

Ok, I am not involved in region 6, heck im not even involved with the real jv division, BUT, I do have some problems with this post.

1. To say the refs were bias is stupid and Im getting annoyed with people blaming it on them.

2. I was not there, but here are a couple points I am getting from your post.

a. Little spladled Compton shortly into the first period.

b. Apparently Little was the only one pinned, yet they awarded him the W.

c. As soon as the pin was called, Compton freaked out.

Ok, here goes. Hey guys, heads up! A pin IS NOT only the shoulders, It is from the middle of the back UPTO the shoulders. If the middle of his back was on the mat for a period of two seconds then he is pinned. If the assistant ref went to the ref and told him to watch for the defensive pin and he didnt call the pin then obviously, according to the referee in charge of the match, he was not pinned. If the ref called the pin and Compton freaked out before going to the center of the mat to shake hands and find out that he, in fact, had lost the match. Obviously he knew he was pinned then, and that goes both ways. Did Little get up and celebrate? If so, then I would venture to say he didnt think he was pinned. And finally, he hit a spladle, and Compton was on his back. I tell this to my youth programs, you cant complain that you werent pinned when you were on your back! Shouldnt have been on your back to begin with.

Glory1(Which Im going to assume is Mrs. Compton)- Go ahead and post that video. I bet the rest of coacht would like something to argue about and I would love to see the footage since I couldnt make it.

PRTiii :lol:

You know the old saying you should never assume....I don't know who Glory1 is but this is Mrs. Compton. You have painted a picture for yourself from what you read and made a few points that were inaccurate due to the lack of information provided. If people like you, especially since you were not there, would mind their own business these ridiculous posts would stop. As far as my video of the match, the only way I would post it is with Brad and Caleb's permission. The match is over...all you are doing is fueling the fire. Please don't ever involve me in your little games again.