8AA District Tourney

LA_Wildcats

I think I'm going to agree with both Row8 and gator on the referee thing. Its funny how we all see things differently or the way we want to see things. Gator, there probably were a lot of fouls not called both ways. But Upperman didn't get a foul called on them in the second half until about 4 minutes left in the fourth quarter. Now they either played great defense or no defense at all. Maybe it was that the tall ref actually did get mad at LA's coach in the first quarter when he questioned the foul on Ramsey when he was straight up. That same ref then made 4 straight calls against LA and was obviously ticked. He didn't do a very good job of hiding it. To me that is pretty unprofessional. The other two actually seemed to notice it and try to do the right thing. And the offensive foul on Ramsey? Sticking out an elbow doesn't constitute a foul. If Ramsey got away with it in the first half, he shouldn't have. It should have been called then, not late in the game when the mad ref made it before Ramsey got turned around.

I think Coach McWilliams does a great job with his kids. Funny though how officials got mad a LA's coach, who usually doesn't say much of anything, when Coach McWilliams yells at the refs quite alot. Congratulations to both teams for making it. Good luck to both. By the way, I agree that Upperman may be on a down year but LA lost 5 seniors last year as well. Congrats to Brad Jackson. Great ovation from the LA faithful shows how proud everyone is of this kid.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm going to agree with both Row8 and gator on the referee thing. Its funny how we all see things differently or the way we want to see things. Gator, there probably were a lot of fouls not called both ways. But Upperman didn't get a foul called on them in the second half until about 4 minutes left in the fourth quarter. Now they either played great defense or no defense at all. Maybe it was that the tall ref actually did get mad at LA's coach in the first quarter when he questioned the foul on Ramsey when he was straight up. That same ref then made 4 straight calls against LA and was obviously ticked. He didn't do a very good job of hiding it. To me that is pretty unprofessional. The other two actually seemed to notice it and try to do the right thing. And the offensive foul on Ramsey? Sticking out an elbow doesn't constitute a foul. If Ramsey got away with it in the first half, he shouldn't have. It should have been called then, not late in the game when the mad ref made it before Ramsey got turned around.

I think Coach McWilliams does a great job with his kids. Funny though how officials got mad a LA's coach, who usually doesn't say much of anything, when Coach McWilliams yells at the refs quite alot. Congratulations to both teams for making it. Good luck to both. By the way, I agree that Upperman may be on a down year but LA lost 5 seniors last year as well. Congrats to Brad Jackson. Great ovation from the LA faithful shows how proud everyone is of this kid.

Excellent post, and great points.

The elbow thing, and I dont mean to pick on the kid, I had a great view of both. I may have had a better view than the refs. (I switched ends at the half) It was not just sticking out the elbow, and they were more than just the normal swing. They were pretty rough, with elbows all the way out. I am 100% certain the kid was not trying to hurt anyone, but like I said, I had a great view both times and they were clear fouls. Again, not trying to pick on the kid. BTW, was that the Freshman??? The Ramsey household has put out some dadgum fine basketball players!!! Id hate to have to fight for a biscuit over breakfast in that house!!!

I try not to understand the refs anymore. I saw the same thing you did with the refs attitude. There is no place for that in HS basketball. They need to be more professional than that. I was talking about this exact thing during the first half with a friend from Smith Co. We both agreed that Coach Melton usually has the refs right where he needs them (not by special treatment from the refs, but because he usually knows the right way to argue something) and MrCoachMcWilliams sometimes has a T before he gets out of the lockerroom. It was strange to see it the other way around.

Side note: I was at the Middle School tourney in Springfield on Saturday night, and the ref actually turned and explained a call to someone in the crowd. :roll: Crazy.

Good luck the rest of the way, hope we meet up again!!

N2DEEP..good to see you on the boards... I agree about the ref that copped an attitude when Melton questiond his all on Ramsey. At the time LA was rolling at like 13-1. The ref kept jawing at melton as if daring him to speak so he give him a T. Melton didnt fall for but LA paid for it. He alone tried to take the flow away for m LA who came out strong, intense, and all out while Upperman could do nothing about it till the referBEE took over. (LOL..thats funny). Every one wants to give B Mc all the credit for the job hes done with his kids, which btw is remarkable. But give Melton his too (they did in the reg. season COY) cause he has to get his kids up to play against lesser talent and thats harder to do than take lesser talent to get up for the one with the bulls eye!!

N2DEEP..good to see you on the boards... I agree about the ref that copped an attitude when Melton questiond his all on Ramsey. At the time LA was rolling at like 13-1. The ref kept jawing at melton as if daring him to speak so he give him a T. Melton didnt fall for but LA paid for it. He alone tried to take the flow away for m LA who came out strong, intense, and all out while Upperman could do nothing about it till the referBEE took over. (LOL..thats funny). Every one wants to give B Mc all the credit for the job hes done with his kids, which btw is remarkable. But give Melton his too (they did in the reg. season COY) cause he has to get his kids up to play against lesser talent and thats harder to do than take lesser talent to get up for the one with the bulls eye!!

:hungry: ...ummm...yeah, Im going to stick with "he lost 5 starters also". But it is your story, tell it anyway you want. Kudo's none the less.

:roflol:

gator..i went by you tonight...then realized it was you...i will do better next time to say hey. I know we see stuff differently though...but i dont apologize for being right! :hungry:

Definately grab me and say hello next time!! Im battling an ear infection right now, so I probably look a little rougher than normal, but Im still not biting any heads off!!! :roflol:

Im sure we will be in the same gym again this year!! Look forward to chatting! (and proving my self right.....again) :thumb:

Boy how time flies. I thought the COD had only coached 5 seasons. But if he has won 6 straight dist. titles i guess he's coached 6. Great halftime adjustments by the COD not giving up a point in the 3rd qtr. to the Bees. In the words of R.E. "LA has taken Upperman completely out of their game." Nice and deserved award for Jackson.

Boy how time flies. I thought the COD had only coached 5 seasons. But if he has won 6 straight dist. titles i guess he's coached 6. Great halftime adjustments by the COD not giving up a point in the 3rd qtr. to the Bees. In the words of R.E. "LA has taken Upperman completely out of their game." Nice and deserved award for Jackson.

That reads like your happy to report the coach only won 5 in a row other than 6 in a row. :hungry:

(thanks for the info by the way)

Atleast you said something nice about Brad. Way to go Pianoman10!

I think you were closer when it come to getting the score right i think it was row8? You were off by two and im suprised I thought the Bees would bring more than that to this game. Upperman either played a very off game or the LA defence steped it up about 10 notches from what they have played all year at half time. All I have to say is WOW to what happened in the third quarter. Has Upperman ever been kept scoreless in a quarter? As to the refing tonight not to bad but not to good either. Alot of no calls and calls that shouldnt have been made on both teams. Im still not sure that 8 straight calls can be justified like they did Upperman tonight in about 4 mins during the 4th quarter. And still not sure what baldy had against Melton but he sure seamed not to like him and showed it by making calls on the kids. Its officials like that, that have no right to be on a court. Upperman has a great team. Im not a big fan of McWilliams bc of the way he acts sometimes(but Melton can be just as bad when hes mad), but give him alot of credit he does a great job with his kids every year usually either wining the district or being runner up for as long as I can remember, but ive only followed hs sports for about 6 years. Im sure these two will meet again before the season is over.Congrads to Brad on MVP hes a hard worker. Let the Regional tourney begin! Good Luck to all till we meet again and GO HOGEYE! :hungry: