A solution everyone can hate equally!

swamp

I have it! A solution everyone can hate equally! How about we take all 307 football schools and the dozens of nonfootball schools and we divide them into classifications by enrollment. Then we divide them into districts/regions geographically. Then we let the top teams in their respective district/region go to championship playoffs.

How is this different from the current system, you may ask... by these following changes.

1. No Division II. Period.

2. No team is allowed to play outside where they fall by enrollment. If your enrollment says you are 2A and you are private, that's where you play. If you're public, that's where you play. You will not pick and choose with whom you will or won't compete!

Who do you think would go for it?

Could a 4A play a 5A team who has been a traditional rival and big draw at the gate?

My new idea is to separate the publics and privates. They can play each other during the regular season, but are not forced to because of their classification.

The public and privates meet in a Super Bowl Series. The larger privates play the larger publics, etc. The 5A Public Champ plays the largest Private Champ in one of the Super Bowl Games.

It would be like the old AFL vs. the old NFL. Big gates and big interest for all.

Yes, they could play. Just like now there would be non-region (non-district) games which would have minimal effect on playoffs. I would even consider adding a regular season game to accomodate. I would recommend adding a regular season game and dropping a playoff round. One game could be designated to have a percentage of receipts go to TSSAA to offset revenue loss from dropping the playoff round.

I'm against the following plans:

The current system

Any system with more than 5 champions

A total split

I'm open to:

My "everybody will hate it" plan

Multiplier if that means eliminating D2.

Posted by StanTrott:

Swamp, why would you prevent a school from moving up in a classification?

This would prevent a Trousdale from moving up, right? And there would be no privates in 5A -- without a multiplier, right?

The reason for preventing teams from playing up is to prevent teams from picking with whom they will and won't play. The Upper Cumberland teams moving up (not meaning to single them out) has created goofy geography and region alignments in current 3A. I think 2A teams playing in 2A would create better competition within 2A. You would also likely have BA in the same division as Ezell and the ABC privates. Afaik, Tennessee is one of few states that allow teams to play up.

There would likely be privates in 4A and 5A with McCallie, Baylor, CBHS, etc. That's where most of the "Super 7" would fall (except BA).

Posted by panfan:

Swamp,

you forgot the main reality in this thing. You are using logic in this situation. Split supporters do not allow logic or reasonable thoughts. They ONLY allow thoughts that are in their best interest. Logic is not allowed in the picture.

I, however, like your idea.

It's a lot less complicated than mulitpliers, multiple divisions, or splits! I'm sick of watered-down competition!

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

So MUS with an enrollment of about 350-400 boys is going to be in 1A?

I guess that all male and all female could be accounted for somehow. At that number they would likely be 2A with no adjustment. I'll amend this plan to allow adjustments for all-male or all-female, but I don't necessarily think privates should have to face a multiplier just because they are private.