WHO DO U THINK WOULD WIN??

TJantioch135

As I mentioned on a previous thread:

-Pull out your program, look at state champs in the years before the split, see who one the most of them. DII schools won 2-5 out of 13/14 wieght classes. NEVER more than half.

- My guess is nothing much has changed. DII schools would win about 2-5 weight classes, DI would win 9-12 of them. Again, check the program.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned on a previous thread:

-Pull out your program, look at state champs in the years before the split, see who one the most of them. DII schools won 2-5 out of 13/14 wieght classes. NEVER more than half.

- My guess is nothing much has changed. DII schools would win about 2-5 weight classes, DI would win 9-12 of them. Again, check the program.

Well, using that logic, I'm glad you concede that the better teams are in DII, since they won about 70% of the state championships before the split.

According to program in the past ten years before the split D2 teams won 5 and D1 teams won 5. That would be 50%. IF quick count is correct, 18 -18 before the split for current D1 vs. current D2. Yoadrian, if thats the case, would you say that the teams are close to equal at the top, but the individuals titles would be significantley in favor of the D1.

Calebsdad, hope you are having a great Sunday! Here is what else I hope for you...I hope your son won (unless the ref cheated him), I hope your nephew won (same about the ref), I hope you won back in the day ( if not, believe it or not, you can live vicariously through SOMEBODY), I hope your team won, and even better, I hope all of them won injured, or because they are better coached, or tougher, or just plain meaner! I also hope D1 wins every time they step on the mat....because they deserve it...your research supports it...think of how sweet it will feel to beat the D2 folks, and continue to dominate the sport....A wise man told me once, no matter how good you are,a nd how good you think you are, go around the next corner, and there might be someone better...no excuse, no advantage in anything, just plain better....maybe we ought to put all of this in some kind of perspective, and enjoy what we have and see, and call it a day. Since I have proclaimed in my own mind ythat you are 100 % correct, then there wouldn't be any good reason to continue this line of reasoning that you have...you have won, Sir!

According to program in the past ten years before the split D2 teams won 5 and D1 teams won 5. That would be 50%. IF quick count is correct, 18 -18 before the split for current D1 vs. current D2. Yoadrian, if thats the case, would you say that the teams are close to equal at the top, but the individuals titles would be significantley in favor of the D1.

No, I was just basing it on from 1970 to the 1997 split, DII won 16 team titles, DI 11, with notre dame winning one, so we could give that 1/2 to each. 68%.

conavy2 -

- Sorry if I somehow offended you by saying to look at the past. I really didn't mean to hurt you - and I sincerely mean that.

- I feel these posts are crazy between D1 and D2. I have been reading them for the past six years. I think it is not fair to get on here and post the day after a kid won the gold that he would lose to someone else he didn't wrestle(ie he is not really the best).

- You will never read me say one kid WOULD lose to another - only what actually happened on the mat. Trust me, many kids won the gold last night after being told by the experts they couldn't do it. To them ALL I say congrats!! In my book they would all win the next match (if they had one.)

conavy2 -

- Sorry if I somehow offended you by saying to look at the past. I really didn't mean to hurt you - and I sincerely mean that.

- I feel these posts are crazy between D1 and D2. I have been reading them for the past six years. I think it is not fair to get on here and post the day after a kid won the gold that he would lose to someone else he didn't wrestle(ie he is not really the best).

And yet you do. Dang, re-read your posts about DI being soo much better. Easy fix, since DI is so dominate, let's put them back together. DII will barely make a dent in the gold rush of DI. All DIers for it, raise your hand! cricket, cricket...that's what I thought.

yoadrian -

- You win by attrition, because this is it for me. Explain to this public educated mind how you get 15 titles out of 27 is 68%? My limited education wolud think that was 55%. Why stop at the magical 27 years? 10, 20, 30, or total would make more sense to me.

- My opinion is if there was one tourney, the past would probably predict the future. Just my opinion. I in no way implied this would hold true in a one vs. one match.

- I'm not the most educated wrestling fan, so I listen when someone corrects me. That's why I looked at the data and was surprised, as I would not have guessed it to be that way.

152 Aguilar (Brad) vs. Duncan (Mc)

Duncan dec over Aguilar

Duncan continues to dominate the competition. Only losses this year were to Luster ranked in the top 10 in the country by Intermat. Also a close match to Todd, the 160 lbs state champion from D2.

Aguilar had a huge senior year being undefeated and claiming the D1 title at 152. He had two close wins in the semis and finals over Newberg of Indy and Lilly of Collierville, respectively. Newberg and Lilly placed 4th and 5th at the Father Ryan tournament in a bracket the TJ Duncan won easily (all pins and an injury default). Newberg was majored by Downs, who was majored by Duncan in the D2 finals. There will likely be some upset D1 fans, but the nod here has to go to Duncan. The common opponents would say this should be a major, but given these are champs, stick with the decision.

Team Score: D1 7 D2 22

171 Proctor (Cville) vs.Wesley (Ryan)

Proctor dec. over Wesley

This is the most difficult of all the matches to choose and will rightfully so get some argument from the D2 fans. Both are multiple time state champions (Proctor 2x and Wesley 3x). Both did not lose to anyone this year in the state of TN. Both pretty much pinned or tech'd anyone brave enough to step on the mat with them. Proctor won the D1 state tournament in 3OT, but arguably with tougher competition. Wesley won a 5-1 decision in the finals.

Team Score: D1 10 D2 25

Other than these two, that was a nice summary. Duncan would easily major Aguilar. The kid is just unflappable - not to mention unstoppable. And there is NO way Proctor would beat Wesley. Wesley would blow through him with a couple of double legs and ride him out...maybe even turn him a time or two.

yoadrian -

- You win by attrition, because this is it for me. Explain to this public educated mind how you get 15 titles out of 27 is 68%? My limited education wolud think that was 55%. Why stop at the magical 27 years? 10, 20, 30, or total would make more sense to me.

- My opinion is if there was one tourney, the past would probably predict the future. Just my opinion. I in no way implied this would hold true in a one vs. one match.

- I'm not the most educated wrestling fan, so I listen when someone corrects me. That's why I looked at the data and was surprised, as I would not have guessed it to be that way.

-You are right, 16 out of 27 would be 60%. My public education failed me...sort of why I will work 2 jobs to send mine to private. Disclaimer, it's hard to find better schools than rural publics. A completely different animal than urban.

-Just disagree. Lobby for that one tournament thing though.