BA - Pope John Paul

WesVLT

It was announced today that in order to compensate for the game BA missed when the Harding Academy game was cancelled (transformer blew), the Eagles have added Pope John Paul to the schedule for this Friday night. I'm not joking. Apparently the JV players will start the game except for Special Teams. Tell me if you have additional information, this was said during announcements this morning and I'd LOVE to verify it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by WesVols:

It was announced today that in order to compensate for the game BA missed when the Harding Academy game was cancelled (transformer blew), the Eagles have added Pope John Paul to the schedule for this Friday night. I'm not joking. Apparently the JV players will start the game except for Special Teams. Tell me if you have additional information, this was said during announcements this morning and I'd LOVE to verify it.

Yes, it's true. Will essentially be a JV game.

Posted by rhinob59:

Who is Pope John Paul? (I know who he really is, but who are they) Obviously not very good if BA's playing their JV. My only thought is, when they go to play McCallie in two weeks, how ready are they going to be not having played a real game in several weeks?

A new Catholic high school just outside of Nashville. I think they field their first official varsity team in '03 or '04. I would assume this game would not count towards standings or statistics.

Posted by just1np:

Why should it count? I can understand the imprtance of getting the kids some expierence, but why should it count towards anything? TSSAA doesn't use the BCS. So why?

I agree. Whether the game counts doesn't concern me so much - BA will not need this win to make the playoffs. However, I'm not sure why the stats should count. I presume that all state and national high school records are based on results versus varsity teams. Why should stats be counted against non-varsity teams? Will this open up a can of worms where varsity teams petition to play JV teams?

No no, BABOB, you don't have to play 10 games. You can play 9, 8 or three if you want. What they probably want to do is play a game in case down the road, the conference standings go to overall record. However, I don't see John Paul II being listed as a official TSSAA Varsity team. they are listed in no region. I don't see how this game could count towards anything. My guess is that the BA folks want to get the kids some time on the field. I'd bet my lunch tomorrow this game can't count towards their TSSAA record, but I won't bet dinner b/c I am not that sure. I'd also bet Darth Vador knows that it won't count(obviously, no matter how much I dislike the guy, he knows what he is doing) or, he has found a loop hole in the rules to count it.

Posted by panfan:

No no, BABOB, you don't have to play 10 games. You can play 9, 8 or three if you want. What they probably want to do is play a game in case down the road, the conference standings go to overall record. However, I don't see John Paul II being listed as a official TSSAA Varsity team. they are listed in no region. I don't see how this game could count towards anything. My guess is that the BA folks want to get the kids some time on the field. I'd bet my lunch tomorrow this game can't count towards their TSSAA record, but I won't bet dinner b/c I am not that sure. I'd also bet Darth Vador knows that it won't count(obviously, no matter how much I dislike the guy, he knows what he is doing) or, he has found a loop hole in the rules to count it.

I believe it's simply to get a little action in so they don't have a three week layoff before the McCallie game. I don't think anyone is looking to pad stats, and I doubt that the first teams will see a lot of action for BA, except on special teams. Then again, Bliss might kick a 65 yarder! It is an officially sanctioned TSSAA game. If you read the link to Nashville City Paper on this site, Coach Flatt called Ronnie Carter personally to make sure.

BTW, panfan, what do you have against Coach Flatt? Do you know the man?

Guest coach442

I think this is a good game for BA, it will do 3 things for them 1. it will give there starters a couple pops to help get them ready for McCallie . 2. It will help BA with their overall record, in case it is needed in a tie-breaker situation and 3. it will give some of the reserves and younger guys invaluable playing time in front of a home varsity crowd. A few younger players to watch for: the jevon kearse like matt thompson ( 90 ), the big d- david vanderpool ( 78 ), and the overachieving hefty lefty- ( 58 ), though Mccelhenny will be inactive this will be a great time for him to drink up on his protein shakes.

ITSME,

I have met Vador a few times. Mostly, I dislike him b/c he is the man most responsible for the current horrible state of football in TSSAA. He cheated so bad and gave private schools such a bad reputation all by himself that he just makes me want to puke. Plus, if you look at the last 10 years or so at his school and look at what happened to a few of his players once their playing careers were over, it is obvious he is not teaching his players to be well rounded men.

To cap it off, look what he did to Tom Moore. Let's face it, Darth Vador has not a good bone in his body.