DII - 125 Match

2blLeg

Not sure the name of the ref that called the 125 finals last night, but that was one of the worst jobs of calling a match I have seen in a long time.

Now, before anyone gets all upset. NO, my son was not in this match.

Not saying who would have one this match, but because this ref made this match all about himself, none of us will ever know for sure. You not only cheated 2 young men out of a good match, but you cheated everyone watching that match. It's sad when the winning coach was overheard saying "that ref made that entire match about him, and not the boys".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, does anyone know the name of the referree that called the 125 lbs match in DII? I spoke with the parents of both of these wrestlers yesterday and they both felt cheated out of a true match due to a referree trying to make the tournament all about him.

I think it was Bowler? The officiating inconsitencies from match to match do need to be addressed. Some of their interpretations are not even close. 160 stood out as unusual as well.

I think it was Bowler? The officiating inconsitencies from match to match do need to be addressed. Some of their interpretations are not even close. 160 stood out as unusual as well.

what part of the state is he from?

Who officiated the 160 match?

All I can say is that I've never seen that particular official do that terrible of a job. He's a well respected official but that was a terrible display in the 160 finals! I know that official but I won't mention his name.

what part of the state is he from?

Who officiated the 160 match?

All I can say is that I've never seen that particular official do that terrible of a job. He's a well respected official but that was a terrible display in the 160 finals! I know that official but I won't mention his name.

that's fair enough, but it's a shame these kids have to live with this stuff. I know watching the 125 match, the kid that lost has to live with something that was totally screwed up by an adult. And not just a mistake, but a horrible job. I can live with a bad call here and there, but not an entire match. And it turns out, this is the same ref that called a 215 match earlier in the day, and messed that match up as well.

As a red tribe supporter, I'll 2nd the horrible officiating of Mr. Bowler (I'm going off the other poster so if it wasn't Mr. Bowler please accept my apology) in the 125 D2 finals. I watched from the mezzanine Alex's father suffering through it and I'm sure Mr. Baker who is also a very experienced wrestling parent suffered as well. I can't imagine how the competitors must have felt. I've followed Alex all season and I don't recall him being called for stalling the entire year. The couple of times I've seen Baker I left impressed with his aggressiveness but somehow both competitors were penalized 3 times each for stalling? Beyond the ridicules stalling calls, there was a takedown called with only 1 foot controlled while going out of bounds and a no TD called with both legs wrapped up and both feet in bounds. There were also at least 2 times a stalemate was called within 5 seconds where I thought progress was still being made. This could have been one of the best and highest scoring matches of the tourney except Mr. Bowler (where is he from?) decided we all needed an officiating performance - what a joke you are sir. If I was a purple brother this could be taken as sour grapes so consider this critique is from the winning side.

To Danny Gilbert - you did great with the announcing, but the officiating talent pool couldn't spare your services.

Usually you can depend on Bowler to call 'em right. He's one of the more seasoned middle TN officials. VERY CONFIDENT in his calls. If I remember right the first call within 40 seconds may have been warranted by Baker not bringing Manley back to the mat within the usual five count. After that, they were not allowed to rassell, IMHO.

Middle TN refs are coming along from I've seen over the past several years. You're right about Gilbert, Craft, Elsie and others in our chattanooga corner of the state, but we also have David Hodges, Kyle Davis, Barry Clark, Dunning, and and several others, including another that came over from Washington state not long ago and may I add Jeff Hudgins who coming back and enhancing a growing talent pool in middle TN. So don't think this one match reflects what we are seeing here in middle TN as far as officiating.

Usually you can depend on Bowler to call 'em right. He's one of the more seasoned middle TN officials. VERY CONFIDENT in his calls. If I remember right the first call within 40 seconds may have been warranted by Baker not bringing Manley back to the mat within the usual five count. After that, they were not allowed to rassell, IMHO.

Middle TN refs are coming along from I've seen over the past several years. You're right about Gilbert, Craft, Elsie and others in our chattanooga corner of the state, but we also have David Hodges, Barry Clark, and and several others, including another that came over from Washington state not long ago that is adding to a growing talent pool in middle TN. So don't think this one match reflects what we are seeing here in middle TN as far as officiating.

The one match does reflect it, and that's the problem. First, not sure about the other areas, but West TN teams have a hard time getting a fair shake by the middle TN refs. Not the same for the other 3 areas, but for middle TN refs it sure is. And it's to the point where one coach (that doesn't complain) said that he has to adjust the way he coach's a match, because of history of calls his team gets in middle TN.

Next, it was this same ref that called another match just that same day, that cost that kid the match. Not sure I have ever seen this in all the years with the tournament in Chatt, but have seen it on more than a dozen matches in middle TN. And quite a few this year alone.

I'm glad to hear that new refs are moving into the area, but the progress doesn't seem to be happening fast enough. This one poor kid will have to live with the fact that he was cost a state championship because of a ref. One bad call does happen, but not an entire match. And then, to see that it was the same ref calling another horrible match in the same tournament is a bit much.

Middle TN refs are coming along from I've seen over the past several years. You're right about Gilbert, Craft, Elsie and others in our chattanooga corner of the state, but we also have David Hodges, Barry Clark, and and several others, including another that came over from Washington state not long ago that is adding to a growing talent pool in middle TN. So don't think this one match reflects what we are seeing here in middle TN as far as officiating.

The one match does reflect it, and that's the problem. First, not sure about the other areas, but West TN teams have a hard time getting a fair shake by the middle TN refs. Not the same for the other 3 areas, but for middle TN refs it sure is. And it's to the point where one coach (that doesn't complain) said that he has to adjust the way he coach's a match, because of history of calls his team gets in middle TN.

Next, it was this same ref that called another match just that same day, that cost that kid the match. Not sure I have ever seen this in all the years with the tournament in Chatt, but have seen it on more than a dozen matches in middle TN. And quite a few this year alone.

I'm glad to hear that new refs are moving into the area, but the progress doesn't seem to be happening fast enough. This one poor kid will have to live with the fact that he was cost a state championship because of a ref. One bad call does happen, but not an entire match. And then, to see that it was the same ref calling another horrible match in the same tournament is a bit much.

Lets double that order of cheese.

Most posting on this board have no idea the rule changes that occur. Sommers brought up the one from a couple of years ago that allow for automatic stalling call when the wrestler in control fails to make an attempt to return the defensive wrestler to the mat.

Ok, so what constitutes an attempt? If 10 are posting on this board, you could easily get 10 different attitudes towards it and a lot of that would be based on whether your wrestler was on offense or defense.

You probably didnt know that last year the defensive wrestler should be penalized for standing up and walking off the mat. Or that the offensive wrestler is to be penalized for making no attempt to keep him on the mat (just follows him out of bounds).

Or how about if the offensive wrestler is turning his opponent and he bridges out of bounds.

The call?

Fleeing the mat.

Its in the book. If no near fall has been scored, he is penalized for fleeing the mat.

Now lets say your kid is on top and goes to turn him and that bottom kid bridges out of bounds and you KNOW the rule. Going to let it slide because its stupid (iyho) rule? If you do, you're not much of a coach. You're going to the table and get the point.

See, the NFHS brings down these rule tweaks every year. We hate it when they bring down something subjective because that only creates these types of threads on CoachT. But the national federation doesnt seem so impressed, so they keep doing it.

I think it is across the board but I know in MTN each official at the Region and State tournament passed a 100 question test with a score of 90 or above to qualify to call post season.

Maybe coaches should have to go and take the test.

Maybe fans should.

I am going to make a recommendation Brentwood contact Robert Orr/Sysco to be sure they have plenty of cheese on hand for the 3rd week in February, 2011.

I guess you think people are whining? The reality is that these kids, in a world of video games and general laziness, make a huge commitment and pour a ton of effort into achieving their goals. They deserve much better! You have seen comments from the winning side, the losing side and numerous bystanders with no personal interest in the match. How about instead of just blindly (and lazily) brushing it off as whining, have someone at the TSSAA review the match and provide some counseling or discipline to this referee. It wouldn't change the outcome of the match, but lessen the likelihood of it reoccuring.

The match will likely be posted online shortly. I suggest that Mr. Bowler re-watch it and afterwards, either tell the wrestling community what he was thinking or just apologize to the many on this thread that feel terrible for two young men and their parents that were cheated out of a great match.