40 times...

Many old school coaches watching Prospect Recruiting Video watch number of strides/5 yard distance. This works well for "skill position" players when they break into open field.

Fewer the strides the faster the kid.

The interior Lines on both sides still have to show their worth on film and position specific drills. 40's for these guys only show a degree of athleticism.

I disagree with the post about Recruiters "not" watching tape based on a 40 time. I'd hate to lose my job when the Head man asks me "did you watch tape on johnny?", and I say no b/c I was relying on someone's 40 time on the kid. And then the kid plays for your opponent and beats you. Time to look for a new job.

Sorry to differ with you ,but I do not believe "fewer the strides the faster the kid." The Holliday kid at L.S.U. just recorded the fastest time at the NFL combines and the guy is practically a midget. I doubt that he had the fewest strides.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought. They should time football players in the forty and other drills with pads on. That is the way my old high school coach timed us in the forty. I remember one day one of the assistants asking him why he timed us that way and his reply was, " when we stop playing without pads I will time them that way". Kind of funny! Made sense though! :motorbike:

The LSU kid is short and thus does not have great length.

But

If you had access to his game film you would see the distance he covers in the open field in a 5 yard straight stretch is compatible to others just as fast.

Test it out if you have a chance.

And this is not an exact science in identifying speed anymore than you or I holding a watch at the finish line. Just an old school way of I.D.'ing speed in the days before instant info.

The LSU kid is short and thus does not have great length.

But

If you had access to his game film you would see the distance he covers in the open field in a 5 yard straight stretch is compatible to others just as fast.

Test it out if you have a chance.

And this is not an exact science in identifying speed anymore than you or I holding a watch at the finish line. Just an old school way of I.D.'ing speed in the days before instant info.

I see your point. Maybe that is why vertical and broad jumps are important to measure. They measure the explosion factor that makes your stride longer,in effect "springing forward" while running.

If you have ever attended a state track meet, it is very interesting to study the body types of the athletes. Most of the 100m guys have huge glutes and quads. Stature and leanness of the runners tend to increase as the distance of the event increases.

[

If you have ever attended a state track meet, it is very interesting to study the body types of the athletes. Most of the 100m guys have huge glutes and quads. Stature and leanness of the runners tend to increase as the distance of the event increases.

Crawdad---just wondering------What is your favorite wild game when it comes to hunting? I'm just asking?

Well those that know me know I could not stay away from a thread like this. First off, great thread and very relevant. But as I put my 4.55 son throught the combines trying to get a college look I learned the reality. The first reality is 40 times rule in recruiting. That is totally unrealistic but fact. For example at Wake Forest the sub 4.5's went to one line and the rest went to another. Then the agility drills. My sons claim to fame. Hitting the hole faster than the sub 4.4 guys was his claim to fame. And breaking tackles was his trademark. He scholarshiped to a DII playoff school. But once he got there the coach told him he was hitting the hole too fast. He was coached to slow down to allow the block to develop. Bad system fit. The coach had effectively removed his trump card. My point. The system fit is the single most important factor. Regardless of numbers. Some offenses need quickness some don't. In my view quickness is the single most important trait a RB can bring to the table. And agility (tackle breaking ability) is essential to back up the quickness. If you don't have the 40 time then you better posess some other skills. If you are a white RB and run a 4.6 then good luck. Secondly, core strength is a prerequisite to all this. You won't get core strength lifting weights, running, or any other traditional regimen. Core strength is built using three different diciplines. Many will skoff but I have enough experience with my two children to know this is fact. Take your pick. :roflol:

1. Ballet - Teaches ultimate control of the legs and produces a finesse strength unequaled in any other dicipline.

2. Gymnastics - Probably the most demanding and most intense core strength building dicipline in existance. Brute strength.

3. Takwondo - Teaches core strength to produce ultra quick lower body movement and agility unmatched in the previous two diciplines. Produces lightning quick reaction times. This dicipline is most attuned to the football field of the three and uses isometrics in addition to the strength drills to produce extreme short twitch speed.

These diciplines should be initiated when the player is 5 years old. Then by the time they reach high school all they have to do is the interview after the game.

The speed equation:

Stride Length x Stride Frequency = Speed

Therefore, there's no optimum stride length or stride frequency but certainly speed coaches endeavor to increase both as it's the combination of (or synergy between) the two which determines the distance that can be covered in a given amount of time.

[

Crawdad---just wondering------What is your favorite wild game when it comes to hunting? I'm just asking?

Brilliant minds think alike....are you suggesting the lion, with those massive hind-quarters, can run down the antelope?....my stride is a lot longer than a turkey's,but I can't run one down...or are we actually hunting Hilltoppers now ...is season in on Vikings or Blazers?...I hear there will be no Indians harvested this year...same as every year....we need better ammo :)

For the

I work with a collegiate track team and that holds true a lot of the time. There are some exceptional kids with fully developed fast twitch fibers that rely on frequency more than stride length but still most of the guys I know that run under 10.5 all squat well over 400 pounds and most of them dont weigh 170. A powerful lower body is essential to stride length. 200 and 400 meters are usually just as strong if not stronger than 100 meter kids though because the curve takes much greater strength to run effeciently. Without a great core anybody over 100 meters will struggle to lift throughout the entire race.

If you want your kids to get faster it is relatively easy, stretch, squat, core. Those three combined with some explosive specific speed training drills will effectively increase speed.