NE TN (Morristown and East)--Signees

Let's put together a list of NE TN Signees---East of Morristown.

Joel Shrum--Sci.Hill--------OL----Brevard

Grayson Janeway-Sci.Hill---WR----Centre College

Isaac Bowman---Daniel Boone--OL--Brevard

Blake Shropshire--Daniel Boone--LB--Carson Newman

Matt Duncan-----Daniel Boone--LB-- Charleston Univ, W.Va

Patrick Hansen---Dobyns Bennett--OL--Coastal Carolina

Nathan Bush---Mo-West-----Lineman-- Tn Tech

Cody Forbes---Elizabethton--RB--------TN Tech

Ty Garvin------Sullivan South--MLB------VMI

Andrew Griffith--Sullivan Central--WR---Brevard

Arrick Blevins---Sullivan North---Kicker--Brevard

Brad Tallman---TN HIGH-----Athlete----Va Tech

Alex Taylor---Tn High-------OL--------Carson Newman

John Ellis Davis-TN High----DB---------Morehead State

Was Tallman a signee or a "preferred walk-on"?

Morehead State

I'm not sure what the technical answer is. He is walking on with hopes (promises) of scholarship money after the first year. As I watched him go thru the recruiting process, shortly after VA-T made it known that they wanted him to walk on, it seemed that all other options were "out the window"--I think Bradley was set all along on VA-T. He's a great kid, with great parents, and I hope his dreams come true.

What about Taylor Harmon--is he going somewhere??

Morehead State

I'm not sure what the technical answer is. He is walking on with hopes (promises) of scholarship money after the first year. As I watched him go thru the recruiting process, shortly after VA-T made it known that they wanted him to walk on, it seemed that all other options were "out the window"--I think Bradley was set all along on VA-T. He's a great kid, with great parents, and I hope his dreams come true.

Core...you either get a scholarship or you walk-on. There is no middle ground. Preferred walk-on is preferred of course, but never the less...a walk-on. They have no obligation and you get no guarantees. Obviously he has potential. But it is what it is.

I talked to Taylor Harmon at the Big 8 Basketball Banquet and he is currently not playing football at the next level. He told me he would just concentrate on his academics. I did detect a note of dissappointment in his voice. He, in my opinion, could play at the next level if the fit were correct. He is one of those local athletes that you hate to see hang it up before it is time. I wish him the best. :hungry:

Morehead State

Core...you either get a scholarship or you walk-on. There is no middle ground. Preferred walk-on is preferred of course, but never the less...a walk-on. They have no obligation and you get no guarantees. Obviously he has potential. But it is what it is.

You are correct. My insecurity was a result of not knowing exactly what a "preferred walkon" is. I supposed that it means he was invited to walk on, rather than asking to walk on. I was not sure what Bradley was "promised", so didn't want to mis-state anything. I know another local player who was invited to walk-on, (and liked the campus and the coaching staff) but was not willing to risk paying out-of-state tuition for one year in the hopes of making it big. After all, if they don't want you bad enough to offer a scholarship, just how excited about you are they?? This player has signed, subsequently, anyway, so it worked out for the best. Another learning-----there are college recruiters that are arrogant and nontrustworthy. There are recruiters who are sincere and honest and really good people.

But in the end, the recruiting game is a cut throat proposition, and it is "industry" wide, bar none. It is a job, and their job is dependent on "production". They all want the #1 players, and they string along the #3's and #4's, until the #1's are gobbled up by another school. If they get the #1, then they drop the 3's and 4's like yesterday's fatback. Anyone hoping to enter the recruiting ranks, and any parents supporting them, need to understand that going in, for , although it is often exciting, it is a cruel process, ---a day-to-day up-and-down roller coaster, not to mention a Full-Time Workload.

Now, back to Bradley---Bradley has chosen to take the Hard Road, but he knows what he wants, apparently, and is willing to make the sacrifice. I've alot of respect for him for that.

Morehead State

You are correct. My insecurity was a result of not knowing exactly what a "preferred walkon" is. I supposed that it means he was invited to walk on, rather than asking to walk on. I was not sure what Bradley was "promised", so didn't want to mis-state anything. I know another local player who was invited to walk-on, (and liked the campus and the coaching staff) but was not willing to risk paying out-of-state tuition for one year in the hopes of making it big. After all, if they don't want you bad enough to offer a scholarship, just how excited about you are they?? This player has signed, subsequently, anyway, so it worked out for the best. Another learning-----there are college recruiters that are arrogant and nontrustworthy. There are recruiters who are sincere and honest and really good people.

But in the end, the recruiting game is a cut throat proposition, and it is "industry" wide, bar none. It is a job, and their job is dependent on "production". They all want the #1 players, and they string along the #3's and #4's, until the #1's are gobbled up by another school. If they get the #1, then they drop the 3's and 4's like yesterday's fatback. Anyone hoping to enter the recruiting ranks, and any parents supporting them, need to understand that going in, for , although it is often exciting, it is a cruel process, ---a day-to-day up-and-down roller coaster, not to mention a Full-Time Workload.

Now, back to Bradley---Bradley has chosen to take the Hard Road, but he knows what he wants, apparently, and is willing to make the sacrifice. I've alot of respect for him for that.

Core, walking on has it's merits...especially if it is an invited i.e. "preferred" walk on. My son had preferred walk on invites to Troy and LSU. We learned the hard way. I should have let him walk on. The reason is purely money. Most...no all DII and NAIA schools cost upwards of 30K. Some pushing 40K. Very few are under 30K and if so not by a large margin. Let's say you got what my son got. That would be 25K. The school he scholarshiped to cost 37K. That left me with roughly 12K to pay out of pocket. So how does that compare to a DI state supported university? Well UT is roughly 15K. And that is before the Hope and any other government or academic assistance. In reality it would have been economically feasible to send him to walk on at UT. I would have saved money. LSU? A bit less expensive than UT...but out of state. No Hope and only academic and other government money. Still it would have been feasable. The advantage? A chance to make it at a DI school of your choice. Where would you rather be? Stuck in Egypt somewhere or in the SEC...or in Tallman's case the ACC. The reality? Many quality athletes are left behind every year. Surely you know this. It's a numbers game. If you walk on at least the coach is forced to see what you bring to the table. In my view it is a quantified risk. Especially for an athlete such as Tallman.

I read that he was a walk on the first year and then would get a full ride after that. They may have not had a scholarship to offer this year and made a deal to get him on board ?. That's the best I can figure.Either way,he is a fine athlete and could have went to a lot of smaller schools had he wished.