Melrose vs Jackson Northside

Icy

Did Melrose do a good job of defending Prather?

As Traderb said yes. It was typical Melrose Defense. Jackson is not even in the same league as Melrose. From the opening tip it was over. The lead was up to 30 at one point. Melrose big 3 was unstoppable. Chris Jones 32, Adonis Thomas 18 and Nate Rucker 18. Nate and Adonis put on a dunkfest with alley-oops and rim catchers. The Prather kid had trouble with players his size or taller. He could not shoot over Adonis and on several attempts he double pumped in mid are and chunked something up. He also was forced to play defense which is the reason he fouled out. Nice crowd and Congrats to the Golden Wildcats for heading to the state.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have come to the DC/WS game....you missed a goooooood one!!!..:lol:

From all accounts, you sure ain't kidding!!!

The White Station/DC game was definitely the game that I wanted to see, but--because of my schedule, I knew that I would not be able to get to Dyer County in time...

Like most Memphians, I also kinda' figured that Melrose would blow-out Jackson Northside. Yet, for my money, I'd still rather see Melrose than any of the other local Sub-State games.

Did Melrose do a good job of defending Prather?

As Traderb said yes. It was typical Melrose Defense. Jackson is not even in the same league as Melrose. From the opening tip it was over. The lead was up to 30 at one point. Melrose big 3 was unstoppable. Chris Jones 32, Adonis Thomas 18 and Nate Rucker 18. Nate and Adonis put on a dunkfest with alley-oops and rim catchers. The Prather kid had trouble with players his size or taller. He could not shoot over Adonis and on several attempts he double pumped in mid are and chunked something up. He also was forced to play defense which is the reason he fouled out. Nice crowd and Congrats to the Golden Wildcats for heading to the state.

Excellent observations about Prather....I could definitely see his individual talent, however. He is an EXCELLENT passer with outstanding court vision, solid ball-handling skills and ability of penetrate the lane. Combine all that with his size (6-5, 6-6 ??) and deep range on the (smooth) jump shot, I honestly think that Prather would make an outstanding Point-Guard!

I like Prather's game. I would love to see him move to the PG position (seriously), at Florida!

---------------------------------------------------

Here's something that I noticed about JNS:

Their defense was absolutely atrocious!

It looked and felt as though JNS was more concerned about conserving its energy for the offensive end, as opposed to putting 100% effort into stopping the other team....While I know that Melrose is a load for any defensive team, JNS just did not seem to play with enough defensive intensity.....That is a ALWAYS a recipe for losing big ballgames!

I agree with you TraderB...also nice seeing someone from the MS Talk message board on here (even though I know you are more of a TN guy), always like to hear your point of view, especially from another Memphian lol!

Howdy, SHSalumo4. Welcome to CoachT!!!!!

I again look forward to exchanging viewpoints with y'all Mississipians (U = Southaven Grad, I take it?) , when the HS Football season begins! It's always a whole lot of fun and very enlightening. :lol:

When are the State Tournament bracket matchups announced?

Saturday morning

here is the brakets link

http://www.tssaa.org/2009Champions/Stat ... racket.htm

Appreciate you knoxball. I was just wondering... I graduated from Melrose in the same class as Joe Jackson's aunt and remember his dad and uncle playing on the Melrose state championship team back in '78. Nino was at Melrose last year. Would you or anybody else on the board happen to know what other players on White Station's team have Orange Mound Ties?

When are the State Tournament bracket matchups announced?

Saturday morning

here is the brakets link

http://www.tssaa.org/2009Champions/Stat ... racket.htm

Appreciate you knoxball. I was just wondering... I graduated from Melrose in the same class as Joe Jackson's aunt and remember his dad and uncle playing on the Melrose state championship team back in '78. Nino was at Melrose last year. Would you or anybody else on the board happen to know what other players on White Station's team have Orange Mound Ties?

All I know of right now is Nino. I wish he had stayed. You talking about a huge help to Nate on the Inside. But it has worked out for him also, so im happy for that.