Predictions for the the District of Death (D.O.D)

dins8

A lot has changed since the beginning of the season, and a lot more will probably change before the district tournament, but if the tournament were played this week, it looks like Farragut and then Catholic or Bearden. I had thought this would be West's year to make a run, but it looks like they are probably not going to make it out of the DOD. Maryville has talent, but I am thinking they will be at home for the region as well.

So who is it going to be? Farragut and ????

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...it looks like Farragut and then Catholic or Bearden. I had thought this would be West's year to make a run, but it looks like they are probably not going to make it out of the DOD. Maryville has talent, but I am thinking they will be at home for the region as well.

So who is it going to be? Farragut and ????

The way that it is playing out is that Maryville controls their own destiny. Farragut will be #1 and Bearden will be #2. If Maryville beats West on Friday night, then they are 3rd and in Bearden's bracket. This would put Catholic at the 4 spot, which would be in Farragut's bracket.

Let's just say there is a lot riding on this game on Friday night.

District 11 being tougher??? I really have to disagree! Look at year to year results at the state tournament! Then make that argument!

Rankings are nice...but it is simple! Farragut and Bearden will be the top 2 this year! But...I will have to say that maybe sooner than later....this two power houses will start to fall. With the expanding school zoning lines and the talent pools for both being stretched....I can definitely see someone new rising.

The major thing is though....do these new school have quality coaches?? Bearden does? Farragut really doesn't...but he seems to do something right. Catholic or Knox West?? Quality coaches are the key!

I could be wrong, but I think w/ the Maryville/West tie, Catholic slides into the third spot with Maryville fourth and West fifth.

1.) Farragut

2.) Bearden

3.) Catholic

4.) Maryville

5.) West

6.) Lenoir City

7.) William Blount

8.) Heritage

Look right?

The major thing is though....do these new school have quality coaches?? Bearden does? Farragut really doesn't...but he seems to do something right. Catholic or Knox West?? Quality coaches are the key!

Farragut got a new head coach of the program in 2002. State Champions 2003,2004,2007,2009. As you say, he seems to do something right! :roflol:

Whats your credibility to make such a BOLD statement? Do yourself a favor and ask Eric Turner if "Farragut has quality coaching" ! :excl:

Obviously District 4 is much tougher year to year, and this year the top caliber teams are stronger. I think an argument can be made for this year though of District 11 being at least just as strong from top to bottom, if not stronger. How that turns out in state, who knows? Especially with District 11 teams having a lot less experience there, with the exception of Brentwood...Hopefully there will be some good soccer when these two DODs meet, then we'll see who is better and it won't matter what people say for this year.

I think an argument can be made for this year though of District 11 being at least just as strong from top to bottom, if not stronger. How that turns out in state, who knows?

Certainly both districts are strong. But, only two teams from each district can make it out of the district and ultimately to state. I feel certain that two teams from District 4 will make it to state. Perhaps there will be 2 teams from District 11 at state as well. Time will tell.

Since you mentioned Brentwood's experience at State, don't forget that Farragut dominated Brentwood last year at State, and Bearden outplayed Brentwood in the semifinals but lost. If you are Brentwood and you make it to state, you better hope that you don't draw Farragut in the quarterfinals.

I do believe Coach Turner at Bearden has just as many if not MORE state titles than the Farragut programs. Obviously Farragut has done very well since this new coach took over in 2002. No one can dispute that!

BUT...when you have the talent Farragut does the coach may not need to be good. I have seen Farragut play many times...they are very talented! Not very organized or disciplined! He does not seem to have control of his players or their egos!

Coach Turner on the other hand....has done more with far less talent! His teams play hard and it will always be a tough match when you play against Bearden!

Good luck to ALL...I will just sit back and wait! Maybe Farragut whens another title...maybe they blow up!

I dont even know how to approach your thoughts, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. As for the ego's, and discipline... Its a fulltime job keeping 18 year old boys focused. (especially when everyone brings their A game...EVERY game) Your one of many that will take shots at Farragut's program, and you wont be the last. We had a great season last year, and are trying to make another run this year. Organization/discipline? So I guess 16-0 just comes from luck? Not really sure how your statements make much sense. Noone questioned Bearden coaching, YOU questioned Farragut's coaching. I'm sorry you feel that there is no control of the players, but I disagree with you. Districts are right around the corner and then all the regular season records dont matter anymore. When did you become so educated on Knoxville teams? Thought you were a player from Middle TN.

I would agree with DVD 1, and yes, being coach Culbreth's friend, I am also biased. But I can tell you that coaching deals more with making a game plan, keeping 20 young men focused on a goal, and finishing a task set before you.

Most people don't see the things "behind the scenes" of coaching that we have to deal with. Most think that it is all X's and O's, tactics and such. It is SO much more than that. Coach Culbreth has done an outstanding job in his tenure. One HAS to know what they are doing, almost even more so with talent than without. I can't imagine having 27 seniors (I know it isn't that many, but it sure seems like it!) on a roster and keeping everything copacetic. To play the schedule that he has, and to be undefeated thus far, speaks volumes not just about his team, but about his coaching.