West Region at Pee Wee State

jcddmoon

The growth of club teams in the AAU West Region are beginning to pay off. The West Region had 71 wrestlers that took home medals on Saturday and 10 State Champions. The final count looked like this.

State Champions:

1. South Region: 11

2. West Region: 10

3. East Region: 3

4. North Region: 2

State Placers:

1. West Region: 71

2. South Region: 40

3. East Region: 15

4. North Region: 5

Keep up the hard work in growing the sport in the State of Tennessee. Good job wrestlers and coaches.

IKWC

The level of competition in the West is great and while I mean no disrespect, I believe the total number of place winners and state champions is somewhat skewed due to the lack of representation from the East & North Regions. I would venture a guess that the West outnumbered both East & North regions combined. I would be curious to see the place winners and champions as a percentage of total participants per region. This would give us a better idea how each region is stacking up.

The level of competition in the West is great and while I mean no disrespect, I believe the total number of place winners and state champions is somewhat skewed due to the lack of representation from the East & North Regions. I would venture a guess that the West outnumbered both East & North regions combined. I would be curious to see the place winners and champions as a percentage of total participants per region. This would give us a better idea how each region is stacking up.

Good points. With the tournament being in the west its only natural to have more participants. Also a lot of kids dont make the trip if they know they cant win where if it was in their region they might have participated.I do feel the west and the entire state is making great strides though in numbers of participation. I wish we in the south could get more response from our middle school age kids but with the various middle school organizations all having different seasons its hard. I looked at the weigh in sheets for the entire state and broke it down fairly accurate by region. Some kids from other areas weighed in at Dickson so I had to do some quick math. This isnt exact but its pretty close to the number of participants from each region for the little kids state.

West -162 participants

North and east- 85 participants combined between the two regions

south- 60 participants (11 champs out of 60 kis is pretty strong)

I can agree with all the posts. I would like to see the tournament moved to a more "central location" in order to draw the most wrestlers from each region. The main reason I posted this is to show the great growth in the sport in the state. I am biased being from the West Region and I will brag on my boys in the region, but it is great to see how far we have come. I am interested in seeing how well Team TN does in the duals this year. I think we are starting to catch up with the powerhouses of the country.

Tennessee is catching up to the "powerhouses" of the country. It has been a long process but we are heading in the right direction. The entire state has shown vast improvements. We have a multitude of kids from age 5- middle school that place on the national level at all the big tournaments. I truly believe that the best of Tennessee high school wrestling will be in just a few short years. In the past there have only been a handful of kids that could compete on the national level from Tennessee each year. I can think of at least 20 off the top of my head that have the potential to place in any tournament in the country right now.

We will see. It should be interesting. Here in Clarksville we are starting to see vast improvement in coaching as well. Coach Jordon has always been great. West Creek was very impressive this year sending 4 to state in its first year. They also had a first year coach in Chad Davis. They wre going to be tough. Sycamore also has a great coach in Steve Hamblin. The future is bright for the state. We must continue to support our clubs to keep it going though.