See ya at AAU HS State this weekend (some GP trivia)...

Sommers

In case anyone needs the link to register... http://www.tntournaments.com/ It is at the new HS right off I-40.

West and midWest region had a strong showing at all levels with Ryan, Blackman, Cookeville and other middle TN wrestlers a week ago. I may have seen some Purple wave fellas of various ages there, not sure about HS though. It will be interesting to see who comes up from East TN.

A litttle trivia I did not know...

Cumberland High School has two former students inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. The first was G P West that graduated from Cumberland in the late 1953. GP is one of the pioneers of high school wresting in Nashville and the state of Tennessee. The second is Doug Newman that graduated in 1964. Doug was in the Air Force between 1966 and 1970. He graduated from Austin Peay in 1972. Taught and coached a half year at Cheatham Co. High School in the fall 1972. In January of 1973 he joined Coach Smallen as a teacher and coach at Goodlettsville High School. When Goodlettsville became a Middle School Doug was named the Hunters La ne High Schools first Head wrestling coach in 1986. He taught and coach at Hunters Lane until 1996. In the fall of 1996 he was named the Head wrestling coach at Hillwood high school.

Doug’s induction celebration will be on October 24 at the Marriott Nashville Airport. He will a member of the 2009 Hall of Fame Class. This is great honor for Doug and for Cumberland High School.

I wonder if the new high school up there got a wrestling room too? Even a team?

By the way, I think you may be confusing Cumberland High(Nashville) with Cumberland County High(Crossville). Cumberland County split to form Stone Memorial which is where the AAU Big Kids State is being held.

Thanks!! I didn't see the Jets mentioned and certainly didn't kow GP West was from there either... so I appareciate the clarification. I remember your Hixson team being quite strong - maybe the strongest,,, if The Big Blue didn't have the Nat'l All American team about that time.

I understand that mistakes are made and some things cannot be avoided but why would you schedule a tournament the same weekend as the NCAA Tournament? Do the Tennessee families not take their young athletes to watch the NCAA's every year?

There is a lot more into scheduling a tournament than many would think. First off the district, regionals and state all have to be wrestled first and everyone wants to do this after the state high school tournament is over. Then you have the Aau nationals, Aau elementary duals and Aau middle school duals that all have to be scheduled in there. Basically in a nutshell, every weekend is scheduled with a tournament. We would love to not have it on the same weekend as the Ncaa's but it hasnt even been an option in the last few years. The # of people affected by this arent very many and no where as close to the # of kids we lose each year to baseball season. Everyone cant be pleased but the Aau tries to please the majority. There have been talks of combining all the Aau state tournaments into one weekend so that the Ncaa weekend will be free. Get with your area representative and express your thoughts so he can present it at the spring meeting. I for one would love to go to the Nccaa's and welcome one state tournament if we can find a venue large enough.

I understand that mistakes are made and some things cannot be avoided but why would you schedule a tournament the same weekend as the NCAA Tournament? Do the Tennessee families not take their young athletes to watch the NCAA's every year?

There is a lot more into scheduling a tournament than many would think. First off the district, regionals and state all have to be wrestled first and everyone wants to do this after the state high school tournament is over. Then you have the Aau nationals, Aau elementary duals and Aau middle school duals that all have to be scheduled in there. Basically in a nutshell, every weekend is scheduled with a tournament. We would love to not have it on the same weekend as the Ncaa's but it hasnt even been an option in the last few years. The # of people affected by this arent very many and no where as close to the # of kids we lose each year to baseball season. Everyone cant be pleased but the Aau tries to please the majority. There have been talks of combining all the Aau state tournaments into one weekend so that the Ncaa weekend will be free. Get with your area representative and express your thoughts so he can present it at the spring meeting. I for one would love to go to the Nccaa's and welcome one state tournament if we can find a venue large enough.

Would the Williamson County Ag Center not be large enough? If you start early enough maybe Coach Blair could help you get a reservation on the date you need.