First Day Thoughts - 1 A

1. Free throw shooting...P-I-T-I-F-U-L.....These 8 teams combined to shoot 86 for 169 for a whopping 50.8%...Harriman (40%) and Westwood (44.8%) brought up the rear in this futile attempt at charity tosses....Humboldt (46.7%) and Grace Baptist (46.7%) weren't much better....The best free throw shooting team on the day ??...The #1 ranked team in the state, Clarksville Acd. blistered the nets for 60.7% on 17 for 28 shooting....How has this part of the game been so neglected ??...Everybody wants to shoot the three or dunk now...You should see the 3-point %'s.... :thumb:

2. Who is this Montez Gary ??...Good Grief !!....32 points with 6 three pointers for the Westwood Longhorns...I mentioned in the game thread that Union City played this bunch in the sub-state round and I don't remember him even being mentioned...He might have been mentioned but I don't remember...I know he wasn't one of the top scorers...Matter of fact, Zachary Smith who led Westwood in the UC game scored ZERO today....I bet Humboldt will remember his name...

3. Speaking of Humboldt..Wow...Every year it seems these guys make the trip to The Glass House only to come home early...I mean they don't even get to the championship game...Humboldt is a young team..They will be back but something has GOT to change...These guys are too good not to have some Gold or heck, even Silver hardware...I hate to say it but it was just another Murfreesboro Meltdown.....

4.Malcolm Smith of Clarksville Acd...This kid had 21 points and 15 rebounds and was in foul trouble all day...He finally fouled out in the fourth quarter with around 3 minutes left...How many points and rebounds could he have had if he wasn't throttled down with foul difficulties ??

5. Young teams you say ??...CSAS had no senior starters...They will be back....How about Harriman ??...They only had one senior starter...They look like they will be back too....

6. Alex Stallion...He was just that for CSAS...He had 23 points and the Patriots wouldn't have won without him today...

7. Wayne County....How about Tyler and Austin Rice ??..Last time I heard those two names they were throwing and catching footballs against Union City in the 1A Football Semi-Finals...Quite an accomplishment to be the leaders of both your football and basketball teams and have both teams in the state tournament/playoffs...Congrats to those two kids and whoever else on that team that play both sports...

8. Maybe the best game of the day or maybe I should say cleanest, in my opinion was the Grace/Oliver Springs game...Don't know why...Just seemed that way...

9. Brandon Herman of Grace is a Mr Basketball Finalist along with Malcolm Smith of CA and Thomas Greer of West Carroll...He had a good game today...23 points but he had 16 in the second half and those points led the way to the Golden Eagles moving on....

10. I gave Oliver Springs, Harriman and Wayne County some grief in a thread about wanting to petition the T.$.$.A.A doing away with the blind draw and doing some sort of seeding...Anyway...Those three teams gave a good account of themselves today..Congrats on making the state tournament and congrats on a fine season....

1. Free throw shooting...P-I-T-I-F-U-L.....These 8 teams combined to shoot 86 for 169 for a whopping 50.8%...Harriman (40%) and Westwood (44.8%) brought up the rear in this futile attempt at charity tosses....Humboldt (46.7%) and Grace Baptist (46.7%) weren't much better....The best free throw shooting team on the day ??...The #1 ranked team in the state, Clarksville Acd. blistered the nets for 60.7% on 17 for 28 shooting....How has this part of the game been so neglected ??...Everybody wants to shoot the three or dunk now...You should see the 3-point %'s.... :lol:

2. Who is this Montez Gary ??...Good Grief !!....32 points with 6 three pointers for the Westwood Longhorns...I mentioned in the game thread that Union City played this bunch in the sub-state round and I don't remember him even being mentioned...He might have been mentioned but I don't remember...I know he wasn't one of the top scorers...Matter of fact, Zachary Smith who led Westwood in the UC game scored ZERO today....I bet Humboldt will remember his name...

3. Speaking of Humboldt..Wow...Every year it seems these guys make the trip to The Glass House only to come home early...I mean they don't even get to the championship game...Humboldt is a young team..They will be back but something has GOT to change...These guys are too good not to have some Gold or heck, even Silver hardware...I hate to say it but it was just another Murfreesboro Meltdown.....

4.Malcolm Smith of Clarksville Acd...This kid had 21 points and 15 rebounds and was in foul trouble all day...He finally fouled out in the fourth quarter with around 3 minutes left...How many points and rebounds could he have had if he wasn't throttled down with foul difficulties ??

5. Young teams you say ??...CSAS had no senior starters...They will be back....How about Harriman ??...They only had one senior starter...They look like they will be back too....

6. Alex Stallion...He was just that for CSAS...He had 23 points and the Patriots wouldn't have won without him today...

7. Wayne County....How about Tyler and Austin Rice ??..Last time I heard those two names they were throwing and catching footballs against Union City in the 1A Football Semi-Finals...Quite an accomplishment to be the leaders of both your football and basketball teams and have both teams in the state tournament/playoffs...Congrats to those two kids and whoever else on that team that play both sports...

8. Maybe the best game of the day or maybe I should say cleanest, in my opinion was the Grace/Oliver Springs game...Don't know why...Just seemed that way...

9. Brandon Herman of Grace is a Mr Basketball Finalist along with Malcolm Smith of CA and Thomas Greer of West Carroll...He had a good game today...23 points but he had 16 in the second half and those points led the way to the Golden Eagles moving on....

10. I gave Oliver Springs, Harriman and Wayne County some grief in a thread about wanting to petition the T.$.$.A.A doing away with the blind draw and doing some sort of seeding...Anyway...Those three teams gave a good account of themselves today..Congrats on making the state tournament and congrats on a fine season....

Fine post. I agree with each point made #'s 1,2,and,7 all stand out,and about #1,it's compleatly shameful to have the best teams in the whole state,on the biggest stage of their sporting lives,stand at the free throw line and.........well, did you see the free throw percentages in the McMinn Central-Gibson County---GIRLS---game saturday? :thumb::lol::lol:, You ---GUYS---should be ashamed.