5 Second Rule...

terop

Somebody please enlighten me on the rule.. I started at the pg position in high school and a little college, and coached for 4 season but I've never seen this call so broad. During this tourney I have witnessed this call over and over with the defender standing seven feet away. I know as a defender you can extend your hands to be closer to the offensive player but man some of these refs have been counting just to be counting...It could just be me looking to hard....Please someone share the rule on this.....

It's supposed to be 6 ft. They have tried to make the refs do a motion to let the player know when the count is broken. Some refs do some don't. When the count is broken they are supposed to put their fingers together, arms extended and pull them away from each other. Kinda like thay had something sticky on their hands. They probably told the refs to watch for this. Anytime they tell the refs to watch for anything they over do it. It happened with offensive fouls, and post play a few years ago. They get tough then forget about it.

It's supposed to be 6 ft. They have tried to make the refs do a motion to let the player know when the count is broken. Some refs do some don't. When the count is broken they are supposed to put their fingers together, arms extended and pull them away from each other. Kinda like thay had something sticky on their hands. They probably told the refs to watch for this. Anytime they tell the refs to watch for anything they over do it. It happened with offensive fouls, and post play a few years ago. They get tough then forget about it.

...You are right when saying this...I've overheard them talking about "carrying" the ball before they officiated a game last year...you and I know this can be called each and every time a team goes down the floor...sometimes they called it and sometimes they let it 'slide'...it just depends which rule they decide to focus on!!!

...It's a tough job and I respect the calls that are made(even though I may not agree with all of them).

...You are right when saying this...I've overheard them talking about "carrying" the ball before they officiated a game last year...you and I know this can be called each and every time a team goes down the floor...sometimes they called it and sometimes they let it 'slide'...it just depends which rule they decide to focus on!!!

...It's a tough job and I respect the calls that are made(even though I may not agree with all of them).

Yea I remember the offensive foul year..It was called a 100 times that year

They probably told the refs to watch for this. Anytime they tell the refs to watch for anything they over do it. It happened with offensive fouls, and post play a few years ago. They get tough then forget about it.

Man, you can say that again!

Right before and during the District Tournaments, the refs MUST have been told to watch for "lane violations" on Free Throws!

I remember the Ridgeway at Southwind games, both girls and boys.....those refs must have called about 10 to 15 lane violations during the girls game! They proceeded to do likewise during the boys game. Heck, those calls were coming so frequently...It got so bad that even the radio play-by-play guys commented on how bizarre it was!

The refs REALLY over did the "lane violations," IMO, that night @ Southwind.