BGA opening....

DUNK

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they are planning to throw 6 figures at him, I dont see him leaving USN. He has been to the state tournament the last couple of years and BGA has been down for awhile. It would be a step backwards. I realize Lyles is gone now but I still think he is in a better situation already. That being said...dollar signs are the ultimate equalizer. Should be interesting.

Unless they are planning to throw 6 figures at him, I dont see him leaving USN. He has been to the state tournament the last couple of years and BGA has been down for awhile. It would be a step backwards. I realize Lyles is gone now but I still think he is in a better situation already. That being said...dollar signs are the ultimate equalizer. Should be interesting.

BGA would be a step up from USN basketball. They have been to the State playoffs the past few years but the higher division is more competitive. BGA basketball is on the rise. Watch and see. Dont sleep on BGA. We have had some terrible seasons lately. But this is our time to shine.

Not dissing BGA. I think it would be good job. I just dont think Sonn would leave the program he has been building to start building another one. Thats all I was saying. I havent seen BGA play and have no idea what they have. But taking over a 5 win program, after back to back state tournament runs just doesnt make much sense. It still may happen. But I would think it would take alot of green to make it happen. :thumb:

BGA would be a step up from USN basketball. They have been to the State playoffs the past few years but the higher division is more competitive. BGA basketball is on the rise. Watch and see. Dont sleep on BGA. We have had some terrible seasons lately. But this is our time to shine.

You obviously do not know anything about USN basketball. BGA won 5 games last year, 5!!! That is not a step up from the state championship game. BGA will forever be a stepping stone for teams like the mighty ENSWORTh, MBA, and Brentwood Academy to kick the crap out of. DOn't fool your self to thinking that it is a better job because it is in a higher division. THey suck!

You obviously do not know anything about USN basketball. BGA won 5 games last year, 5!!! That is not a step up from the state championship game. BGA will forever be a stepping stone for teams like the mighty ENSWORTh, MBA, and Brentwood Academy to kick the crap out of. DOn't fool your self to thinking that it is a better job because it is in a higher division. THey suck!

BigENS, let's be honest here. USN wasn't exactly a juggernaut when Coach Sonn got there. They were basically the whipping boy for everyone else. Sure, they had a good player every now and then, but haven't been competitive until Sonn got there. Granted, I do not feel Coach Smith should have been released, but that's a moot point now. As stated under the BGA AD post, if they moved down to Class A, they would instantly be competitive. I don't think a "changing of the guard" is going to help BGA in boys basketball. Smith can coach. He just doesn't have the horses of the Big 3 to compete. And if the school isn't going to be proactive in finding players, then he's gotta roll with what's there. It might be a better job, depending on what you are looking for.....If BGA is paying X and USN is playing less, than that might be a better opportunity. But if they are going to continue in Class AA, there best bet is to get the best young coach with connections.....Maybe Drew Maddux?

Anyone that saw BGA play last year could tell they did not play up to their potential. They were a lot better than a 5 win team but they were certainly not good enough to defeat an Ensworth or MBA. When I saw them early in the year I thought they might have a Father Ryan or a BA upset in them, but you could tell they had quit on themselves half way through the season. As far as next year goes, we can continue to expect Ensworth to reload and MBA has a ton of talent returning from their State Championship team. There is little or no opportunity for BGA to break through even if they had John Wooden as coach. I think Adam Sonn is a great coach and an outstanding man but I'm not sure this is the next move he is hoping for.

BigENS, let's be honest here. USN wasn't exactly a juggernaut when Coach Sonn got there. They were basically the whipping boy for everyone else. Sure, they had a good player every now and then, but haven't been competitive until Sonn got there. Granted, I do not feel Coach Smith should have been released, but that's a moot point now. As stated under the BGA AD post, if they moved down to Class A, they would instantly be competitive. I don't think a "changing of the guard" is going to help BGA in boys basketball. Smith can coach. He just doesn't have the horses of the Big 3 to compete. And if the school isn't going to be proactive in finding players, then he's gotta roll with what's there. It might be a better job, depending on what you are looking for.....If BGA is paying X and USN is playing less, than that might be a better opportunity. But if they are going to continue in Class AA, there best bet is to get the best young coach with connections.....Maybe Drew Maddux?

Spread, can I call you spread? Let's be honest, USN is a DIIA power now. BGA sucks, Coach Sonn isn't going anywhere. Why would Maddux leave when he recruited the Stud 8th grader to CPA? Coach Smith coached for 30 years won some games but hasn't done anything recently. I say look to hire some asst from one of these schools and let's see what he can do. I hear USN asst. Jason Cary is interested, been coaching awhile and has two state tournament appearances on the resume.

Agreed. There is a big difference between a wish list of possible candidates and a list of actual interested candidates. Maddox and Sonn arent going anywhere. Throw out some realistic candidates. I think it needs to be a young, high energy guy with some connections that will attract some players. Who that guy is...I am not sure. Ideas?

BGA has less than half the number of guys that every other school in the divison. Knowing that you should realize that they are always going to have a hard time competing and should be moved to the lower divison just because of the numbers. And whoever is saying they are worse than USN is crazy because BGA and USN play each other every year expect for this year and USN has not won that matchup in a very long time. BGA will be better in the future, they have a decent freshman class, but should still be in the lower division.