Obstruction rule in TN High School softball

brankels

Are you an Umpire? haha..just had to say that

Someone else may be able to quote the rule but obstruction is the defense impeding the runner either by getting in the way, faking a tag or similar. Interference is when runner does similar act to the defender. I tried to copy and paste rule but I couldn't get it to work. What was the play?

Can someone post the rule for obstruction in TN High School softball? Is there a clear rule on what is obstruction between a runner and an infielder?

Runner on 2nd base, ball hit to the SS. SS runs up in the baseline to catch the grounder, runner takes off from 2nd, notices the SS and runs behind the SS towards 3B. SS throws to 1B, but the throw is late, runner safe at 1B. The runner at 2nd was called out for obstruction or interfence. The runner never touched the SS, but the umpire called her out for obstructing the SS.

I have seen the runner get called out for stoping in front of the SS and blocking their view and no contact was made. Did not agree with the call because the runner is watching the ball, making sure that the ball does not hit them as well. I have never seen the runner get called out for going behind the SS. Umpire must have thought they made contact.

This rule is confussing at the Div 1 College level also!! Ump called obstruction on a 3rd baseperson on a throw down from the catcher. Throw was high and girl at third jumped up to catch it. Runner paused for a second, touched 3rd, and sprinted home where the left fielder gunned her out at the plate. Field ump ruled that because the runner paused, it was obstruction. Coach felt that the defensive player has a right to the ball but lost the argument!!!! This happened on a squeze play and the batter missed the bunt!!! :thumb:

It sounds like we have liberal umpires making up the rules as they go along. I think the umpire in this case was persuaded (influenced) by the 4 coaches arguing every little call. The obstruction rule was an easy one to call, but within the last 4-5 years I've seen coaches trying to add their own changes to the rule.

We had a ridiculous baserunner interference call made this past weekend in the Tiny Day tournament as well. The baserunner on first was advancing to second on a ground ball hit to second base. The runner was watching the ball to avoid contact and never hesitated, checked up, or anything. The fielder, who was playing extremely deep, charged to make an attempt on the ball but missed completely after slipping. There was no contact and the baserunner/fielder were never closer than about 6-8 feet. The umpire that was right near the play called the baserunner out. I have no idea what he thinks he saw, but I don't see how the rule could have even been loosely applied in this instance.

This is why I was wondering exactly what the rule is. Can someone state the rule as it is in the rule book for both situations? It seems the umpires are adding their own take on the rule. I guess the rule is not clear on it.

Interference applies to the offensive team (runner) and the term also used in rule books to apply to umpires, coaches, and spectators. Obstruction applies only to the defensive team. I often hear the incorrect terminology of "catcher's interference" when the bat hits the catcher's mitt on a swing when it should be "catcher's obstruction" or simply "obstruction." Catcher's interference is what it is called in baseball.

From the ASA Rulebook

Interference: The act of an offensive player or team member, umpire, or spectator that impedes, hinders or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. Contact is not necessary.

Obstruction: The act of a defensive team member:

A. Who hinders or impedes a batter from striking at or hitting a pitched ball.

B. A fielder, who impedes the progress of a runner or a batter-runner who is legally running the bases unless the fielder is:

1. In possession of the ball

2. In the act of fielding a batted ball

NOTE: Contact is not necessary to impede the progress of the runner.

There are a lot of other applicable sections and references in the book, and even more in rule suppliments and case book, but this is the actual definition in the book.

I have always been told that it is only obstruction/interference if the runner makes contact with the fielder.

I believe that rule states that the runner may not impede (or obstruct) the fielder, who has a right to make a play on the ball. Contact does not have to occur, but there should be an obvious obstruction by the runner. Still, it is a judgement call by the umpire.