TSSAA Umpires

chsbaseball

Umpiring seems to be a hot topic this year, certainly in the mid-state area, so I thought some discussion might be in order. Umpiring in Clarksville is decent compared to what I've seen in Nashville and Dickson so far this year. It's frustrating when you feel like these guys seem to be having too much of an impact on the game.

Now I wouldn't complain if these guys weren't making what $65.00 a game in some places? We had teams from Ohio come to our tournament where they pay their umpires $45.00. I think there ought to be a little more accountability for their performance, because what we've had so far has been just bad.

The sad thing is, in our town we have middle school umpires who would rather just do middle school. Make a little less, but you can stay in town, and not be at the mercy of some other guy making your schedule. And they are much better than most of the high school guys we get.

Has anyone else had this experience?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I have against the umpiring are those whose strike zone is so tiny. It's as if they are waiting for a "blazing" fastball to get close enough to light a candle on a cupcake. Or it's those that can't make up their mind what the strike zone is from one pitch to another. But for the most part I think the majority do a good job.

I know that umpires are only human, but they should at least try to be a little more consistant with the strike zone. For the most part I'll have to say that most have done a decent job. There are a few (always the same ones) that seem to change with how the game is progressing. I honestly don't know how a kid is suppose to stand up there and be a disciplined batter when you don't know where the strike zone is. That has to be frustrating to the batter and the pitcher who can't figure it out. I have seen the strike zone go from one extreme to the other in one game! I know this subject is somewhat taboo, but I would hope that these umps would at least be open to the fact that they may be wrong sometimes and try to be more consistent.

Umpiring seems to be a hot topic this year, certainly in the mid-state area, so I thought some discussion might be in order. Umpiring in Clarksville is decent compared to what I've seen in Nashville and Dickson so far this year. It's frustrating when you feel like these guys seem to be having too much of an impact on the game.

Now I wouldn't complain if these guys weren't making what $65.00 a game in some places? We had teams from Ohio come to our tournament where they pay their umpires $45.00. I think there ought to be a little more accountability for their performance, because what we've had so far has been just bad.

The sad thing is, in our town we have middle school umpires who would rather just do middle school. Make a little less, but you can stay in town, and not be at the mercy of some other guy making your schedule. And they are much better than most of the high school guys we get.

You really think $65/game is a lot? $65 for the game and you probably have to leave your regular job early, work another 2-3 hours and get home at 10:00 p.m.

Yeah, sounds like a piece of cake to me.

If you truly think $65 for a game is a lot, you need a better job yourself!

You really think $65/game is a lot? $65 for the game and you probably have to leave your regular job early, work another 2-3 hours and get home at 10:00 p.m.

I guess they are doing it just for the Love of The Game!!! :flower:

I say this to any to has anything to say about umpires...put on the blue shirt, do it once. Its looks easy and people think how can they miss a call. But humans make mistakes and people will just have to handle it.

I know it's not as easy as one might think, but when you see an ump who takes the bat out of someones hands and it changes the game entirely then it makes you wonder if they may have done it on purpose! And when you see an ump so drastically change his strike zone later in the game then it makes you wonder again. (After all, as you said, they are only human and sometims their biases are bound to come into play). Not all do this but you will have to admit that some do! Don't get bent out of shape unless you are one I am referring to!

Yes, I think $130.00 to umpire two baseball games is decent money. That's $50.00 more than a person making $10.00/hr makes working an 8 hour shift. For that much money, I expect someone to know the rules. That's not asking much

And my purpose for beginning this thread was not to attack balls and strikes and missed calls. People expect that. But it's also fair for coaches to expect umpires to know rules, be in position and be able to call a balk when they see one.

Well, like I said before, if you think $65/game is a lot of money, you're crazy.

You compare it to someone making $10/hour, that's laughable, I wouldn't work my regular job for twice that.

And lastly, if you think HS coaches know rules, you'd better think again. They don't. Many of them think hands are part of the bat, tie goes to the runner, etc.

A few thoughts on umpiring.

1. Play your games after work hours and exponentially expand your available umpiring talent.

2. Knowing the rules works both ways. I've seen plenty of both sides that don't know the rules.

3. Worst umpiring we've had this year was Clarksville umpires at the Workman tournament. Harpeth against Rossview. Hands down the worst. Both sides peeved.

4. The Dickson association has some good umpires but there have been some issues this year. My opinion, as a guy that's umpired, is to not go looking for trouble. It finds you soon enough. Dictatorial type umpires and high strung coaches are a bad mix. Go in, shake hands, appreciate the opportunity to call a baseball game on a beautiful spring day and count your blessings. Nobody cares if a kid misses first base by a quarter of an inch on a gapper to left center or if the first baseman pulls his foot a quarter of a second too early on an obvious out. Plate umpire calling out of the box on a bunt long after there is no box. How do you focus on the zone and watch the batters feet? Nobody else is.

5. Coaches, ask the umpire the questions in the right way instead of showing him up and you'll get the answer. Most of the time. Between innings in passing or while the field guy is over by first base is the time to ask about a questionable judgement call. Showing blue up on balls and strikes, safe or out is only going to get you tossed. Blue, if coach asks for help in a nice way from your partner, why wouldn't you give him that courtesy. Partner, don't overturn the call if you didn't see it clearly.

6. Putting on the coaches britches is just as daunting as putting on the blue shirt. A great fundraiser idea is coming to mind. Kind of like Sadie Hawkins day. I'd pay to see blue in the dugout with a bunch of teenagers and coach trying to figure out where he's supposed to be with a runner on 1st and 3rd.