Running up the Score?

Luvdagame

Great points Big G and Coach Chunn....I have been in both situations... when on the losing end I try to use it as motivation for the team to say the other team is where we want to be skill wise... learn and watch them and then go out and do the same...you have to keep it in perspective which ever side your own but having your team make 5-10 passes before they shoot is only going to help them as a team and control the scoring at the same time. I do remeber long ago in a ayso U6 game my team let the other team score and I had a mom come screaming at me how unsportsmanlike that was...go figure.. I at least want do that again :flower:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, I thought I arrived at the reason why Soccer never had the attention in the US that it did across the globe, that being the sponsors couldn't run a commercial every seven minutes of the game (and lately the exact same commercial 17 times). Without the sponsorships, the major networks elected not to carry this type of programming and it never hit mainstream.

Now I have found the second reason. The sport itself frowns on poor Sportsmanship and too many people in the US wish to Americanize it. Each of us on both sides of this discussion are passionate about our beliefs however I think one side is more passionate about the sport and the other is just interested in winning and pounding their chest. This very well maybe why the sport will never have the never-ending fever it does abroad. In threads of previous years, I referred to this as the Americanization of the World's Sport.

Something that validates this, at least to me is that it seems some of the best matches I have attended ended up in a draw. Never attended many other sports where I came even close to saying that.

im not about "pounding" my chest. I just dont think people should treat these high school kids like they are 6yrs old. I love soccer. Never played it before, but i love following it and watching it. I love all sports and have the same opinion about scoring for all of them. In australian football its apparently not uncommon for teams to win by 60+. I have never seen people complain about that... Yet, someone wins a soccer game by 10 in america and theres outrage about bad sportsmanship and not hurting people's feelings... I think it's a bit ridiclous.

Life sucks? Get over it? Who do you think you are? Life is not about winning, I don't know if that's what they teach you guys over there at the high class school of FHS, but that's outstandingly ignorant. Running up the score is the mentality of "winning is everything." You just proved that as well as the disrespect and contempt you have for sportsmanship and class. I've been on both ends of the spectrum, and I never enjoy either. Neither side offers a rewarding experience in terms of growth; that's what high school is about: growth. So the mentality of "i want I want I want" has sadly entered high school sports now, like the Farraguts or more recently, the Dobyns-Bennetts. But it's all about who you are, and that comes out on the pitch.

I don't recall saying "life sucks". I said "It's life". Who do I think I am? I am a person who doesn't treat 15-18yr olds like 6yr olds. Let them learn from their mistakes. Taking it easy on them is not teaching them anything. Letting them learn that sports and life can be ruthless and unforgiving is a better lesson to teach than, if you aren't capable of competing someone will step in a make it so you don't look too bad or, they feel sorry for you so they won't try hard against you. I've been on both sides of the scoring as well, in several sports. Honestly, I felt more embarrassed when my team got killed, not because we got killed, but because it was obvious we should have lost by more, and the other team quit trying. It was obvious they quit trying. I'd rather them play their game, the whole game and the final score end up being whatever it ends up being. In basketball one year my team was up by 40 something. I got fouled, they didn't call it. I made a comment to the ref and got a technical. He said "when you're up by this much you won't get the call" That's garbage... A foul is a foul. Doesn't matter when it is and what the score is. You shouldn't be punished for being a better/dominant team. Give your all the whole game.

Why are people so obsessed with not letting people feel bad about themselves? I can say, that some of the most fun games I have been in were when my team was dominating. Why? Because it IS rewarding. It shows that the hard work you have put in, has paid off. You are the better team and you are proving it. I'm not saying be cocky about it. I'm not saying when you are up by 10+ run around celebrating your goal like it was to win the state championship. Just play your game and give 100% the whole game, no matter what. You can win by a lot and still have "class" and show good "sportsmanship". That is how it is done. Just score, and go back to business. This is honestly making me see why people in America don't like soccer, other than "it's boring"... You guys are getting upset for someone winning by too much.

And why do people keep bringing up Farragut? Farragut has nothing to do with this, so I don't get why that keeps coming up.

(I hope you can sense the sarcasm in this paragraph)I think you are right though soccerkeeper... "life is not about winning", it's about trying super duper hard and giving your all, unless you are doing too good, then you stop. It's also about making people like you because you only do the minimum to get by (I actually implement this technique, just not with sports... only school**this is not sarcasm**). I guess life is about being a swell dude and lending a helping hand every chance you get? I'm assuming you (soccerkeeper) donate over 1/3 your income to helpful causes? When passing homeless people do you give them money? I don't. Never have, never will. It's not that I am not compassionate and have no heart. I just don't feel the need to help them, when I know in reality it isn't helping them in any way.

I don't see why you are acting like I am a terrible or ignorant person either. I have a different opinion than you when it comes to sports. So what? A different opinion does not mean ignorant. Sorry to burst your bubble, but when it comes to sports, winning is everything. Otherwise, what's the point? to gain popularity in school? To claim you played that sport in h.s./college? No, you play to win. If anything is ignorant in this thread, it is to say that it's not about winning. 90+% of athletes will say they play to win. If they don't they are lying, or are 5yrs old and haven't learned how fun it is. What's the goal when teams start their season? Win a certain amount of games. Win a national championship. Win the conference. Win state. Not try really really hard and hope the other team shows mercy. Not.. Lose. Not only have fun and nothing else. Come on please come to reality and stop thinking the world and people are as nice and compassionate as you want them to be. It just isn't true. If I were to ever coach a team, and I had kids who didn't want to win. They wouldn't be on my team.

What exactly is life about then soccerkeeper? besides, the typical, "spreading the good word" response please... also, what are sports about to you soccerkeeper? I am dying to know.

also, I assume you(soccerkeeper) hate walmart for putting other people out of business? Why is that? Because they are successful and have a business plan that works better than those of everyone else? How dare they! right?

I don't recall saying "life sucks". I said "It's life". Who do I think I am? I am a person who doesn't treat 15-18yr olds like 6yr olds. Let them learn from their mistakes. Taking it easy on them is not teaching them anything. Letting them learn that sports and life can be ruthless and unforgiving is a better lesson to teach than, if you aren't capable of competing someone will step in a make it so you don't look too bad or, they feel sorry for you so they won't try hard against you. I've been on both sides of the scoring as well, in several sports. Honestly, I felt more embarrassed when my team got killed, not because we got killed, but because it was obvious we should have lost by more, and the other team quit trying. It was obvious they quit trying. I'd rather them play their game, the whole game and the final score end up being whatever it ends up being. In basketball one year my team was up by 40 something. I got fouled, they didn't call it. I made a comment to the ref and got a technical. He said "when you're up by this much you won't get the call" That's garbage... A foul is a foul. Doesn't matter when it is and what the score is. You shouldn't be punished for being a better/dominant team. Give your all the whole game.

Why are people so obsessed with not letting people feel bad about themselves? I can say, that some of the most fun games I have been in were when my team was dominating. Why? Because it IS rewarding. It shows that the hard work you have put in, has paid off. You are the better team and you are proving it. I'm not saying be cocky about it. I'm not saying when you are up by 10+ run around celebrating your goal like it was to win the state championship. Just play your game and give 100% the whole game, no matter what. You can win by a lot and still have "class" and show good "sportsmanship". That is how it is done. Just score, and go back to business. This is honestly making me see why people in America don't like soccer, other than "it's boring"... You guys are getting upset for someone winning by too much.

And why do people keep bringing up Farragut? Farragut has nothing to do with this, so I don't get why that keeps coming up.

(I hope you can sense the sarcasm in this paragraph)I think you are right though soccerkeeper... "life is not about winning", it's about trying super duper hard and giving your all, unless you are doing too good, then you stop. It's also about making people like you because you only do the minimum to get by (I actually implement this technique, just not with sports... only school**this is not sarcasm**). I guess life is about being a swell dude and lending a helping hand every chance you get? I'm assuming you (soccerkeeper) donate over 1/3 your income to helpful causes? When passing homeless people do you give them money? I don't. Never have, never will. It's not that I am not compassionate and have no heart. I just don't feel the need to help them, when I know in reality it isn't helping them in any way.

I don't see why you are acting like I am a terrible or ignorant person either. I have a different opinion than you when it comes to sports. So what? A different opinion does not mean ignorant. Sorry to burst your bubble, but when it comes to sports, winning is everything. Otherwise, what's the point? to gain popularity in school? To claim you played that sport in h.s./college? No, you play to win. If anything is ignorant in this thread, it is to say that it's not about winning. 90+% of athletes will say they play to win. If they don't they are lying, or are 5yrs old and haven't learned how fun it is. What's the goal when teams start their season? Win a certain amount of games. Win a national championship. Win the conference. Win state. Not try really really hard and hope the other team shows mercy. Not.. Lose. Not only have fun and nothing else. Come on please come to reality and stop thinking the world and people are as nice and compassionate as you want them to be. It just isn't true. If I were to ever coach a team, and I had kids who didn't want to win. They wouldn't be on my team.

What exactly is life about then soccerkeeper? besides, the typical, "spreading the good word" response please... also, what are sports about to you soccerkeeper? I am dying to know.

also, I assume you(soccerkeeper) hate walmart for putting other people out of business? Why is that? Because they are successful and have a business plan that works better than those of everyone else? How dare they! right?

But this thread isn't about winning, it is about running up the score. I am with you, that the goal of sports is to win. One of the goals of our soccer season is to win state. But there are many different methods of getting to that point.

My question to you is this: Why can't you win and at the same time show compassion and mercy? What is wrong with that?

I agree with the idea that in life we have to learn to live with success and yes at times live with disappointment. But in my opinion...losing 6-0 or 7-0 will teach that lesson. And life itself will teach that lesson...why should a bunch of high school boys be the designated TEACHERS of life. And I believe this principle in all sports...football, soccer...etc. What glory is there in winning a football game 90 - 0.

I do understand you position and you make some very valid points. And there are times like this season for us that I don't have to make these decisions.. :thumb:

Sorry, for the unnecessarily long post btw.

I guess my point BigG is, in my opinion, choosing not to give 100% the whole game because the score gets out of hand, is choosing to give up/quit trying (not saying it is, just how I feel about it). When I played sports and my coach told me to take it easy, I just didn't get why. I was taught, and most kids, I think, who are when brought up playing sports are, to give 100% the whole game, whether winning or losing. (maybe it's just a football thing? Play your hardest from whistle to whistle?) Then a coach tells me to stop that? Just never made sense to me. I have quit things in the past, and I totally regret it. So now, I figure if I am going to do something, I am going to go all out, the whole time, and never let up. Same with showing mercy, showing mercy to me, is a sign of weakness, in my opinion. I understand all you yalls opinions about not running up the score and I completely see where you are coming from. I'm not trying to change your opinions about it or anything. Just trying to defend my opinion on it (I know you are only doing the same.....well most of you), when certain people seem to think I'm ignorant or something for thinking score, or more importantly margin of victory, doesn't matter, whether it be by 20 or 1. Maybe my opinion about the subject will change if I ever become a coach?

Also, this is why I can't seem to get away from coacht. All these fun discussions. haha. I know most people on here think I am a complete moron, but I don't really care. I enjoy discussing opinions on sports and sports related issues....

I respect what you are saying, I guess I just disagree with it. I still think you can give 100% without scoring. There are plenty of things a team can work on outside of putting a ball in the net. If you are up 4-0, then let's work on shooting from distance, or with our weak foot. Or work on switching the point of attack before you go to goal.

Like you said, I won't likely change your opinion, and you won't change mine. It's good to debate, however, and certainly spices up the boards (they have been a bit dry recently). :thumb:

I also assume you are a younger man (I have no idea, so I am just guessing). I have learned that as you grow older, one's viewpoint on things seem to change. ESPECIALLY after you have kids of your own. Not saying that it will, but when you get old (and even REAL old like Coach Chunn) one sees things differently than you did when you were 22.

Just a thought.

First of all, walmart has no place in this discussion. (powered by high school sports) Secondly, mercy is not a weakness, its a virtue to be valued. Yes that sounds like I'm preaching but without mercy, there is no separation from good and bad. And children view the world through innocent eyes, yes, but they see the world as it should be, no shades of grey.

As for sports, if winning was everything than I wouldn''t play. Neither would teams like William Blount or Heritage. No disrespect to them, but they rarely pull a win, let alone against FHS or BHS. Even the team I play for won't make it past district, never have in awhile. So no, I don't play to win, I play because its a challenge. Will I cuss out every player and disrespect my coach? That's what the teams that "run u pthe score" do. They love to win, no matter what little class they show. So ok life is disappointing, its hard, we get it. But acting immature like a 6 year old as you put it, just to win? IS that what life is, beating up everybody else at whatever cost, because thats what you're saying. So I play because i love the GAME, the mentality of soccer, the beauty, not because I win. I'll take a loss as gratiously as possible, admitting the other team is better. But if a team wants to score for scoring sakes, that's not the mentality lf the game. It's like BigG said, try things to get better, work on off foot, or touches. Get better as a player. ANd that's my view on life. Not i want i want i want, which you seem to have. But rather step back from money and winning, and be who you think the best persion should be, whoever you look up to. That may be win win win for you, then so be it. But I prefer my child view, of what life could be, and that's not the individualistic view of what you preach.

I respect what you are saying, I guess I just disagree with it. I still think you can give 100% without scoring. There are plenty of things a team can work on outside of putting a ball in the net. If you are up 4-0, then let's work on shooting from distance, or with our weak foot. Or work on switching the point of attack before you go to goal.

Like you said, I won't likely change your opinion, and you won't change mine. It's good to debate, however, and certainly spices up the boards (they have been a bit dry recently). :roflol:

I also assume you are a younger man (I have no idea, so I am just guessing). I have learned that as you grow older, one's viewpoint on things seem to change. ESPECIALLY after you have kids of your own. Not saying that it will, but when you get old (and even REAL old like Coach Chunn) one sees things differently than you did when you were 22.

Just a thought.

OUCH! G, did your folks not teach you to "RESPECT YOUR ELDERS!"