Running up the Score?

Luvdagame

About 4-5 years ago saw the same score with Greeneville and Cocke County 22-0. GHS had put all his freshmen in and told them to take 10 passes before scoring. They were still putting goals in. What do you do after that?

All shots on goals coming off headers from crosses?? Shooting with the off-foot from outside the 18?? Allowing only one touch possession?? It's not rocket science--if a coach wants to keep the score down, he can. If he wants to ring up 15-20 on an out-manned team, he can find excuses to rationalize that as well.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the saying from The Mighty Ducks? Something like, "There's no point in winning if you can't win big!" ? Who doesn't love the Hawks? I mean everyone has their little thing for the Ducks, but you have to admire the Hawks. They go out there and just dominate. Whereas the Ducks resort to cheating and still lose. Of course, for the sake of Hollywood, they end up winning in the end, but that's not what I am getting at. That's not real sports... Real sports, you are supposed to go out there and give your all no matter what. No matter the team, no matter the score, whether up by 10+ or down by 10+. A team should never quit trying. In my opinion. Telling a team not to score, is telling them to quit trying.

Hmmm. Then I looked at the name.

Have you considered....

Ihavenoclass....Ihavenosportsmanship...Ihaveneverbeenontheothersideofthatscore

Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. In organized sports, the leagues are set up according to talent, generally the same talent pool. In Prep, any sense of of logic in setting up districts, or pairing of teams doesn't exist. This boils down to about 1, maybe two good district games a year. Otherwise you must hunt for competition.

So, give it all when you play a matched component. Be considerate of the opponent when you are inqually matched, it wasn'tthe opponent that set up the game.

BTW, On a good day, how many games can you take from your spouse in the driveway game of hoops..or has she decided to stop playing?

What's the saying from The Mighty Ducks? Something like, "There's no point in winning if you can't win big!" ? Who doesn't love the Hawks? I mean everyone has their little thing for the Ducks, but you have to admire the Hawks. They go out there and just dominate. Whereas the Ducks resort to cheating and still lose. Of course, for the sake of Hollywood, they end up winning in the end, but that's not what I am getting at. That's not real sports... Real sports, you are supposed to go out there and give your all no matter what. No matter the team, no matter the score, whether up by 10+ or down by 10+. A team should never quit trying. In my opinion. Telling a team not to score, is telling them to quit trying.

So is this the logic to excuse/lay the foundation for the 15+ that Farragut will hang on William Blount because WB had the audacity to want to play a district opponent?

You know what is funny? Nobody says anything when a baseball team wins 15-0. Or a football score is 49-0.

Sometimes you just have to realize that "goals happen".

You can put in the pass rule, or the shots from outside the 18, or has to be on a volly, or header. But....what do you do when one of your defenders clears a ball out from 60 yards, and the keeper just lets it go in. Or, when on a corner, they head it in their own goal?

I too was amazed that it took so long for this topic to come up.

Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. In organized sports, the leagues are set up according to talent, generally the same talent pool. In Prep, any sense of of logic in setting up districts, or pairing of teams doesn't exist. This boils down to about 1, maybe two good district games a year. Otherwise you must hunt for competition.

So, give it all when you play a matched component. Be considerate of the opponent when you are inqually matched, it wasn'tthe opponent that set up the game.

:flower:B):lol:

Who are you and what have you done with Canes?

Quite an impressive post there, my friend!

wow, good one guys! "ihavenoclass" "ihavenosportsmanship". I just don't see a point in telling kids not to try simply because another team is bad. Yeah put in your second, third, fourth string players, but don't tell them not to try and score. That's just ridiculous. I used to go to Farragut, so what? What does that have to do with anything? Why did Farragut even come up? I never mentioned them in my post. That was just a general statement. Not. "Only Farragut can run up the score, because I said so." Any team can run the score up on anyone. People just need to learn that there is actually such a thing as winners and losers. If you suck, you will lose. That's all there is to it. If you suck really really bad. You will lose big. End of story. Deal with it. It's life people. You have to let the kids grow up at some point. This isn't pee wee everyone plays for "fun" anymore. This is about winning. Just get the heck over it. It will be ok.

Its not a teams job to stop scoring, It is their opponents job if a team wants to make a statement then they should leave their top players in. Highschool players are big boys and should be allowed to play to the best of their ability and every team should be allowed to give it's team's 100% in every game.

I remember my first year at Carter (7 years ago). We were rebuilding the program with mostly freshmen. We played a district game at CAK...they looked like super men! G held the score 6-0. It could have been 15 - 0. If that had happened it would have demoralized our young men. And over the years we have been able to field more competitive teams. I understand the statement "it's up to the other team to stop you"...but sometimes they simply can't. I just think that when we start beating up on kids then we need to find something else to do.

I also understand that at times strange things happen and the scoring gets out of hand. We were up on a team a couple of years ago and had told our players not to score....the other team proceeded to have 3 on goals.

My theory and viewpoints:

Always respect your opponent. Whether good or bad, give them your best, play with class, and don't let the game, or score, get out of hand in either direction. There are ways to do that, and I have stated them repeatedly over the years. And yes, I can tell players not to score. That is one of the "powers" that I have. I don't care if people think it is wrong.

Always give your opponent their dignity. You have to control the scoring without being blatantly obvious of controlling the scoring. You can pull players off without making a show of it to everyone. Just because you can dominate an opponent, doesn't mean you have to.

Neither of these beliefs harm a player in any way, shape, or form. It is teaching good "life" skills, that I believe will get them farther than the "kill or be killed" and "show no mercy" attitude that might do well in the short run, but ends up with a lot of unhappiness and misery in the end.

Feel free to disagree. They have served me well in the 15 years that I have coached. They might not be for everyone, so understand that I am not saying that my way is the only way, or the best way. But it is for us, and as long as I am coaching, I will continue to do it this way.