Signal Mountain spring practice/scrimmages

smeagle1

It doesn't matter what grade the players on the field were. In the end the final score was 5 to 4. We are very proud of our kids, our coach and our football program. Signal Mountain has just completed only it's second full year of ever even having a football team. Baylor's team has been decades in the making. Sure, we may have a few kids who have moved into our community. Others have stayed home from the assortment of Private schools available. What's wrong with that? Baylors team should be much better than our fledgling program. They have kids from all over the country and even the world to choose from we are limited to a small community in which to gain our talent. The Eagles had 7th, 8th and 9th graders on the field as well. There may have been a 10th grader or two on the field at the end of the scrimmage but your Coach had the same opportunity as ours to make necessary adjustments and substitutions. Baylor has some very good and very large players. Your Quarterback is exceptional but we have a very good quaterback as well. You have good running backs but we have good ones too. Some folks on here want to make it seem like Baylor dominated. I was there and did not see it quite the same. I guess perception is in the eye of the beholder. Baylor had a few long plays for touchdowns and so did Signal. I was simply pointing out some of the Signal Highlights for those who care because I did not see many Signal names mentioned in the Free Press Article. It was a very spirited scrimmage and was exciting to watch. I really don't think it was Signal Players starting all of the fights as some have indicated. It takes two to tango. What I did not see was any of our coaches waving towles in the air, hollaring at players or rushing into fights between young football players. That is what the Referees are for and I saw plenty of them there. Keep the Coaches out of the pushing matches and no ones parents will have to rush the field.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes a Living Legend such as myself gets put into a bad position. The young lads from Signal should not have run from the sideline to get involved. The Living Legend says all young lads should play the game the way its intended to be played. Signal Mountain has a coach that is a Living Legend in his own mind, but he has not yet received legend status. The coach that walks the sidelines for Signal would be considered a Living Legend in a forty and over weight lifting competition, but he still must carry a team deep in the playoffs to achieve that elusive legend status that Living Legends such as myself have achieved. As stated earlier, sometimes a living legend like myself gets put in a bad spot like on Friday. Rest assured regardless of what the angry parent thought was happening. Young lads were getting moved left and right to try and help restore order. Maybe what we need to settle this is a no holds barred wrestling match between myself and Signal's 40 and older weight lifting champion that also happens to coach a little football.

Here are my two cents...I did not see the game BUT I do know Eric Westmoreland..and I know he is a young passionate and intense coach...He was doing what he thought best and trying to protect the player from what it sounds like...He knows what he is doing...As for Signal...it does not really matter what the score was because it was just a scrimmage...and scrimmages do not count.....I will get my first look at Signal when they travel to Beene Stadium...more than likely that will be their first test of the season and everyone will see what they really got.....Should be interesting

Do you Signal parents who saw "good, physical football" condone kicking a player while he's down, literally?

I don't blame the Baylor coach at all for considering pulling his team off the field and wouldn't be surprised if he never schedules Signal. There's a difference between physical play and dirty play.

I was wondering the same thing Indian. It seems like Signal's head coach was happy about his players starting fights? I can understand getting in a shoving match if you go hit late or something of that nature but from all the accounts that I've heard, the Signal players started these fights. I'm all for being scrappy and tough but kicking, punching etc. has no place in football. I would bet that Signal's coach said something that enticed his players to start a fight or something like that. I believe he used the excuse that it was a heated matchup and that the kids knew each other so there was a lot at stake?? I've played against kids and I never had the urge to fight them?? These aren't 2 teams from a rural Texas where football is life and, in fact, there is no rivalry between the two schools. Signal isn't getting a very good reputation and, from what I hear, no one likes their head coach either. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS THIS FOOTBALL SEASON! :popcorneater:

I just hope that all the people who keep talking about the score realize that if that had been a real game, signal's starters would not have been playing mostly 8th graders for the second half of the scrimmage and if baylor had left their starters in, it probably would have been even worse than 4-1.

Hey HB83, I thought they taught yall how to count at Baylor. With the Starters on the Field, it was 4-2 but at the end of the scrimmage it was 5-4. Apparently some of you folks don't understand what I am trying to say. It was a win for our program on any level. We are a 2 year old team with 1 year of varisty play under our belts. We have many young and inexperienced players. Some of these kids would never be able to play for other schools because they were previously thought to not be as tough or athletic as many kids who have left the mountain to attend the private schools. Coach Price has taught these kids to believe in themselves and they have become a good team within a short period of time. Perhaps that bothers some of you folks because many on this website seem to have pure hatred for our program and our coach. I don't know why maybe it is jealousy. I thought the object of playing football was to score more than your opponent. Signal Mountain did that. I rest my case.

This will be the last time these two schools play in any sport for a while. I think it is obvious that Baylor has nothing to gain by playing. The incident that happened will make sure of this. When both teams were playing their best players, Baylor dominated on both sides of the ball as reported by an unbiased news reporter. Best of luck to both teams this year. SM will have a great year in their small division. Baylor will have have good year, but a tougher time with their schedule resembling the SEC.

Signal Mountain will have the same regular season record last year with a possible loss to Sequatchie at home. They will lose to South Pit at South Pit and I think sequatchie has a good chance to beat them at there place also. However, I think signal will not be tested for the rest of their schedule and I think once again it hurts them in the playoffs. Good luck.