Signal Mountain spring practice/scrimmages

smeagle1

:wacko: Fellers, Old Pirate says them Chattanooga teams are starting to worry.................... :D

Theys been those that have always recruited other youngons. OP played golf with a feller whose youngon got benched when a new crop of transfers came in at That Chatt Arts & Sciences. Recon us kountree felers jest sit back and watch them city felers feud...a bit.......................... :wub: Theys plenty recruiting on in the city from bunches of folkes.

Promise you I am not one of them city fellers (as you put it) either, must not be to far up the road from you? But how true you are!! I am sure SM will have their hands full a few times this year. It is a shame that schools can't just play with what they have and have to go out get kids from other areas to fill their rosters (maybe they do not have confidence in the athletic ability of the kids already in their hallways, makes you wonder). Not all schools have something to draw these kids in (small schools in particular) and they do not have a choice but to go there and play. We'll just have to sit back and see what happens.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they even have zones in Chattanooga? A couple of years back, a basketball player attended and played at Hixson his sophomore year, played at Howard his junior year and played at Brainerd his senior year. One of the Howard fans who seems to know what he's talking about on Howard topics said there was never a change of residence. The TSSAA ought to take a look as they should have on that issue.

To answer your question yes they do have zones in Chattanooga.

As far as this kid who played basketball at all of these schools goes, maybe now one questioned it. /quote]

This player was one of the best on each team each season, though not a top prospect he was a difference maker. Since he's no longer in high school I don't think it's wrong to mention his name, Fred Jones. No one should have had to question it, it shouldn't have been allowed to begin with. Now we have Signal with at least 6 new transfers (and the fans still can't say anything about them on here).

That was a little rhetorical about zones in Chattanooga. It certainly seems most anyone can play anywhere at any time. There's no wonder some of the programs in different sports can build up powerhouses.

There's nothing wrong with a transfer but it needs to be done properly which as said includes residence requirements. And though it should have been obvious, it's now stated that coaches approached by parents on athletic matters should simply refer the parents to the school. When they enroll, or at least begin a legitimate enrollment process, then sports can be discussed with the coach. It's not rocket science, there just needs to be some enforcement.

Indian, I agree with you totally. This makes it very hard for some of the smaller schools to even compete. Maybe bringing this to TSSAA's attention will get the ball rolling for some investigations to be done. What are athletes today learning about life when this is taking place???? Coaches and administrators needed to follow the rules!!!!!!!! Good luck to all in the fall.

Pridemom, Jealousy will get you nowhere. It appears you have a strong hatred for our coach and our program. For someone who is not associated with the Signal Mountain Football Program, you seem to have a lot of inside info that many in the Signal Mountain Community do not have. I have been around this program since it's inception 2 years ago. I also followed the Middle School team for 3 years prior to that. Most of the kid's that play for our team have been in this community and on those previous teams. I know my son and most others have never lived anywhere but Signal Mountain. Sure, we have picked up a few students that did not go to SMMS but just because they previously went to a private schools does not make them ineligible to play for their community school. We played a JV schedule the first year. The transfers took care of their eligibility issues by playing JV which is allowed. You make it sound like we have gone out searching other schools to find their best players and then paid them, given them a house, cars or maybe something else to come to Signal Mountain. The only thing we have to offer these kids is a winning program and good education. They have chosen to come to our school, not been recruited. We don't need to recruit. There are many fine athletes on Signal Mountain. If you don't believe me, check the rosters of McCallie, Baylor, Notre Dame, Chattanooga Christian, GPS among other private schools in the area. I think you will find many Signal Mountain resident's make up those programs as well. If you would like to move to Signal Mountain and bring your football player, we would welcome that. I also know several realtors who would be glad to show you homes within our school district. As for the 6 recruits you folks on here speak of and the 2 phantom female kickers we supposedly have, you have your facts all wrong. If you have real info, please provide names, numbers and positions of the players so I can get up to speed. As a real Signal Mountain Fan, I would like to know who these great new players are so I can begin to watch them play. It is very hard to watch ghost players that do not exist. As for TSSAA inquires, If they want to waste their time and money, they can investigate, but they will find nothing, we have done everything by the books.

I'm not the one who first mentioned six transfers, the Free Press article did.

The only one mentioned specifically played at East Ridge last year so he would have needed a residence change (a "bona fide" change) to be eligble. The other 5 remain a mystery.

I don't think anyone is jealous of Signal Mountain High School. And no one likes your coach because he has earned a less then favorable reputation. I also know of several (atleast 3) kids that go to school at SMHS that do not live on or around Signal Mountain. Two of which play football and one of those kids might just be "renting a room" at someones house! And these kids aren't even new transfers! Signal Mountain fans and members of the community don't know these things because they don't care to know. Recruiting happens everywhere. But when you get an influx of 6-10 kids and they all just happen to play football, something (recruiting) is going on. And you can't blame it on "kids wanting to come to a winning team and get a good education". Baylor, McCallie, Red Bank and even the other small private schools like Silverdale have decent/winning football programs and probably the same if not better curriculum than SMHS. How can you explain a team that has only played 1 year of varsity football getting 6-10 NEW TRANSFERS? You can't blame it on a winning tradition because you only have 1 winning season... You can't blame it on academics either because there are more prestigious schools scholastically IN CHATTANOOGA. It would be easier if SM fans would actually use logic. I went to a private school in Chattanooga and we NEVER got more than 2 or 3 transfers any year much less 7 :D The TSSAA should just stop having transfer rules because they can't and don't enforce them. Oh well... :lol:

How bout checking East Hamiltons Roster, They are a new school. Do you not think that they have some new transfers as well. I guess that doesn't matter because they are not winning or does it just not matter because you don't have to play them? New schools are always going to have students transfer in. Deal with it.

East Hamilton is a year old. All of their kids were transfers but the majority of the kids at the school are in the Middle School. I'm sure a lot of parents pulled their kids out of private schools and/or Ooltewah, Ringgold, etc. due to the failing economy but I would wager a guess that most of the kids that go to East Hamilton are probably zoned for East Hamilton seeing their wasn't a public school in the East Brainerd area. SMHS has been in existence for 3 years now and they are still getting 6-10 transfers that all just happened to play football? I bet East Hamilton isn't get that many transfers that play sports in this upcoming year. I'm still having a hard time understanding how this doesn't seem like a large number to anyone from Signal Mountain. That is almost a whole starting 11 just in transfers. Not middle schoolers moving up, TRANSFERS! I went to high school. I played high school football. It's not "the norm" to get that many transfers if you're winning or not. And FYI, your coach has a reputation for things like that if I'm not mistaken. But who cares? As the saying goes, " If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'!" :lol:

Before we start throwing around words like cheating, It is not illegal to transfer schools. Everyone gets new kids every year. I know South Pitt has gotten players from North Jackson over the years. I have never heard anyone griping about that or calling them cheaters.

I'm not the one who first mentioned six transfers, the Free Press article did.

The only one mentioned specifically played at East Ridge last year so he would have needed a residence change (a "bona fide" change) to be eligble. The other 5 remain a mystery.

My dad told me at an early age not to believe everything I read in the paper.

As far as pepsi5000's cupcake references, I would like to know what the people in Marion, Whitwell, Lookout Valley etc. think about being cupcakes. TSSAA put 1A/2A schools together in the regular season. They need most of the blame. Have you thought that bigger schools won't schedule Signal because it is a lose/lose situation for them. If they win they are supposed to, If they lose they look stupid.

As far as some of the talk about certain kids who have transfered, the parents that are griping need to think twice about being too upset. If those kids didn't transfer out, your kids would probably be sitting the bench. But let me guess, you guys are such team players that you would be glad your kids are on the bench as long as your team was winning. Yeah Right!

Pridemom, Jealousy will get you nowhere. It appears you have a strong hatred for our coach and our program. For someone who is not associated with the Signal Mountain Football Program, you seem to have a lot of inside info that many in the Signal Mountain Community do not have. I have been around this program since it's inception 2 years ago. I also followed the Middle School team for 3 years prior to that. Most of the kid's that play for our team have been in this community and on those previous teams. I know my son and most others have never lived anywhere but Signal Mountain. Sure, we have picked up a few students that did not go to SMMS but just because they previously went to a private schools does not make them ineligible to play for their community school. We played a JV schedule the first year. The transfers took care of their eligibility issues by playing JV which is allowed. You make it sound like we have gone out searching other schools to find their best players and then paid them, given them a house, cars or maybe something else to come to Signal Mountain. The only thing we have to offer these kids is a winning program and good education. They have chosen to come to our school, not been recruited. We don't need to recruit. There are many fine athletes on Signal Mountain. If you don't believe me, check the rosters of McCallie, Baylor, Notre Dame, Chattanooga Christian, GPS among other private schools in the area. I think you will find many Signal Mountain resident's make up those programs as well. If you would like to

move to Signal Mountain and bring your football player, we would welcome that. I also know several realtors who would be glad to show you homes within our school district. As for the 6 recruits you folks on here speak of and the 2 phantom female kickers we supposedly have, you have your facts all wrong. If you have real info, please provide names, numbers and positions of the players so I can get up to speed. As a real Signal Mountain Fan, I would like to know who these great new players are so I can begin to watch them play. It is very hard to watch ghost players that do not exist. As for TSSAA inquires, If they want to waste their time and money, they can investigate, but they will find nothing, we have done everything by the books.

No jealousy and could care less about your coach! If I wanted to move to the mountain and bring my kid up there that is exactly what I would do is move my residence and do it the honest way! Fact is that some of the kids in the area I live in go to one school, while a chosen few go up on Signal (these kids parents do not work at the school) and it is not a quick trip to get there. I know longer have a child who plays football but when mine did he played at his zone school. I am just someone who is fed up with others who think they are above following rules and regulations. I know that this goes on everywhere but I see this take place everyday. How do you justify that??? I do not need to give you names. (Who are you??) TSSAA will be provided with them. As far as all the information I got about zones and regulations and anybody can call and get that information all you have to do is ask and it is also provided on TSSAA website. Sounds like I am not the only one who is aware of what is going on up there and yes East Hamilton probably does the same thing (and Soddy Daisy and McCallie and Baylor and GPS and Red Bank........) but I no for a fact that it takes place at Signal. If you child is a good athlete and can play at the college level, it doesn't matter where they go to school, the colleges will find him and you do not have to play for a "winning program". Kids who live out of zone and go to others school for sports are the reason why some schools develop powerhouses. If Signal has nothing to worry about then I am sure they will be OK and nothing will be found. I did not open this can of worms on here as Indian also stated. I do realize you can't believe everything you read in the papers, but I don't have to read about this I see it everyday! Call me jealous, say I hate your coach, whatever you like! My arguement is for following rules!!