Qestion for all

Hoopallday

Why do most High School Coaches not like AAU or Summer Travel ball and there coaches? I just seems that some high school coaches put the young ladies in a position to choose one our the other and they do not have the best intrest of the young lady in mind only there record. There are some very good high school coaches and there are some very good AAU coaches. I would think if they work together that the young ladies goal would be reached. Sad is what it is! Does this just take place in Northeast TN or does it happen all over the state?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do most High School Coaches not like AAU or Summer Travel ball and there coaches? I just seems that some high school coaches put the young ladies in a position to choose one our the other and they do not have the best intrest of the young lady in mind only there record. There are some very good high school coaches and there are some very good AAU coaches. I would think if they work together that the young ladies goal would be reached. Sad is what it is! Does this just take place in Northeast TN or does it happen all over the state?

Because it is easier to sit one on bench that has worked hard to improve than to get 8 - 10 more to work. I actually had one coach tell me he would rather have 5 bad players on floor and not play one that went to skill camps and played AAU and whose skill level was 2 -3 steps above rest because they looked better as a team and could not keep up with other girl. Then he says in paper how hard work is needed to earn a spot on team. Most coaches in E TN are lazier than the girls they coach. If you watch the games and read coaches comments in paper you sometimes wonder what game coach was at!

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!! Alot of them want to take the credit for what the team does during their regular season but if you look at the teams the aau players are on one would see that the work needed to win in high school has come from the aau coaches not the high school coach. The girls in aau want to play, compete, and win. They are not there to just be on the team. The coaches need to play those that can play and not let the ones that cause drama interfere with those that try to get better. Also alot of High School coaches think they help the girls get to the next level but its the aau that does that. Most of the H.S. coaches gain hate from the girls instead of respect because they try to break their spirit by using negative methods. Look who is with the girls alot of times when they sign their papers.

This is a hard subject for me, I have coached AAU and been on a coaching staff that took a group of boys to Memphis for the Nationals and saw competition from all over. The right coaches helps more than being on a winning team. Most AAU teams have several good players that make others work for a spot, where a High school team usually only has a couple of girls that cant leave the floor. If a girl gets on the right AAU team she will be better than a girl that doesnt do anything extra. But put her on the wrong team and she would be better off at a skills camp getting the proper technique down. It is hard to say what is right or wrong, but my girls will be playing aau or some type of travel.

This is a hard subject for me, I have coached AAU and been on a coaching staff that took a group of boys to Memphis for the Nationals and saw competition from all over. The right coaches helps more than being on a winning team. Most AAU teams have several good players that make others work for a spot, where a High school team usually only has a couple of girls that cant leave the floor. If a girl gets on the right AAU team she will be better than a girl that doesnt do anything extra. But put her on the wrong team and she would be better off at a skills camp getting the proper technique down. It is hard to say what is right or wrong, but my girls will be playing aau or some type of travel.

Here’s an idea, let girls from NE TN and SW VA opt out of school ball to play for area AAU team. Each AAU team would be based on age/grade in school. This would take at most a couple of girls from any one school and probably none from a lot. Then let AAU teams play one game against 10 – 12 area teams in NE TN and 10 - 12 SW VA teams during regular season. This way AAU girls get about same number of games in as regular season schedule and would not effect school schedules. This would show mommy and daddy what basketball is and how good their little girls and coaches really are!

The only high school team in NE. TN. that could stay with most Division 1 AAU teams would be SCIENCE HILL. They run in transition and move the ball with quickness when on the "o" side. They also seem to know how to make picks to open up their shooters. Several of these girls play some type of travel ball.

Also Coach Barnwell has a good supporter in Joe Ebarb. Joe runs a summer league year after year at the Hill which has helped the high school program. There is also a travel team that does some traveling. Coach Barnwell also shows his approval in my opinion when he can be found watching these girls as they participate in the program. He seems to get along with the AAU side.

Thanks for the response. A lot of good points. The bottem line is that all interest should be for the young ladies and that is what most High School coaches have lost. They would rather be 20-1 and beat there chest of how good of a coach they are than work with the summer coach and help the young lady reach her goal of continuing her education and playing career at the next level. Bottom line is that nobody cares about girls basketball except the people involved. So if a high school goes 30-0 and wins the state nobody cares except the school who won. So why not work together for a higher purpose, helping young ladies reach there dream and you can do this and still have a quality high school product.

Most high school coaches will not even have any dialog with AAU coaches. I do not know what they are affraid of. If the high school coach is doing what he/she is suppost to be doing, they have nothing to worry about. If they prepare everyday to be the coach these young ladies deserve then they should be will to work together. What the are failing to realize is that High School basketball is irrelevant. A young lady does not need to play high school basketball to get to the next level but 90% of them have to play summer ball to do so unless you are a Candace Parker. If the High School coaches dont come around they will not have anybody to fill there teams. Just look at the numbers. High School participation is down over the past 5 years and AAU is up 75%. Just sad!!!

By the way, There is not a high school team in this area that can hang with a top D1 team. Science Hill is a quility team but most D1 AAU teams have really good player 1-10. They have a couple quality players. Joe Ebarb? really? that is funny! But great point!

Hoop, funny that you ask. Most high schools who lose coaches in the state are loing them to Colleges/Universities or are being replaced by under estimated middle school coaches who are needing a chance. The caliber of coaches being hired as replacements seem to be at a high level to the degree that if they decide to leave for what ever reason, it is generally for good reason.

Despite your posts on this site, high school coaches not only are doing a good job but its obvious they are moving up ion the ranks for the job they are doing. Right now, AAU coaches are valuable in some schemes of thing but only as technicians and schedulers of events. Anyone can do that but the contention as to who is doing the work, very nfew AAU coaches can teach school work, help with home work or do a myrid of things to help in every day life. I will take the high school, the teachers, the councelors and trainers at the schools and the wide range of help available if indeed the dreams don't necessarily work out. AAU is great in some situations really great as a supplement but as a replacement, is very far behind. As a response though, high school coaches, for some of the reasons mentioned, should be concerned that they are and have been turning over too much of their training, good or bad, to AAU. AAU does not necessarily mean very good. It is an accumulation of better players in an area on a team. If those players are trained properly you have something. They aren't taught to go to school, do their home work, select their final goals, go to church and bring everything into perspective, contribute to the community they live in. Basketball will not carry anyone thru life. Other things take over that one only experiences with dealing with the people one deals with and watching their wide range of experiences.

PH, I agree somewhat with alot of your comments, but if you have ever been to an aau nationals and listened to the speakers, they tell these young kids to plan ahead and not to depend on basketball or whatever sport they are playing. They hand out what is call a Smart Athlete Strategizer. It is for the student-athlete to map out his or her high school and college career. This is the tricky part, the parents, kids, teachers and coaches have to be involved. I have seen the good and bad side of aau, but it is our jobs as parents and coaches to set the best example for the kids. The team I helped coach had a standard that had to be met on grades and behavior. Make the grade you play, act right you play. Like I said earlier the right coaches and teachers make all the difference.

Very good points that you are making but I did not say that "High School" was the problem. I am speaking in basketball terms only. I am saying that High School basketball is not relivant anymore for a young lady to continue playing at the next level. I agree there needs to be a balance and that is what I am saying about High School and AAU coaches "Working together". The high school coaches that you speak of going to the next level is few and far between. I do not have kids but have been around basketball 37 years of my life at all levels and it is just sad at what I see going on. You say that "baskeball will not carry anyone through life" I have to disagree with you. If not for basketball I would not have gone to college. Not only did I go and get a degree I got a full ride. It also took me all over the world and opened doors for me that have been priceless. It also taught me team work, discipline, hard work, fair play, deadication and self value. So, it can carry you through life if you let it. Heck, I even met my wife of 10 years because of basketball. lol

But this is not what I am speaking of. I just think if the coaches stop and think what is best for the young ladies then they would see that working together would be best. Period.....

Hoop, funny that you ask. Most high schools who lose coaches in the state are loing them to Colleges/Universities or are being replaced by under estimated middle school coaches who are needing a chance. The caliber of coaches being hired as replacements seem to be at a high level to the degree that if they decide to leave for what ever reason, it is generally for good reason.

Despite your posts on this site, high school coaches not only are doing a good job but its obvious they are moving up ion the ranks for the job they are doing. Right now, AAU coaches are valuable in some schemes of thing but only as technicians and schedulers of events. Anyone can do that but the contention as to who is doing the work, very nfew AAU coaches can teach school work, help with home work or do a myrid of things to help in every day life. I will take the high school, the teachers, the councelors and trainers at the schools and the wide range of help available if indeed the dreams don't necessarily work out. AAU is great in some situations really great as a supplement but as a replacement, is very far behind. As a response though, high school coaches, for some of the reasons mentioned, should be concerned that they are and have been turning over too much of their training, good or bad, to AAU. AAU does not necessarily mean very good. It is an accumulation of better players in an area on a team. If those players are trained properly you have something. They aren't taught to go to school, do their home work, select their final goals, go to church and bring everything into perspective, contribute to the community they live in. Basketball will not carry anyone thru life. Other things take over that one only experiences with dealing with the people one deals with and watching their wide range of experiences.