Twenty Ten District 7 AAA

pokerface

well...let the fun begin and i'll throw my two cents in the ring!

the team to beat...drum roll...is OAKLAND! they did lose a lot of beef (the end of the wendy's commercials...dang i'm showing my age) but still have alot of talent and good coaching!

# 2 and 3 will be between BLACKMAN AND SMYRNA! now i know i'm a tad bit tainted toward the blaze...but i'm also an insider there...so at least give me a hearing before you rip me... :bored:

but first...SMYRNA: they really should be good...as several folks have already said...the have a lot of talent...speed, speed, speed...their defense should be very good...but the offense must prove itself...meadow's is a beast and i would use him at fullback too...bryson has not had good years the past two years...but if he returns to his freshman form...they could go along way...which means the offense will need blocking and diversity!

BLACKMAN: as good as the defense was last year...this year will be better...8 senior starters...who can all play...ryan davenport-DE- at 6' 4"...220lbs...4.7 forty...who was stuck behind brown last year will come into his own...the surprise ! Raby is a detrich clone...armstrong at OLB is a stud...joyce at the other DE is a three year starter- and stubbs is a stud on the inside-along with josiele (sp?)...but here's the if...we must find 2 corners...but from what i saw at spring practice...the talent is there! and i've heard they have 2 pretty good inside linebackers!

offensively: STUD TAILBACK...will be hard to find a better one...in mathers! good WR's...but our questions are at the OL and QB...some good talent is there at both...but they are young and inexperienced...which means...??????????'s but the coaching staff is outstanding with Shad, Watson at OL...and robinson with the QB's...coaching does make a difference!

# 4 and 5 will be a battle between siegel and riverdale!

Losing Cody will hurt riverdale bad in that offense...or any offense for that matter! and we all know that in the wing T...it really hurts! don't know much about siegel...but they MUST score more points to have a chance!

The wolverines will be at the bottom...just saying!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bored:

It is going to be a LONG season this year.

OK 'Experts' let hear y'alls predictions for this year if you think mine are so bad and we can compare after week 10.

Everybody knows who I am. Y'all going to quit hiding behind screen names?

New to the site but heard some cool things about it once the season starts up.

I'd like to put in some picks for this topic:

1) Smyrna - fast and talented.....2 or 3 possible D1 players on this team. D will be stout and may see some wrinkles in the O this year.

2) LaVergne - OK start laughing at the new guy but I like the staff he has put together. Also, like some people have said they have talent.

3) Oakland - good coaching and good talented kids is a good receipt.

4) Blackmen - good D but it dose have some holes.......QB is a big (?)........RB is not.....wow he's good

5) Riverdale - QB ? and Wing T.......could be a tough one for the Warrior nation. Man I hate that offence

6) Siegel - New staff......could be a year or two away, who knows.

Let the ripping begin.........looking forward to a great year of HS football in TN.

Yes, LaVergne could be a dark horse. Just that it is a whole new system for them this year and I was NOT impressed with them against Wilson Central in the spring. My dislike of their coach has nothing to do with how I think they will do on the field this year.

If folks would honestly remember I disliked Coach Rankin as a person more, but I respected him as a WINNING Coach. I honestly like Coach A as a person, it is his WingT and not having a killer attitude and not being fast to adjust on the field I dislike. With the exception of his pick for the new O-line coach, I don't think much of his picks for a staff either after running off a bunch of good coaches.

The reason I think Siegel is a dark horse this year is the fact they always had athletes and a booster club that will produce. Yes they have a new HC this year, but he is NOT a stranger to the team. He already knows who he has and their capability. Add to this probably the best raw talent QB in the region who was brought up knowing football.

For those that are new and do not know who I am, I am Mike Skidmore and my phone number IS in the book. I do NOT hide behind a screen name to snipe at others. Anything I type on here I will tell to folks faces and not go for their backs. I just wish others would have the honesty to do likewise.

Yes, LaVergne could be a dark horse. Just that it is a whole new system for them this year and I was NOT impressed with them against Wilson Central in the spring. My dislike of their coach has nothing to do with how I think they will do on the field this year.

If folks would honestly remember I disliked Coach Rankin as a person more, but I respected him as a WINNING Coach. I honestly like Coach A as a person, it is his WingT and not having a killer attitude and not being fast to adjust on the field I dislike. With the exception of his pick for the new O-line coach, I don't think much of his picks for a staff either after running off a bunch of good coaches.

The reason I think Siegel is a dark horse this year is the fact they always had athletes and a booster club that will produce. Yes they have a new HC this year, but he is NOT a stranger to the team. He already knows who he has and their capability. Add to this probably the best raw talent QB in the region who was brought up knowing football.

For those that are new and do not know who I am, I am Mike Skidmore and my phone number IS in the book. I do NOT hide behind a screen name to snipe at others. Anything I type on here I will tell to folks faces and not go for their backs. I just wish others would have the honesty to do likewise.

Mike,

same question that I asked WarHawks! What offense would you run? Please be specific........I am very curious. You say that you do not like what he does............what would you do? This is honest dialogue.

LOD,

First, I am an old ex-coach that will remain nameless.............I can do that because I will not snipe or degrade anyone (especially coaches............I got enough of that for years LOL).

I have tinkered with just about every offense and probably know enough to be slightly dangerous to myself LOL, but I really like what he does............and here is why!!

In HS, you sometimes have talent-droughts or never any talent............Mr Rankin was smart enough to realize that at Smith Co.; he was competive, but would never win big. Thus the move to Riverdale at just the right time! Huge population growth, great principal, and pre-Blackman and siegel-----this was a great move on his part. I really think he left Riverdale too quickly; there was still a good enough group to win big, but he made an even better move to Alcoa (6A players in a 2A league).......sort of like hunting over a "baited" field ------------but great move!!

My point.......with the material Rankin has had recently; you can run anything you want---does not matter!! IMHO.

Most coaches will agree with this..........if you are limited talent-wise (especially in the line); the wing-T will give you a chance to be competive. The wing offense will also cover up a weak QB ( I absolutely know this), you can also use smaller backs.

It really is quite a good offense at any level (funny that many colllege teams and a couple of pro teams run the jet sweep.........they call it Wildcat, but it is just the same garden variety jet that a ton of HS's have been running for years.......Riverdale does that well.) So, if Warhawk says he would not run those side to side plays with fast players (a waste in his mind!!).........why do the Pros and some college guys do it. His statement really makes no sense unless he thinks it is a waste of talent.........how about this statement "If it will give lesser players a chance; why would it not give talented players an even bigger advantage.....they already have it with genetic gifts!!

You can only do (3) things on offense

1.) Run inside

2.) Run outside (*note Warhawk that is side to side regardless of what O you use)

3.) Throw it

Last statements or facts IMHO (and only mine).........Oakland without doubt had the best material in ya'll's league last season on both sides of the ball.

Did they have the best team?

Did they have the best offense? ( I will answer that one---NO!!)

Did Smyrna have some good "O" skill players? (218 points)

(2) most productive offenses were Blackman (I thought their schedule was not as challenging, but they still executed their stuff) and Riverdale (over 400 points).

I am sorry..........Riverdale is tough to defend so the question still stands for Warhawk and you.

what would you run on offense with the Riverdale Warriors?

Otter, the only 'flaw' with your reasoning is two years ago Coach A had an O-line that ALL got rides at the next level. One of which is at Fla State and even started as a Freshman. What did he do with it and the WingT? 5-5 that year and R'dale did NOT make the playoffs for the first time in 20 years.

slagiatt, as to the offense I would run, it would be the pro set as it is the one I know best. I do not have as much opposition to the WingT as most would think. Coach Elrod run it to perfection and won with it. What I mostly object to is a "NO PASS" WingT the Coach A seems to prefer. He went to the air last year and R'dale did really good, where as the year before he had a better O-line and did NOT pass and went 5-5.

Do I think I would be a better Coach? Not NO, but heck NO! I know my limitations, but I have been exposed to winning football. I also know when players are being UNDER utilized and talent wasted on the side lines and NOT prepared for the FUTURE! Rankin's biggest advantage and talent is he prepared kids for 3-4 years in the future, and NOT for just the current year. He also had the kids honestly afraid of messing up and being benched. Today NO ONE on the team is afraid of anything. More importantly no other team is afraid of R'dale. It used to be the waves of players walking on the field in Cardinal and Gold was worth 14 points in most games. Now we hear laughter and that is the hardest thing to stomach!

At Lavergne's spring game with WC you did not see the offence they will run. I-formation with waggles, traps and ISOs is about all you saw and they still beat WC.

Did you know Coach Stevens was not even at spring practices but for 1 or 2 times? He was still teaching at Oak Ridge finishing his obligations there. He did however make the game being it was on a Sat. morning.

Do you know how many starters did not play in that spring game?

4 of the 5 starting OL men, along with 2 of the receivers, the FB, 2 LB’s, 2 DBs and 2 DL men,were all in track or baseball. That’s a lot of starters not playing in the game and to still get a W.

Sure they look a bit sloppy at times but I will say this. The Defense looked as fast as I’ve seen at Lavergne in some time and they seemed to play with a bit more pride and attitude then I’ve seen in some time. Sometimes with a team like Lavergne, that has good players, all it takes is a leader to bring a new attitude and approach and it could make all the difference in the world.

Otter, the only 'flaw' with your reasoning is two years ago Coach A had an O-line that ALL got rides at the next level. One of which is at Fla State and even started as a Freshman. What did he do with it and the WingT? 5-5 that year and R'dale did NOT make the playoffs for the first time in 20 years.

slagiatt, as to the offense I would run, it would be the pro set as it is the one I know best. I do not have as much opposition to the WingT as most would think. Coach Elrod run it to perfection and won with it. What I mostly object to is a "NO PASS" WingT the Coach A seems to prefer. He went to the air last year and R'dale did really good, where as the year before he had a better O-line and did NOT pass and went 5-5.

Do I think I would be a better Coach? Not NO, but heck NO! I know my limitations, but I have been exposed to winning football. I also know when players are being UNDER utilized and talent wasted on the side lines and NOT prepared for the FUTURE! Rankin's biggest advantage and talent is he prepared kids for 3-4 years in the future, and NOT for just the current year. He also had the kids honestly afraid of messing up and being benched. Today NO ONE on the team is afraid of anything. More importantly no other team is afraid of R'dale. It used to be the waves of players walking on the field in Cardinal and Gold was worth 14 points in most games. Now we hear laughter and that is the hardest thing to stomach!

We will have to simply not agree! sorry :bored: ................I like what he does especially the option stuff, but I am a bit old school. I do feel that the option game will be back in the college game shortly aka Ga Tech influence. I use to really hate defending a good option team.

Opinions make the world go round.

toga

Siegel is the dark horse to watch this year with the new staff and play calling. It is NOT going to be where even the opposition fans can call the plays even before they huddle this year.

Oakland will be solid as usual.

Blackman could be a large threat if they have gotten a QB ready in the off season.

LaVergne, should be consistant this year............BAD!

Smyrna, as usual the pressure will be all on Bryson. One hard working young man does NOT a team make.

R'dale, depends on 'if' they remember that they are allowed to pass and can actually complete a few to keep defenses honest. If they can't it will be a 10 game season..........PERIOD.

ALL the teams need to remember with the current playoff system that there is a possibility of only TWO teams going to the playoffs from this Region/District. EVERY game has playoff possibilities.

Sounds like a true Oakland fan by the way you basically bashed every school on here besides Blackman. Riverdale will be good along with Smyrna. LaVergne will be better this year, and may suprise some teams.

LOD's kid played for Riverdale. Get your facts straight before you try to bash a fan base.

My predictions:

1. Oakland - Probably the most consistent and best team last year and have a lot of talent returning.

2. Smyrna - Some very talented players. Can be as good as any team in the district with all the talent they have. Still can't figure out with all that talent last year why they couldn't score more points. Can they put it all together this year.

3. Blackman - I want to put them at number 2 but I'm trying not to follow my heart although I do believe they can be as good as anyone if quarterback, Oline, and defensive backs develop quickly. Too many questions I guess to put higher than this.

4. Lavergne - The excitement around a new coaching staff could jumpstart this program just like it did Blackmans last year. They will be the surprise of the district in my opinion. Have established quarterback which will help.

5. Riverdale - New quarterback just like Blackman but have a lot of talented players returning. They will be good but just not good enough. Can new qb pass out of the Wing T like West? If so, they will move up. If not, I say #5.

6. Siegel - I believe they lost quite a few players. Not really sure what they will have this year.

Please don't take too personal my picks. I really honestly have no clue who will be the better teams. I'm just going by what I remember from last years teams. There are some teams I know very little about their returning players.

Go Blaze!