Booster Clubs and Fundraising!

Slider

I agree with Riverdale man. Your situation must be different than what I'm seeing. Goodpasture actually has a summer team made up of their younger guys. Mid State Baseball or something like that. They might send a stud or two to Hit After Hit or one of the other better travel teams.

Guys get better with at bats and innings. If a high school is doing it right, they are playing their JV guys in one game and the varsity ones in the other. Columbia played something like 70 games one summer. I've seen it done different ways and mostly it depends on the talent level of your players. The more talented players need some competitive games. The lesser players need more at bats and innings. I don't have a problem with a coach that's giving up his summer to supplement his teaching salary a little. He could bag groceries at Krogers or cut yards and make more money. A little something for the effort is cool with me.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Riverdale man. Your situation must be different than what I'm seeing. Goodpasture actually has a summer team made up of their younger guys. Mid State Baseball or something like that. They might send a stud or two to Hit After Hit or one of the other better travel teams.

Guys get better with at bats and innings. If a high school is doing it right, they are playing their JV guys in one game and the varsity ones in the other. Columbia played something like 70 games one summer. I've seen it done different ways and mostly it depends on the talent level of your players. The more talented players need some competitive games. The lesser players need more at bats and innings. I don't have a problem with a coach that's giving up his summer to supplement his teaching salary a little. He could bag groceries at Krogers or cut yards and make more money. A little something for the effort is cool with me.

Goodpasture had a daddy that got some Goodpasture guys together mixed with a couple other players. It was not commissioned by the head coach. Also, that's fine to supplement the coach but when a coach forces you to play and pay him that is what is ethically wrong. And there are schools that do that. They tell their players that they are selfish if they go and play somewhere else, "You're letting your teammates down". Now when i say force that is what the kid and parent thinks based on the coach telling the kid that.

You are right kids get better with at bats and innings and add this, vs better competition. I'll give you an example of a kid that couldnt even go play with a travel team after high school summer team was over. Go figure that out. The summer coach new that the high school coach did not let his player play with anyone else in the summer so the summer coach asked him to play with them when the high school summer team was over. HS coach found out and made up some other stuff that the kid had to do so he couldnt go play. Kid would have pitched in 2 trnys, one a 5 day trny the other a 6 day trny, would not have had to sleep in a hotel room and pitched vs better competition than he did all summer. The reason i know this is my son played on the summer team that had asked this kid to pitch. Now get out there and fundraise.

I get your gripe. It's just not like that for every team.

Our high school team had 4 or 5 guys play for some teams that played in big tourneys in Arizona and Florida. Went with the H.S. coaches blessing. He required 2 things of his baseball players:

1. Play for the H.S. team when you're not with your other team. That's to build team chemistry. Having a couple of studs with inflated egos come back to your high school team after playing for a big time travel team can be counter productive to what the high school coach was hired to do.

2. Everybody on the team needs to play. There's summer basketball, football workouts, showcases, vacations and whatever. Make an effort to play summer baseball with the high school team as much as possible. If he lets them just go wherever and play for summer travel teams that are playing the same kind of schedule that he's going to play, he's losing team chemistry and maybe enough arms or bats to play.

The high school team is better off having it's own summer program than letting the players just fall where they may. You'll have a third playing good competition and two thirds not doing much of anything.

This is where we are with summer programs of any kind. Especially if you have a kid playing multiple sports. He's getting pulled in a number of directions. TSSAA could make the dead period from Memorial Day to Labor Day and not hurt my feelings. Basketball coach wants them all of June, football coach all of July, some travel ball guy will throw him 300 pitches a week and not think twice.

Had our golf scramble this past weekend to raise money for the Spring Break trip. Fundraising never stops......

Edited by ksgovols