Where Did Mac Mccurry End Up At

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

artejohnson.jpg

VERY INTERESTING!!!

Eagles hire McCurry

Mac McCurry has been hired as defensive coordinator for Signal Mountain’s reigning Class 2A state-championship football team. Principal Tom McCullough said McCurry will be teaching physical education and wellness.

McCurry replaces Greg Ellis, who will be going back to Gordon Lee, according to McCullough.

“Greg did a great job, but he had an opportunity to go back home,†head coach Bill Price said. “To replace him I wanted another guy that could take the defense by himself, and Mac can do that. He has been very successful and we’re very glad to get him.â€

McCurry will come to the Eagles from Pearl River, Miss., where he has been an assistant coach. He has been a head coach at Ripley, Miss., and at Marshall County and Moore County in Tennessee. He directed Moore County to the 1999 Class 1A state final, where it lost to South Pittsburg

Signal Mountain

(14-0, won 2A state championship)

Among the program’s newcomers is former Moore County coach Mac McCurry, the Eagles’ new defensive coordinator. “He’s very, very intense, which I like,†head coach Bill Price said. “He’ll be here for spring practice, so we’re excited about what he can bring to the program.â€

Ernie McCarson also takes over coaching the defensive line, as the team switches to more of a three-man front, while offensively the biggest adjustment will be Reese Phillips taking over at quarterback.

“He’s got a lot of talent and he’ll be fine, but we’ve just got to get him a lot of snaps,†Price said. “We’ve got maybe four running backs we know we can count on, but we’re looking to find a few more for depth. That’s our big thing this spring, finding depth at a few positions. “We played a lot of bigger schools and tough teams last year, so that should help us make the adjustment to moving up to 4A in the fall. Our kids have been through a tough workout program, so they’re just ready to get back out on the field.â€

• 1 month later...