Soddy Daisy High School’s

trojan35

Good day for Sequatchie, qualified for the gold bracket with three shutouts, 3-0 over Bradley, 5-0 over Hixson, 5-0 over William Blount.

First win, stranded quite a few but scored two in the first, one in the second and made it stick. Senior Haley Brock was 3-3 with two RBIs in the first inning, junior Brooklyn Girdley allowed 1 hit, struck out 6.

Vs Hixson, Sequatchie hit two batters, had an error, gave up a single to the outfield and a bunt single all in the first inning and still managed to keep Wildcats off the board. Seq scored 1 in the first, double by senior Chasity Carlton scored junior Meredith Mitchell, who singled as leadoff.

Sequatchie didn't score again until the bottom of the sixth, added four more on several hits and a couple of Hixson errors. A bloop by junior Ashley Farley drove in 2 and a fly to the outfield from Brock added an RBI. Hixson had some hits but not a lot solid though they all count, good pitching by senior Keener when it was needed, good defense combined for the shutout.

Last game against William Blount, against a good pitcher. Freshman Moffitt and Carlton singled in the first, were stranded. WB stranded two in the second, single and walk.

Sequatchie got an unearned run in the third, Mitchell and Moffitt singled and a fly to the outfield that would have been out two was dropped. Another fly by junior Emily Dagnan was far enough to score Mitchell from third.

Seq scored four more in the top of the fourth. Girdley, soph Payton Carlton, freshman Jennifer Condra singled. With two outs and bases loaded, Moffitt sent the first pitch over the fence for her first over-the-fence homer of the season, has had a couple inside-the-park. It may not have been a home run on the other fields but still would have driven in two if not three and C. Carlton singled right after that so four would have scored regardless.

WB had two on in the last inning (sixth), single and walk, but Girdley finished the game with a strikeout. She allowed four hits. Sequatchie had 11 hits, Moffitt was 3-4, Carlton, Mitchell each 2-4.

One thing I liked other than the wins, each of the normal reserves got at least one start and each responded with at least 1 hit on the day. That shows they've been working in practice and should pay off next year should they win starting positions (3 freshmen and a junior).

Things get tougher tomorrow, Ooltewah looked like the opponent last I saw (lost 2-1 to Athens, AL).

Edited by Indian

Good day for Sequatchie, qualified for the gold bracket with three shutouts, 3-0 over Bradley, 5-0 over Hixson, 5-0 over William Blount.

First win, stranded quite a few but scored two in the first, one in the second and made it stick. Senior Haley Brock was 3-3 with two RBIs in the first inning, junior Brooklyn Girdley allowed 1 hit, struck out 6.

Vs Hixson, Sequatchie hit two batters, had an error, gave up a single to the outfield and a bunt single all in the first inning and still managed to keep Wildcats off the board. Seq scored 1 in the first, double by senior Chasity Carlton scored junior Meredith Mitchell, who singled as leadoff.

Sequatchie didn't score again until the bottom of the sixth, added four more on several hits and a couple of Hixson errors. A bloop by junior Ashley Farley drove in 2 and a fly to the outfield from Brock added an RBI. Hixson had some hits but not a lot solid though they all count, good pitching by senior Keener when it was needed, good defense combined for the shutout.

Last game against William Blount, against a good pitcher. Freshman Moffitt and Carlton singled in the first, were stranded. WB stranded two in the second, single and walk.

Sequatchie got an unearned run in the third, Mitchell and Moffitt singled and a fly to the outfield that would have been out two was dropped. Another fly by junior Emily Dagnan was far enough to score Mitchell from third.

Seq scored four more in the top of the fourth. Girdley, soph Payton Carlton, freshman Jennifer Condra singled. With two outs and bases loaded, Moffitt sent the first pitch over the fence for her first over-the-fence homer of the season, has had a couple inside-the-park. It may not have been a home run on the other fields but still would have driven in two if not three and C. Carlton singled right after that so four would have scored regardless.

WB had two on in the last inning (sixth), single and walk, but Girdley finished the game with a strikeout. She allowed four hits. Sequatchie had 11 hits, Moffitt was 3-4, Carlton, Mitchell each 2-4.

One thing I liked other than the wins, each of the normal reserves got at least one start and each responded with at least 1 hit on the day. That shows they've been working in practice and should pay off next year should they win starting positions (3 freshmen and a junior).

Things get tougher tomorrow, Ooltewah looked like the opponent last I saw (lost 2-1 to Athens, AL).

Sequatchie has Athens, AL who lost to Halls in the 9PM game

Yeah, that was a bit of a surprise. I was told-and I know this is insulting to Halls-that Athens tanked it to get into what they thought would be a "better" part of the gold bracket. Who knows, I didn't see that game and as CF mentioned, I didn't even know Ooltewah ended up winning that pool. Regardless it didn't work out well for Athens, Sequatchie beat them in their first game today. That was Sequatchie's biggest "name" win in a while, last year's Alabama 5A champ. Next game, the scoreboard read Grace 4, Sequatchie 3 at the end.

Edited by Indian

I think the good leadership on Beech's team is the reason they were able to overcome the distractions. It helps that the older girls have already played under the coaches and knew what to expect from them.

I didn't write them off. Beech always seems to find away to be competitive. AND just wait till CJ is activated. My daughter played with her last year and this young lady is the real deal!!!!