District 10 AA

sportsnutdad

This was one of the toughest AA Districts in the state in 2009. Who are the teams to beat this year?

Maplewood - Co-District Champion. Top ranking in state polls and made a deep playoff run in 2009. They have a new coach and have come out of the gate strong in 2010. They also lost Stone, but return many players including a talented and healthy pair of talented RBs.

David Lipscomb - Co-District Champion. Also a top ranking. Started a bit slow, but got hot and made a run into the playoffs. Eliminated in the 2nd round by the eventual state champion - GC. Many new faces, including QB, but also return a very talented pair of RBs.

Pearl Cohn - Very good team in 2009 and are picked by some to make a deep ployoff run in 2010.

Whites Creek - Everyone thought Whites Creek would be much better in 2009, but few thought their talented senior class would lead the team to a very, very nice season and a deep playoff run. Lost Their 1st game of 2010 against Goodpasture, but how strong will they be in 2010?

East Literature - New football program last year with a good start in 2009 including a victory over Maplewood. They haven't played so far in 2010, so how strong will they be in 2010?

CPA - CPA is normally a very good team, but the team was down last year. In 2010, they opened the season with a victory over an out-of-state team with a strong winning tradition. Also, in 2010, they feature many younger players.

Stratford - For the last few years, they've been a doormat in their district. This year they opened with a victory over Hunters Lane. Will this be the year for Stratford to make a statement?

Fans from each team make your predictions for 2010. HowDoItKnow - Let's hear your thoughts on this district and how the teams look for 2010?

-SND

Edited by sportsnutdad

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was one of the toughest AA Districts in the state in 2009. Who are the teams to

beat this year?

Maplewood - Co-District Champion. Top ranking in state polls and made a deep playoff

run in 2009. They have a new coach and have come out of the gate strong in 2010. They

also lost Stone, but return many players including a talented and healthy pair of

talented RBs.

David Lipscomb - Co-District Champion. Also a top ranking. Started a bit slow, but got

hot and made a run into the playoffs. Eliminated in the 2nd round by the eventual

state champion - GC. Many new faces, including QB, but also return a very talented

pair of RBs.

Pearl Cohn - Very good team in 2009 and are picked by some to make a deep ployoff

run in 2010.

Whites Creek - Everyone thought Whites Creek would be much better in 2009, but few

thought their talented senior class would lead the team to a very, very nice season

and a deep playoff run. Lost Their 1st game of 2010 against Goodpasture, but how

strong will they be in 2010?

East Literature - New football program last year with a good start in 2009 including a

victory over Maplewood. They haven't played so far in 2010, so how strong will they

be in 2010?

CPA - CPA is normally a very good team, but the team was down last year. In 2010,

they opened the season with a victory over an out-of-state team with a strong

winning tradition. Also, in 2010, they feature many younger players.

Stratford - For the last few years, they've been a doormat in their district. This year

they opened with a victory over Hunters Lane. Will this be the year for Stratford to

make a statement?

Fans from each team make your predictions for 2010. HowDoItKnow - Let's hear your

thoughts on this district and how the teams look for 2010?

-SND

Maplewood 1st

Pearl Cohn 2nd

CPA 3rd

David Liscomb 4th

Stratford 5th

Whites Creek 6th

East Literature 7th

My take as of now ..this will start to take focus around the 3rd game. Now I may be wrong ..but what if I'm right..

Edited by boski

1.) Pearl-Cohn

2.) Maplewood

3.) David Lipscomb

4.) CPA

5.) Stratford

6.) Whites Creek

7.) East Literature

I believe Pearl-Cohn is the best team in the district. They are well balanced on offense and defensively they are very good. Maplewood is very good on defense as well and has a pair of stud backs on offense but they can't throw it at all.

David Lipscomb and CPA are going to be very well coached and very fundamentally sound. Those 2 teams will do a great job of "not beating themselves".

Stratford is improved and may be able to compete and win a few games this season. That win over Hunters Lane opened some eyes for sure.

East Literature and Whites Creek (along with Glencliff) may be the worst football teams in Metro-Nashville this year. There is a reason why those schools underwent coaching changes this past off-season.

1.) Pearl-Cohn

2.) Maplewood

3.) David Lipscomb

4.) CPA

5.) Stratford

6.) Whites Creek

7.) East Literature

I believe Pearl-Cohn is the best team in the district. They are well balanced on offense and defensively they are very good. Maplewood is very good on defense as well and has a pair of stud backs on offense but they can't throw it at all.

David Lipscomb and CPA are going to be very well coached and very fundamentally sound. Those 2 teams will do a great job of "not beating themselves".

Stratford is improved and may be able to compete and win a few games this season. That win over Hunters Lane opened some eyes for sure.

East Literature and Whites Creek (along with Glencliff) may be the worst football teams in Metro-Nashville this year. There is a reason why those schools underwent coaching changes this past off-season.

Would have thought similarly before the season started. However, with Lipscomb losing to Page 21-7 that puts a big question mark on their 2010 season. Traditionally Page has not been that strong. Also, with CPA beating two KY defending state champions in the first two weeks, they may be stronger than predicted prior to the season starting.

Would have thought similarly before the season started. However, with Lipscomb losing to Page 21-7 that puts a big question mark on their 2010 season. Traditionally Page has not been that strong. Also, with CPA beating two KY defending state champions in the first two weeks, they may be stronger than predicted prior to the season starting.

Great points. Like I said earlier, there are some real questions on DL, this year. They may be down a bit athletically, but the biggest question is the OL/DL. There are some veterans returning, but the new players are bit wide-eyed. If they can get fundamentally solid, and get going, the offense should improve a great deal. We have the RB's and the QB can work with time. (He throws a nice ball and is accurate, but is not a scrambler.)

HowDoItKnow2 - What are your thoughts on the freshman Cooper Jackson #43. He's a real player and is physically a beast. He's already having an impact on the team and will be interesting to watch develop.

-SND

Edited by sportsnutdad

Great points. Like I said earlier, there are some real questions on DL, this year. They may be down a bit athletically, but the biggest question is the OL/DL. There are some veterans returning, but the new players are bit wide-eyed. If they can get fundamentally solid, and get going, the offense should improve a great deal. We have the RB's and the QB can work with time. (He throws a nice ball and is accurate, but is not a scrambler.)

HowDoItKnow2 - What are your thoughts on the freshman Cooper Jackson #43. He's a real player and is physically a beast. He's already having an impact on the team and will be interesting to watch develop.

-SND

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Lipscomb put it together as the season progresses. They have a great tradition and great program. Did they play a week 1 game last Friday?

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Lipscomb put it together as the season progresses. They have a great tradition and great program. Did they play a week 1 game last Friday?

Just looked it up on the scoreboard. Lipsomb had a bye last week, but play Maplewood on Friday. This could be a huge game for both teams. I also saw where Page lost to 1A Eagleville last week 5-3. That does not bode well for the Mustangs' loss to Page.

Ok folks, this forum has started to get good. We may even have a man-to-man "discussion" before it's over! Anyway, I just pulled a quote from Peter Powell's Game Notes on the DL website and thought I would throw it out for banter.

"District 10-AA Very Balanced

After the first two weeks of the season, District 10-AA seems to be even more balanced in its second year of existence. Last year, the newly formed district provided more of a tiered look with clear lines drawn toward the playoffs.

CPA has defeated two defending state champions from the state of Kentucky that defeated the Lions in 2009. Stratford has been able to break into the win column early on with an 18-12 win over Hunters Lane. Pearl-Cohn and Maplewood have ventured out of district play and have faced very strong teams from Division I and Division II across the mid-state."

While Peter's Game Day Notes are a must read for any football fan interested in District 10 AA football, and he is the best SID around, I have to wonder if I agree with his assertion that District 10 AA is more balanced than last year. For one it's too early to know, coaches will make adjustments, personnel will change some teams will mature while others fail to. Anyway, here's my early take on how the teams stack up versus their 2009 version. (I'll skip DL as I am a fan, and want to leave a read on the Mustangs to their on-the-field performance.)

10-AA 2009 Final Standings Projected Up/Down/Even in 2010

=========================================================

Maplewood (Co-Champ) Even?

David Lipscomb (Co-Champ) ? (I'll pass on this projection.)

Pearl-Cohn Even?

Whites Creek Down

East Lit. Down

CPA Up

Stratford Up

Ok, based on my early projections, how can one assess the total strength and balance of the district this year? Well minus a projection on DL, there two teams Up, two teams Down, and two teams Even. DL is the wild card. Another way to assess is to compare the top and bottom of the district. How will the top 2 or 3 teams compare to 2009? How will the bottom 2 or 3 teams compare to 2009? Some interesting food for thought.

My thinking is that the district is still one of the strongest top-to-bottom in the state in this classification. I believe the balance is close to 2009, but the top 2 teams may be slightly down from 2009. Overall, the district is close, but may be a very slight amount weaker. Thoughts?

-SND

Edited by sportsnutdad

1.) Pearl-Cohn

2.) Maplewood

3.) David Lipscomb

4.) CPA

5.) Stratford

6.) Whites Creek

7.) East Literature

East Lit is not a bad football team. Have loads of speed and talented skill players. Currently at 2-0- not bad.

Whites Creeks shuts out Stratford.

You might add Hunters Lane to your worst list HDIK2

Edited by FBGIRL