No change for Falcon football

panthervet

Well it looks like the same old thing at Volunteer again this year,0-10.When are the people in that part of the county going to do about the AD and the football staff.This is totally unfair for those young kids to go through this week after week,year after year.Wakeup people and get off your ____!

• Upvote 1

Well it looks like the same old thing at Volunteer again this year,0-10.When are the people in that part of the county going to do about the AD and the football staff.This is totally unfair for those young kids to go through this week after week,year after year.Wakeup people and get off your ____!

Well I don't think the coaches are teaching bad tackling techniques, missing blocking assignments, not to mention turnovers and thats what I saw Friday night. These young men didn't execute. For what ever reason, but I believe they will get it.

I really don't believe we were that bad. I think #4 (Mathers) is just that good. You were probably one of the many that left early too. If you truly are thinking of the young men on the field, then show your support the entire game. These young men deserve our support whether their winning or losing and they do notice when the so-called fans start leaving.

Well I don't think the coaches are teaching bad tackling techniques, missing blocking assignments, not to mention turnovers and thats what I saw Friday night. These young men didn't execute. For what ever reason, but I believe they will get it.

I really don't believe we were that bad. I think #4 (Mathers) is just that good. You were probably one of the many that left early too. If you truly are thinking of the young men on the field, then show your support the entire game. These young men deserve our support whether their winning or losing and they do notice when the so-called fans start leaving.

I do support the boys,but I think they deserve better.

I do support the boys,but I think they deserve better.

Well I am trying to support both.....the young men and the coaching staff. Blaming the coaches for poor execution is not the answer my friend.

These young men will get it. First game jitters, an excellent running back, turnovers....etc. Who knows. What I saw Friday night was not what I've seen in scrimmages. For whatever reason, our boys had a bad night.

I'm glad you support the team. Falcon football has a great winning tradition and will again, This was just the first game.

Have faith brother. The Falcons have alot of football in front of them.

I’m convinced that Volunteer has no chance to win a game this season. The coaching staff doesn’t switch things up on offense and the play calling is horrendous. The coaching staff had a year to come up with an offense to help these boys win. And all they come up with was the single wing. The Single Wing is a pee wee football offense. I really don't know why in the world any team would run this as their main formation. I do not understand how the coaches couldn't see that the single wing was a bad idea. Yeah, it worked a little against 1a schools in the scrimmages, but not having an offense with the QB under center or another offensive plan is just insane to me. I really hate it for the boys on that team. I do support the boys, but I also believe they deserve better.

Also, I want to know why Volunteer doesn’t play their players both ways. I watched DB play their first game this season and they had 7 players playing both ways, including their QB and star RB.

Nail driver, I believe you are talking about a different team.

Also, I want to know why Volunteer doesn’t play their players both ways. I watched DB play their first game this season and they had 7 players playing both ways, including their QB and star RB.

I also do not understand why we don't play all the best players both ways, the only school that I know of in East Tennessee that has the luxury to do this is Maryville. They also have over 2000 students and 11 state championships. To win in high school football it takes putting the very best players on the field on offense and defense even if that means you have 90% of the team playing both ways.

I know these boys work hard all year round and its not fair that they have to suffer through all these losses, they have the talent. Coaches just need to realize what works and what doesn't and call the plays that set this team up for success! Nobody can question my loyalty to this team for the scrimmages and games I drive at the very least 1:30 mins to support this school. It would be nice to make the late night Friday ride home happy from a victory.

I’m convinced that Volunteer has no chance to win a game this season. The coaching staff doesn’t switch things up on offense and the play calling is horrendous. The coaching staff had a year to come up with an offense to help these boys win. And all they come up with was the single wing. The Single Wing is a pee wee football offense. I really don't know why in the world any team would run this as their main formation. I do not understand how the coaches couldn't see that the single wing was a bad idea. Yeah, it worked a little against 1a schools in the scrimmages, but not having an offense with the QB under center or another offensive plan is just insane to me. I really hate it for the boys on that team. I do support the boys, but I also believe they deserve better.

i couldn't agree more. volunteer is playing 5A because of their school size, so i am tired of hearing they don't have any talent this year! this team has talent but unfortunately the coaches do not know how to use it. the best 11 players need to be on the field even if they all play both ways. volunteer has played that way in the past so why not now. also it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that EVERY time the offense comes out in a shotgun spread that we are going to pass!(because the coaches don't mix it up with some running)something needs to change for our boys because they DO deserve much better.

Edited by falconfan00

Someone mentioned that Volunteer has had a winning tradition in football? That is farthest from the truth statement I have ever, ever heard! It is actually sad if anyone thinks they have a winning tradition. If you are talking about when Volunteer was in lower class...not even then! When they win 4/5 games a year...that is a good year for them. Facts are facts. Not downing anybody. Can't sugar coat that topic.

Someone mentioned that Volunteer has had a winning tradition in football? That is farthest from the truth statement I have ever, ever heard! It is actually sad if anyone thinks they have a winning tradition. If you are talking about when Volunteer was in lower class...not even then! When they win 4/5 games a year...that is a good year for them. Facts are facts. Not downing anybody. Can't sugar coat that topic.

fact are facts and the comment you are jabbing at mentioned the falcons but not the "volunteer falcons".

volunteer is mentioned nowhere because that post was misplaced and already pointed out by another member. not downing anyone but take a closer look at things before you jump on someone or our "volunteer falcons"

Wow, I think my eyes are playing tricks on me. Some of you are saying the exact same things that have previously been said by fans in years past. Although back then, myself and many more have been downed as not supporting this team for speaking our minds.

I've supported this team for many years. From pee-wee to high school - I've sat through entire games from beginning to end regardless of win or lose. I've watched the Falcon stands go from a packed house, to barren concrete slabs by the end of the 3rd quarter. I desperately want to see these boys be a winning team. Heck, not for me as a fan, but for them! I could only begin to imagine how proud they would feel of themselves if they could win these games. With all that said, it's not going to make one ounce of difference how much we as fans support them! We can't do anything more in the stands to play the game out on that field for them. That is what their coaching staff is for, that's what their paid to do for our boys and school! Have they been giving them the advantages of a winning team? heck no! Berate me all you want, it's the truth.

Talent is at Volunteer, always has been. Week after week their is talent standing on the sidelines, playing on the field or sitting in the stands. Yes, in the stands there are boys who have talent enough to play. Yet when they started attending Volunteer they either quit before JV, during or right after. Most of the reasoning behind their decision is because they are tired of the coaching staff who know squat about what they are doing. They are sick and tired of the AD hiring his buddies or who his buddies want him to hire that know absolutely nothing about teaching kids how to play the game! Just because you played football, doesn't mean that you have the ability to teach someone else the game. They are tired of Rider who doesn't know jack about coaching a well-rounded team overall. To explain myself about knowing their is talent, take the middle school level from Church Hill alone. Several years ago Church Middle School went undefeated under the reign of Coach Palco. Undefeated! Those boys are at Volunteer today. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Devon Rogers played during that time, or right after when Coach Fain took over. Then Coach Fain for example had his boys disciplined enough to win all but one of their games last year. Those boys are now playing JV football for Volunteer. Now I realize middle school football comes nowhere close to playing the size and ranks of high school football, but what happened after they started at Volunteer? We should have seen these same boys only getting better. However, we never seen some of them play again. Most of their playing time was yanked and they are no more than sideline warmers for nothing. (I know someone will come off with a lame comeback to say I must be disgruntled parent with a kid standing on the sidelines. I can assure you that is not the case, I'm not one of those parents, never have been, never will be.) The reason I say that is because it's true. They are positioned on the sidelines and have no amount of play time until someone gets injured, or they are seniors. By that time these boys have lost strength, effort, passion and ability to perform basic fundamentals.

Somewhere along the way the coaching staff at Volunteer doesn't step above and beyond to make a whole team. Nothing is in place for a complete, well-rounded athletic football program. There is nothing for a nutrition balance program, combined with a rounded body building program to increase strength, endurance etc... The body building their doing right now is not going to help without everything else put behind it. When Rider moved in, he removed over half of the equipment that was purchased by football boosters from years past. I can tell you this, our competition owns their own sets of that exact equipment and they darn sure use it on a daily basis in their body building programs. There are a lot of Falcon players that lose roughly between 20-45 pounds during camp, two-a-days or when they finally start back rushing to prepare in the fall. This leaves them at a disadvantage when facing larger, stronger, tougher teams we have to play now. They do not discipline each boy the same, they do not teach the boys who are average how to be better players. They simply don't know how or they refuse to do so.

Some of you are saying to play kids on both sides of the ball. Ok, if that is what you would rather see, fine. Let's try that approach and wear these boys out. No offense, but are you crazy? Most of the boys cannot play a full 4 quarters as it is. Now your wanting to wear them out worse by playing them on both sides of the ball? This still goes back leaving more boys standing on the sidelines instead of playing and growing an overall effect football team. If that approach happens, why not take those sidelines warmers off the field entirely. Stop wasting their time, because I guarantee you they don't appreciate standing there all night watching their life float by them. I don't appreciate my tax money, concession money, booster money etc.. being wasted to purchase these boys with uniform, equipment, food and travel expenses. But hey, here's a novel idea.. How about we find a coaching staff who will teach these boys that everyone feels are average or can't play squat how to better? At one time they were learning and could play, why not continue? Get them off the sidelines and use them effectively, teach them how to play before Friday night or senior year!

Wow, I just noticed how long this post had become. I apologize if I offended anyone, or if you don't agree with what I've said. My opinion may be different than yours, but I can assure you that we want the same goal...for the Falcons to finally come out on top and win.

Volunteer has not been a very competitive team since the 70's. Some say that Rider is the best we've ever had, blah blah blah. That is BS in my honest opinion. Yea, we went to first round playoffs. Rider may have been head coach, but it was not because of HIM. It was the football players who did it, they wanted it bad enough. Coach Rider only has 1 game up, plus the lucky break that slid them into playoffs over previous Coach Veneable.

Quote pulled from the Kingsport Times News - If you want to check it, you must have an online electronic version of the paper in order to view the archives.

Morristown East has hired Randy Frazier as its new head football coach. He will replace Walter Bragg, who resigned recently. There were 23 applicants for the position. Elizabethton native Scott Rider was among those on the short list.

Coach Rider was hired in the spring of 2005. Before he was hired by Volunteer he was among 23 applicants looking to be hired by Morristown East. MoEast ultimately hired Randy Frazier. Rider moved into the Falcon nest and removed any and all traces of stats, school record holders etc... Why? Since the time he was hired Volunteer has versed MoEast 4 times with 3 loses, 1 win under Rider. Coach Veneable's Falcons versed MoEast 4 times with an even record of 2 and 2.

Volunteer Falcons History Stats 1980-2009

Located Here

Quote at his hire date from the Kingsport Times News -

"I've been looking at a lot of things and trying to find the right fit," Scott Rider said. "I finally found what I'm looking for."

Rider does not shy away from the prospect of turning to some famous names to help him. His father is tops on that list. "I've relied on Dad a great deal," he admitted. "He's an awesome resource for anyone willing to sit down and talk to him. He's so knowledgeable of the game and how to deal with people." Nephew Jason Witten, an All-Pro tight end for the Dallas Cowboys, also has pledged support. "I've talked to Jason about coming here sometime and he's offered to help," Rider said. "He's the type of person who doesn't forget where he came from. If he says he's going to help, I believe it."

Volunteer High is Rider's learning curve for being head coach. He's done an average job of accomplishing what he has. Is he great? No, he's an average coach with little head coaching knowledge. As you see, he's depending on Dad's knowledge. Good for him, but we didn't hire dad. Volunteer hired Scott Rider. Also, Rider has played the famous nephew card and we fell for it. Did MoEast or the other schools he applied for before Volunteer? No. We did, hook, line and sink. Volunteer higher ups saw stars in their eyes. They saw a potential and hope that the famous nephew would pour money into our football program. Listen, I don't knock the man for playing that card. Heck, most men would do it, still doesn't make him an all time great coach. And the famous nephew has brought in how much star power to the Falcon nest? A golf benefit. He now does a camp in Elizabethton, which is where he is from. Sounds reasonable, pay tribute to your hometown. Jason seems like an all-around good hearted guy and blessed with talent.

Without making another long post, my point is, Rider is not some great god of football. It's time this town stops kissing some arse and treating him as if he is. It would be nice to see this football program have a big overhaul for the better. Can Rider do this? It's possible, like the boys though he needs to work on improving and accomplish it. If he can't, I say kick him. Yet, with how far the program has sunk, I don't see great prospects bouncing at the chance to be our head coach.