Bearden tournament and Oakridge tournament

easttnref

No offense to the new coach, but this is not the same tournament that has been taking place in the past. The quality of competition is a joke. Look at the previous tournaments, and the competition that Oakridge has faced. Reguardless of wins and losses these games helped them get ready for state tournament runs. I hope Pigeon Forge gets you over the hump this year, but I just don't see how. Congrats on winning the tournament though. I'm sure everyone in Oakridge is proud.

To further the discussion look at the Bearden Tournament

Bearden

Farragut

Cak

Father Ryan

Cleveland

Mcminn County

Sevier County

Cleveland

Greenville

Karns

Maryville

Germantown

Hoping I didn't miss any...

The fields aren't even close.... The Oakride tournament field used to rival the Bearden Tournament. Now it looks like it left overs.

In the past, Briarcrest had always done the Oak Ridge tournament, but the Hendersonville tournament attracted schools from Memphis that have typically gone to Oak ridge. One big advantage is that the girls did not have to miss school on Friday since Hendersonville utilizes the holiday and plays games on sat/sun/mon versus Oak ridge playing games on fri/sat/sun. This also allowed parents to not have to take a day of vacation from work to go to the tournament. Additionally, it is a shorter drive to play in Nashville.

Teams in Hendersonville:

Hendersonville HS

Brentwood HS

Franklin HS

Collierville HS

St George's

Briarcrest

No offense to the new coach, but this is not the same tournament that has been taking place in the past. The quality of competition is a joke. Look at the previous tournaments, and the competition that Oakridge has faced. Reguardless of wins and losses these games helped them get ready for state tournament runs. I hope Pigeon Forge gets you over the hump this year, but I just don't see how. Congrats on winning the tournament though. I'm sure everyone in Oakridge is proud.

No offense taken. While it might be difficult to believe, my move to Oak Ridge came very late and it was not for lack of effort that Katie Hunter was much smaller and had fewer powerhouse teams. It took a lot of hard work by many more people than myself just to make sure we could continue this tradition to honor Katie. I moved to Oak Ridge 2 months after her passing and with both my sister and I being former Wildcat/Lady Wildcat soccer player, I refused to lose this tradition. It just means too much.

And, yes, we are proud of our girls!

Even with the abbreviated list from years back, it still was a good tournament and people had fun.

The two KY teams are state ranked, and the game between them was very good. It was a fast, competetive match with physical play, and a couple yellow cards. Bang bang fair challenges had players being sent off for trainer care. Greenwood's starting keeper is probably as good as anyone in TN. Last year, in the good game against St. Benedict, she was literally flying everywhere and made the all tournament team as a sophomore. For this game, they were cycling their GKs. Their number 2 GK fell on her hand late in the game and had to leave. With their Number 3 stopping some good hard shots, Dunbar scored on a very nice cross with 5 min left for the 3-1 final. This was an exciting match to watch.

This tournament almost did not happen for well documented reasons and it is a miracle this came about considering the late start in planning. There are alot of people behind the scenes that made it happen. Hats off to all of them. Teams that came should be commended. Teams that did not return, could do so in the future when they realize that the host school will remain very competetive under the new era with a very young team. With the tournament continuity, teams will be willing to come back and new teams will want to come. Even more so, there could be a window of opportunity for cooperation between the two Knoxville area schools that hold Labor Day tournaments.

OTP, you are correct in that both Kentucky teams were quality opponents. As you note above, Greenwood played St. Benedict extremely well last year and played all of the Tennessee teams at the Katie Hunter XIII well. Also Dunbar played in a middle Tennessee tournament last year and played Brentwood Academy and Centennial very tough. We appreciate ALL teams coming to Katie Hunter XIV and for us to have the opportunity to keep the tournament going. This an Oak Ridge tradition in honoring Katie and providing quality soccer. Despite what easttnref may think, this past weekend continued that tradition.

Last weekend was great weather with some great girls soccer. I can't comment on the overall results but some observations:

Farragut is for real - great team, not a lot of weak areas, dominates the middle of the field

Father Ryan - another solid team, they had Bearden down 2-0 at half and controlled possession but ended up losing 3-2

Bearden - two studettes who have a chance to score every time they touch the ball

CAK - still pretty good but they are not as good as years past

Greeneville - Good, but can they find their groove consistently?

Officiating for the tournament - all over...

Welcome comments / discussions