Best of Knoxville

K2ruth

Prep Extra did a great article Friday on the best teams and players from Knoxville. Other than having Farragut too high, and having Oak Ridge ranked at all (11th) it was a good article.

Here is my perspective as to the top players:

OH - Erin Pittman from Anderson County. A senior with ferocious intensity. A six position player.

- Lauren Lowery from Maryville. Not only her teams best player, but a fantastic offensive force.

MH - Kelsey Handel a senior from Karns. The best player in Knoxville, no discussion. She does not get used

enough.

-Tara Robertson a senior at Bearden. Slightly more athletic than Ferris, but also has a better setter

which shows her off more. Ferris is a close 3rd.

RH - No one has stepped up to distinquish themselves to be the best at this postion.

S - Mari Deuschle at Catholic, by just a hair over Alex Greene at Bearden. If either of these girls were

at Karns they would make the Beavers a legitimate contender.

L - Oliva Herrell at Anderson County. 2nd best player in region behind the Karns middle. Best in the

state at her position.

Best Rookie - Jessica Seviers at Karns. Why the Karns coach did not put her on the list is a mystery. She is Karns second best player behind Handel, and may be better than Handel.

Best Coach - Mike Jones at Catholic. Doing more with less than anyone.

Best Coaching Staff - The addition of Linda Seviers gives the Beavers the volleyball knowledge that they have needed. Since adding Coach Seviers Karns has become a force. If she is given the freedom to change the offense to be more sophisticated then Karns has a chance.

Best Teams - 1)Karns - Coach Seviers with her daughter and the 2 middles have the most talent in ET.

If she can help the other coaches from having a late season panic then they should win it all.

2)Anderson County, young well coached, and most athletic team in region.

3)Bearden, proving last year no fluke.

4)Catholic, well coached.

5) Maryville, having a great year.

Edited by K2ruth

Best Teams - 1)Karns - Coach Seviers with her daughter and the 2 middles have the most talent in ET.

If she can help the other coaches from having a late season panic then they should win it all.

I agree that Karns is very talented and has great middles. However, I hope you are not including the tri-cities and Chattanooga in your definition of ET, as I would have to disagree about the most talent in ET. Just wondering, have you seen any teams outside of Knoxville play this season in person?

On here the trend is to include Chattanooga and the Tri-Cities as well as Cookeville in ET. I meant to include all of those areas. I have watched Sullivan South and Dobbins Bennett this season. I stand by my statement. The 2 middles and the coaches daughter are as good a 3 front row players as any in ET. I don't think they are using the coaches daughter enough, and found it interesting that Coach Williams mentioned only the seniors when she picked her best players for the article. I assume that oversight was "political."

Karns only weakness is serve receive. They also get a little predictable. I don't think you can win a state championship in Big School by using the middles as much as she does. It works fine against weak teams where they just go over a short or inexperienced middle, but against the better coached, and more talented teams in middle TN, they will get beat.

I think they had the talent to win a state championship last year, but couldn't adjust at the tournament. I felt that was because she lacked confidence in her OHs. This season she has a fantastic OH with size. She should be getting alot more sets. If she will make this adjustment Karns could go a long way. If not, it will be a repeat of last season.

Really? You are including Chattanooga and Tri-Cities? Really? For this whole list or just for your statement about Karnes front row? If so then you really need to take off those K2 glasses and see the much bigger picture! BTW how many of the players that you listed play for your club? has this forum become a club recruiting tool now?

Really? You are including Chattanooga and Tri-Cities? Really? For this whole list or just for your statement about Karnes front row? If so then you really need to take off those K2 glasses and see the much bigger picture! BTW how many of the players that you listed play for your club? has this forum become a club recruiting tool now?

22, I do believe I know where you are coming from. IMO, projections made really

have more to do with where the schools are and the coaches are at this point. Thats why a good gage is the BIVD at Brentwood when schools from much a the State wioll play. The Mid Tenn is another good gage along with the Back to the Boro. Certainly if no one shows, you go with what you see. If everyting is decided on size and Coach Williams thinks that is the case, and my bet she does not think so, she likely will not prepare that way.Anyone preparing for one style of play will leave early. This year alone I have not seen as many different looks. DB, at Indy, did the same thing. The State will be one of the most strategicly played Tournaments IMO with exceptional coaching seen in some time. But isn't that the way its supposed to be. I look even for surprises coming out of Chattanooga after seeing some of the scores being posted there. Coaching will be Smart, Savey, changing on the run and if a coach cannot make those adjustments and the substitutions required, it will be a learning process.

The list was only meant to include Knoxville area teams. It was in response to an article in Friday's paper.

My comment about Karns was meant to be for all of E.T.

What E.T. team has 3 better hitters than Karns? I haven't seen any. Have you? If so, who?

Only a couple of the players play for K-2. The Karns players play for Phoneix Rising, a club run by Karns. The AC Libero didn't play club, to the best of my knowledge. So we only had 2.

Announcements