Greeneville at South Greene

DevilMan03

Devils or Rebs  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Devils Or Rebs

• Devils
    • Rebels

That's harsh Bud...I think perhaps there was the consensus in some circles that 3 Rivers would be a more competitive conference...an idea which had some merit. It will get interesting if a couple of Big 8 schools move down to 4A in the next reclassification as expected. I expect the shock of getting handled by the county schools in basketball and baseball last year has worn off and those boys are ready to get to work to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Why is that harsh? It's all true. Is the truth that hard to handle? Like it or not, that's the way some people think. It's probably that way in a lot of places. Some city folk think they're better than county folk. Not everyone, but some.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that harsh? It's all true. Is the truth that hard to handle? Like it or not, that's the way some people think. It's probably that way in a lot of places. Some city folk think they're better than county folk. Not everyone, but some.

Hey last time I checked, uppity didn't stop at the city limit sign. There's plenty of snotty county folks that look down there nose at other county folks too! And if makes you feel better, those snotty city folks look down there nose at other city folks too. I get sick of hearing that whine. We don't all wear a "area of origin" sign. If someone is gonna treat you bad, they are not gonna take the time to find out where you live first.

Hey last time I checked, uppity didn't stop at the city limit sign. There's plenty of snotty county folks that look down there nose at other county folks too! And if makes you feel better, those snotty city folks look down there nose at other city folks too. I get sick of hearing that whine. We don't all wear a "area of origin" sign. If someone is gonna treat you bad, they are not gonna take the time to find out where you live first.

True, but a lot of the time it comes down to the school systems. You're ignorant if you can't see it or hear it. It's there. I went to the city schools, played two sports in high school including football. I've had the pleasure of dealing with many county kids in the past. I've seen both sides. I know people from both areas and there is alot of talk about the two different systems, not all of it dealing with athletics either. Again, it is what it is. I said before, I wasn't trying to start a war. Just stating some facts that I know are true.

How about that football game Friday night? Good luck to both teams!

I think everyone knew when Richards took over as AD that if the opportunity to move down in classification presented itself, Greeneville would take it. The baseball, softball and soccer programs stood to benefit immediately from reclassification. I don't think region 1 would have drawn the kind of gate T$$AA would like to see and the cross-county games have been a veritable cash bonanza for everyone involved not to mention loads of fun. I don't think West Greene would have ever drawn 4,000 fans to the Range to see them play anyone else but Greeneville. I expect to see a similar turnout at South Greene this week. Our BRAC games might not be as challenging as our former IMAC/5 Rivers friends but they are just as fun.

I think the AD would tell you that he was only a small part of the move. One big change came from the TSSAA. Prior to this reclassification football stood on its own. If FB wanted to play up that did not affect the other sports. All the other sports (I was told by the TSSAA)were tied to basketball. Which is not exactly equitable...BB only has to put 5 starters out there...Baseball 9, Soccer 11, Wrestling 14, Track and Field 12+...So year in year out ..except for a few dry spells ..Basketball could compete with the big schools..but other sports had it a little tougher. A lot of imput was given by GHS coaches and a lot of consideration was given to minor sports..but the final decision rested with the Greeneville City Schools central office.(i.e. the director of schools) I think the best decision was made! A level playing field ...if a school wants to cry foul because GHS beats them badly then they need to work to upgrade their program.

I think the AD would tell you that he was only a small part of the move. One big change came from the TSSAA. Prior to this reclassification football stood on its own. If FB wanted to play up that did not affect the other sports. All the other sports (I was told by the TSSAA)were tied to basketball. Which is not exactly equitable...BB only has to put 5 starters out there...Baseball 9, Soccer 11, Wrestling 14, Track and Field 12+...So year in year out ..except for a few dry spells ..Basketball could compete with the big schools..but other sports had it a little tougher. A lot of imput was given by GHS coaches and a lot of consideration was given to minor sports..but the final decision rested with the Greeneville City Schools central office.(i.e. the director of schools) I think the best decision was made! A level playing field ...if a school wants to cry foul because GHS beats them badly then they need to work to upgrade their program.

This is all true. What I was talking about was there were many Greenvillian's who wanted to be put in the Three Rivers Conference. In fact, I believe Richards went to a TSSAA meeting to see if was possible to be put in that conference. That means that CD would have also went with GHS making that a 10 team conference and splitting up the Greene County rivalries. The TSSAA couldn't do that. If I remember correctly, all the county school principals went to that same meeting. Why them and not the AD's, I don't know.

I have heard that South Greene is currently under the student population of 3A and qualify for 2A. If this is the case, do you think they move down to 2A in the next reclassification in order to get away from GHS in football? If so, they will have to eat tons of crow that has been spread the last 2 years!! I believe they will if the oppertunity presents itself.

I have heard that South Greene is currently under the student population of 3A and qualify for 2A. If this is the case, do you think they move down to 2A in the next reclassification in order to get away from GHS in football? If so, they will have to eat tons of crow that has been spread the last 2 years!! I believe they will if the oppertunity presents itself.

They were the smallest school in the classification in the state when it started. Where they are now, I don't know. Are they reclassifying next year? I was under the impression it would be this way for four years.

This is all true. What I was talking about was there were many Greenvillian's who wanted to be put in the Three Rivers Conference. In fact, I believe Richards went to a TSSAA meeting to see if was possible to be put in that conference. That means that CD would have also went with GHS making that a 10 team conference and splitting up the Greene County rivalries. The TSSAA couldn't do that. If I remember correctly, all the county school principals went to that same meeting. Why them and not the AD's, I don't know.

Word was, when all this went down, that there was a board of control member that was a big Sullivan North Fan

That led the fight to keep GHS in this district instead of that conference up there. GHS coaches wanted up there(Better competition/less travel) and So did the GHS administration...but evidently someone else had more pull.

Word was, when all this went down, that there was a board of control member that was a big Sullivan North Fan

That led the fight to keep GHS in this district instead of that conference up there. GHS coaches wanted up there(Better competition/less travel) and So did the GHS administration...but evidently someone else had more pull.

I think it was more to do with geography than pull.

Seems like coach Jones hit the nail on the head. Pressures on the devils but sg seriously has no chance at all. I've even heard Sg Players say that. Thats not good if you wanna win against the devils...The defense will shut down their Offense. Hall will be in the backfield allnight. And Our O will embarriss their defense! their D isnt very good at all.

Seems like coach Jones hit the nail on the head. Pressures on the devils but sg seriously has no chance at all. I've even heard Sg Players say that. Thats not good if you wanna win against the devils...The defense will shut down their Offense. Hall will be in the backfield allnight. And Our O will embarriss their defense! their D isnt very good at all.

Shawn is a pretty smart guy. I believe many of the conference teams this year realize how good the Devils are. Not too many teams are going to go into that one thinking they are going to win. It's been said on this board before, everyone else is playing for second place.