CAK vs Sequoyah

dumdum

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious... I realize the CAK QB is talented but last week made me wonder if it's more about the offensive "system" at CAK evidenced by the fact that a sophomore QB came in and started his first game and had huge numbers.

I believe our 2nd string QB would start for many High Schools and is a very talented player. With him, its not the system as much as it is pure talent. The next two years will be exciting with him at QB.

Just curious... I realize the CAK QB is talented but last week made me wonder if it's more about the offensive "system" at CAK evidenced by the fact that a sophomore QB came in and started his first game and had huge numbers.

Well...it took about 4 days longer than I suspected...but someone finally asked the question, which is a good question by the way. CAK's offensive philosophy attracts QB's & WR's. Why wouldn't it...we throw the ball 75-80% of the time. We will throw more passes in 1 game than many teams will throw in a season! The "system" is almost exclusively designed to do just that. CR.Bradley is as good at that part of the offense as anyone, thats why Carson Newman came a knocking over the summer. He understands the passing game completely. But this "system" puts a huge load on the shoulders of the QB and you have to be football smart, athletic, have a good arm, be willing to put in HOURS of preparation (beyond the team practice), and submit to doing precisely as told. You don't have to be a D1 level QB, but you have to be way better than average. CAK is blessed right now with 3 very good QBs, all of whom would be starters at most schools in the Knoxville area. Luckily, the 2 non-starters are also very proficient at other positions.

So, in summation, the CAK "system" is engineered for success, but only with the right QB & WR's executing it.

I think CAK will pull off the victory here. CAK is a talented football team, me being in my Senior year at Stone Memorial High. CAK are hard hitters, and are eager to win. I have CAK winning by 14 to 21points. CAK's QB is a beast, and will keep poring on the passing yards. Good luck to both teams. :thumb:

Nice to hear from one of our new region friends in Crossville. Stone is heading in the right direction, sounded like you all had a real battle with Kingston. Hopefully the Warriors will represent Region 4 well this Friday. Good luck to the Panthers with Grundy Co. :thumb:

Good to hear from you Powersweep. Your guys are having another great season. You and I had a discussion about the CAK sophomore QB when he transferred to Webb a couple of years ago for a year.

In my love of HS sports, I have had a chance to watch quite a few middle school QB's as well. The sophomore back up QB (High) and the starting QB (Epperly) were the 2 best middle school QB's I personally had an opportunity to watch any time. The MS game between CAK with High and Webb with A. Blace was one of the best MS games I have seen, and both were totally dominant on the field.(Game went down to the final seconds.) There is a 3rd QB at CAK (Maddux) that moved exclusively to defense last year who I never saw in person but I have heard was a phenom as well.

The system is a pass oriented system and certainly is a big part of the passing success, but CAK has been blessed with one QB after another that could start just about anywhere assuming they want to pass the ball. I was posting back several years ago when people were asking if we would have a decent QB after Harb, Cates, and Fromke, that we would be in great shape with Epperly. (I didn't know he would have a growth spurt and be 6-2 205.)

If CAK can develop the OL, next year CAK will be set on offense as well with a core group of skill guys that have been outstanding going back to their MS play.

I'll also point out that CRB does an outstanding job developing receivers to their full potential, but it doesn't hurt if you have a group to work with like they do now.

So, in summary, the system is great, but if you got a chance to see the film, you would agree that it takes a special HS QB to do what Epperly and High have done.

Edited by Govolsknox

Well...it took about 4 days longer than I suspected...but someone finally asked the question, which is a good question by the way. CAK's offensive philosophy attracts QB's & WR's. Why wouldn't it...we throw the ball 75-80% of the time. We will throw more passes in 1 game than many teams will throw in a season! The "system" is almost exclusively designed to do just that. CR.Bradley is as good at that part of the offense as anyone, thats why Carson Newman came a knocking over the summer. He understands the passing game completely. But this "system" puts a huge load on the shoulders of the QB and you have to be football smart, athletic, have a good arm, be willing to put in HOURS of preparation (beyond the team practice), and submit to doing precisely as told. You don't have to be a D1 level QB, but you have to be way better than average. CAK is blessed right now with 3 very good QBs, all of whom would be starters at most schools in the Knoxville area. Luckily, the 2 non-starters are also very proficient at other positions.

So, in summation, the CAK "system" is engineered for success, but only with the right QB & WR's executing it.

Pretty much what I thought... thanks for the explanation. I know CAK has had a long line of prolific QBs under Bradley's offense and it sounds like the pipeline is loaded.

Pretty much what I thought... thanks for the explanation. I know CAK has had a long line of prolific QBs under Bradley's offense and it sounds like the pipeline is loaded.

Our running backs would love to play in your schools system, and your receivers would love to play in ours. Two different worlds, both successful. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way, another good chance for you to bring home the hardware!

Good to hear from you Powersweep. Your guys are having another great season. You and I had a discussion about the CAK sophomore QB when he transferred to Webb a couple of years ago for a year.

In my love of HS sports, I have had a chance to watch quite a few middle school QB's as well. The sophomore back up QB (High) and the starting QB (Epperly) were the 2 best middle school QB's I personally had an opportunity to watch any time. The MS game between CAK with High and Webb with A. Blace was one of the best MS games I have seen, and both were totally dominant on the field.(Game went down to the final seconds.) There is a 3rd QB at CAK (Maddux) that moved exclusively to defense last year who I never saw in person but I have heard was a phenom as well.

The system is a pass oriented system and certainly is a big part of the passing success, but CAK has been blessed with one QB after another that could start just about anywhere assuming they want to pass the ball. I was posting back several years ago when people were asking if we would have a decent QB after Harb, Cates, and Fromke, that we would be in great shape with Epperly. (I didn't know he would have a growth spurt and be 6-2 205.)

If CAK can develop the OL, next year CAK will be set on offense as well with a core group of skill guys that have been outstanding going back to their MS play.

I'll also point out that CRB does an outstanding job developing receivers to their full potential, but it doesn't hurt if you have a group to work with like they do now.

So, in summary, the system is great, but if you got a chance to see the film, you would agree that it takes a special HS QB to do what Epperly and High have done.

I have ZERO concerns about the development of the O-Line for next year.