occhs football

ocucsf

The Rebels did an excellent job on defense last night against Dyersburg. I believe they held the Trojans to around 150 yards total, about 65 of that in the 1st half. I saw the linebackers actually covering backs in the flats. The D-line was making tackles at the line, and still had a few sacks. I saw corners making tackles against the run. Whether the change was in the scheme, the assignments, or the players, something clicked. Nice improvement by the players and coaches.

OCUCSF, we didn't have to combine jr. highs for that to happen!! lol, had to get my shot in!! GO REBELS!

Practicing in the morning has nothing to do with it....The problem, in my opinion, is how they practice...They are doing just what Fishel did at Union City and you see where that took the program...When Bowling came in and got down and dirty and got to playing physical football you see the results...

And, I don't believe the Westview game will be over at halftime...

If this is the answer then why weren't we good defensively when Bowling was at OC? Outside of Savion Hayslett we where down right terrible on defense a couple of those years.

If this is the answer then why weren't we good defensively when Bowling was at OC? Outside of Savion Hayslett we where down right terrible on defense a couple of those years.

When was the last time you saw a football game on Friday night, Saturday afternoon or Sunday played in shorts ??

I know you are young coach so take this tad of info for what it's worth...I have talked to my former coach and some of my old assistant coaches..I asked them back when Fishel was coach at UC what they thought of the way the Tornadoes practiced at the time...They said when you commit to that style you lose your physicality...You lose your toughness...You don't play the game in shorts...My head coach is a Tennessee Hall of Fame coach...I'm going to put great confidence in what he has to say and his opinion on the game...

Listen, this way be the way in college but those guys are the cream of the crop when they come out of high school...They already know how to form tackle...They already know how to bring a runner to the ground...In high school you have kids that don't know how to form tackle..They don't even know the proper way to hit..Tell me how many times you guys have practiced in full football gear this year ??...Even back during two-a-days when you are learning your trade...Has it even been a handful of times ??..Look, I understand the line of thinking of not getting hurt in practice but if you play that way you play scared..You have to learn proper technique...

And in closing, if you want to compare the guys toughness and physicality to the bunch that had Savion, Garrett Grady, the Cruce's, the Clouse's, Steven Weaks, the Clanton's and so on you go right ahead but you are fooling yourself if you think the current group is as physical as that group...

The Rebels did an excellent job on defense last night against Dyersburg. I believe they held the Trojans to around 150 yards total, about 65 of that in the 1st half. I saw the linebackers actually covering backs in the flats. The D-line was making tackles at the line, and still had a few sacks. I saw corners making tackles against the run. Whether the change was in the scheme, the assignments, or the players, something clicked. Nice improvement by the players and coaches.

OCUCSF, we didn't have to combine jr. highs for that to happen!! lol, had to get my shot in!! GO REBELS!

The Rebels will have to cover the flats and outs this week...Westview killed them on those passes in the second half of last years game...If our corners play as deep as they do now they will get killed again...

I hope both units turned the corner this week...It was great to see the defense and offense clicking...Shows what kind of season they could have had but more importantly shows what they can do in the near future...

Very excited about the Westview game...

As an outsider and know folks who have kids on all four county Jr teams and the OCHS team, it has been told to me that one problem is the following....do you agree or disagree...

Take this...every kid who goes to each of the county schools have friends at that school..not many at the other schools. Then their parent become friends because community baseball programs like Woodland Mills, Troy, Hornbeak etc. Now all of the kids play all of these sports together all year. Then they all come together at one big school like occhs. Their parents come also. Ok, when little Johnny was a great player at lets just say Lake Road...he now comes to occhs and is with other star players and little johnny has to sit because someone else plays...problems start. Then with groups of parents that hang with each other and their kids...from the same schools, it just seems to me the chemistry would take a while to build. Am I wrong ? I know that right off the bat that kids coming straight in from all of the schools have to learn to become friends...right? They have played against each other for 8 years in something.

This may not make since but it would be NO different than if all of the kids from Lake Road came to Union City, it would take a while to learn trust, new friends, learn the new system, etc..... I just think that one, the City schools on sports...any city has up against any county that has ( 4 ) Jr. High Programs going into one. OCCHS is one of the only schools that I know anywhere that has ( 4 ) Jr. High's feeding into one high school. Union City has one elemtary/Jr. High that feeds the high school. Our Jr, High runs the same offense type thing that our high school runs. They are ready coming in as Freshmen and can start. Just a though. Good Luck. Unitl everyone is on the same page...you will have trouble getting things together in my opinion and that is my opinion only. It seems in the county that every community has some type of deal that their programs were better and the feeling always stay that way.

The schools that OCCHS competes against each year in their region doesn't have that problem....Ripley, Dyersburg, Crocket County, Westview, Gibson Co. Covington. Year in and year out, I really think it hurts the Football more so than Basketball or baseball, why I do not know.. Basketball has proven that it has been able to win and move well into the playoff system...even winning a Basketball Gold Ball in 1986....football on the other hand has had a more difficult time....

Lincoln County 6

Henry County 4

Lawrence County 4 I think

Warren County 6

Cumberland County 9

Jefferson County 4

These are a few in TN there mybe some more but i don't have time to find them all.

Edited by riverrat106

Just for kicks, and To Maybe stir up justaocfan, what's everyone's thoughts on a track team at oc? Would that benefit All the kids and there elected sports?

What time of the year is track time? I think it would benefit some of the kids, and some of the sports. Then again, each sport might lose some to track. I'm all for opportunities for the students. I think it would be great, but I don't see that happening. Seems to me that most, not all, kids nowadays don't have time for multiple sports. They have too many outside interests. Jobs, vehicles, hunting, girlfriends, etc. Most aren't willing to give up any more time for an additional sport. But for those that do, or prefer track only, it would be great.

Just don't try combining it at the jr. high level!!! lol :roflolk:

Edited by justaOCfan

Just for kicks, and To Maybe stir up justaocfan, what's everyone's thoughts on a track team at oc? Would that benefit All the kids and there elected sports?

One small problem.....No Track and no room to put one around the football field without some major renovations...That means more money....

Other than that, I'm all for track at OC....