occhs football

ocucsf

Exactly, and the community as a whole is against trying it, but like I Said before if it doesn't work what have you lost? Nothing, you can go back to the same "old school" ways , win a little here and there and be happy with being mediocre at best.

I don't think anyone in the area is happy with being mediocre at best. There have been some good teams at OC that were far beyond mediocre. The problem IMO is that those teams are the exception, not the norm. Unfortunately, people look at this in reverse. They don't want to change and see if there are any results. They want to see results at the high school level before buying into a change. And until OCCHS has stability in the ranks, very few in the community are going to go along with what the new coach on the block wants to change. People are leery of the "flavor of the month" they are used to seeing. Again, I do not exclude myself. My kid is a senior and plays baseball only now. He is my youngest so I have no personal stake in this, just my Rebel blood.

I'm sure you would lose a few at first that is probably expected. But the numbers were up at oc because of a good season, same thing would happen in this case, u might lose a few but if it worked you would get those kids back plus some. Stability concerns me too, seems we are never able To fully allow quality coaches to build a program To the point it needs to be, seems they outgrow what we are willing to let them have. Stability comes from us, once We as a whole get tired of seeing coaches come and go and are willing to back one coach long term for the long haul, the revolving door stays up. With that Said I expect coaches to move forward and move on in There careers if there goals are set that way and have no problem with that. I would however like to have our program be one that the next coach that is hired is blown away by what type of program we have, the support they would get. A quality program that excepts only the best of coaches, Because that's What the kids of oc deserve. The best opportunity to succeeded. Coach Jackson, QB club, parents, have done a great job last few years Trying to change things for the better and have done a great job with that. The support must continue, new things have to be done, or what progress has been made was for Nothing! Next coach that's hired can be a scrub, like the one before Jackson. Stability? ? Dang right, that's what I want as Well!!!

Rebel fans, I've read most of your posts and completely understand your postion on wanting to be more competitive. We at Covington are feeling some of the same pains you are. However sitting on the opposing sidelines every week I get a full concept on what is going on with these kids. It's usually pretty ugly and not very becoming of trying to shape these boys into men. However at the Obion Central game this was not the case. These kids responded yes sir, no sir, very respectable and I don't remember ever hearing a single cuss word throughout the game. So my point is this: As much as you have that appears to be going wrong the most important parts, you have are going right. Why winning is very important the life lesson thses boys are learning will far out weigh a win loss record 10 years from now.

Rebel fans, I've read most of your posts and completely understand your postion on wanting to be more competitive. We at Covington are feeling some of the same pains you are. However sitting on the opposing sidelines every week I get a full concept on what is going on with these kids. It's usually pretty ugly and not very becoming of trying to shape these boys into men. However at the Obion Central game this was not the case. These kids responded yes sir, no sir, very respectable and I don't remember ever hearing a single cuss word throughout the game. So my point is this: As much as you have that appears to be going wrong the most important parts, you have are going right. Why winning is very important the life lesson thses boys are learning will far out weigh a win loss record 10 years from now.

Thank you for your comments. While every team is going to have some issues in those areas, it is very promising to hear positive comments from someone outside the program. Now, how much would it take to buy that little #1 running back you guys have? Good luck to the Chargers!

At P&G Standard..... your Exactly right, getting into a district is one of the goals, now your playing for something to take pride in, a united county wide effort, with EVERYONE'S support! Jr rebels district champs sounds much better to me than rebel bowl champs! Now carry that attitude of winning into high school, We know we can compete with you, we beat you in Jr high! Success breeds success!

I'm sure you would lose a few at first that is probably expected. But the numbers were up at oc because of a good season, same thing would happen in this case, u might lose a few but if it worked you would get those kids back plus some. Stability concerns me too, seems we are never able To fully allow quality coaches to build a program To the point it needs to be, seems they outgrow what we are willing to let them have. Stability comes from us, once We as a whole get tired of seeing coaches come and go and are willing to back one coach long term for the long haul, the revolving door stays up. With that Said I expect coaches to move forward and move on in There careers if there goals are set that way and have no problem with that. I would however like to have our program be one that the next coach that is hired is blown away by what type of program we have, the support they would get. A quality program that excepts only the best of coaches, Because that's What the kids of oc deserve. The best opportunity to succeeded. Coach Jackson, QB club, parents, have done a great job last few years Trying to change things for the better and have done a great job with that. The support must continue, new things have to be done, or what progress has been made was for Nothing! Next coach that's hired can be a scrub, like the one before Jackson. Stability? ? Dang right, that's what I want as Well!!!

What coach has stayed long enough to outgrow the program? Hill left to return to Arkansas. Bowling left to go to Dyersburg (for whatever personal reasons). Driggers left to return to Jackson (And I myself did not consider him to be a scrub. He went 0-10 the same as Jackson went 0-10). I look at the set up that is available as of now. I see new equipment out the wazoo, new uniforms, new program pride paraphernalia (New logos, inflatables, etc.) and I think it is all good for the kids. They have great new weights, great indoor facility, new lockers, and he was given the 1st block of the day for football at his request. I would say the program has lots of leeway to evolve as needed. I see plenty of coaches in the ranks. I would guesstimate the player to caoch ratio to be about 10:1. That's pretty darn good. Even baseball doesn't get that ratio.. I see the facilities in excellent condition. Is the only thing left at this point is combining the jr. highs?

Jr Rebels District Champs does have a nice sound. But when you have Cougars, Mustangs, Eagles, and Generals spread over the county, Rebel Bowl Champs ain't bad. I remember a Ridgemont team that spanked (and I do mean spanked) everyone in the county. They passed on the Rebel Bowl bid and played in the Tater Bowl, which they also won. I watched another Mustang team defeat Kentucky in the Rotary Bowl, and another beat a Dyer County team in the Iron Eagle Bowl. I know of a Hillcrest Team that spanked everyone they played as well even outside the county, including Union City. I remember Ridgemont defeating 3 Oaks, and 4 years ago a VERY talented Dyer County that got shocked on Rebel Field by the Mustangs. I don't think the problem lies in not having a winning attitude.

I'm sure by now that my posts are becoming irritating to you. That's not the intent. My intent is to say that if it's this hard to convince someone straddling the fence, what is going to convince those that stand across the fence. I haven't seen anything yet that sways me to agree with you. I see 2 good points in learning the schemes, and somewhat building unity. I see that offset by numbers losses, the limit of the unity due to other sports, and I still haven't seen the answer on what the primary goal is behind jr. high sports. That, along with the spread of the county schools, still keeps me leaning toward the current set up. To push this agenda is going to require an extensive as campaign that not only defines goals, but gives specifics on how this would improve the kids oppotunities as well as the program. I'm not an easy sell, but I'm still in the market for improvements.

Need to take this debate to a more public forum, need more voices Both for and against to be heard. Time to call a meeting? Maybe the paper? Any suggestions?

Newspaper? Definitely not in my opinion. The OC school system does not need another article in the paper discussin the woes of the program. Unfortunately, I don't know the best venue. But I do know that the appeal has to be to the jr. high school programs, coaches, students and parents. Nothing will be accomplished in trying to convince the parents of kids already in high school. I do know that you will have to present the case as being for the kids, NOT for the Rebel football program. Little Johnny in the 7th grade has a mommy that knows only that Johnny looks so handsome in his Mustang uniform playing on a team with a 20 player roster. Why, he even gets to play some in some games. Isn't he something!!! Now, if you can figure out how to convince Mommy that Johnny could be playing at a higher level, accomplishing more as a student athlete and becoming a fine young man, above what he is accomplishing now, then you can win her over. Then, and only then, will it have a chance. The greatest mistake would be to approach Mommy explaining to her how good the Rebel program would be if Johnny were to play with kids at other schools, if she would take him to weight lifting at OC 4-5 nights a week throughout the year, and also get him to OC for practice 5 days a week during season, and then set in the stands while Little Johnny may or may not get to play any even though Little Jimmy got to run the ball in the last game.

See my point? Mommy has to know what good will come for Johnny, not the Rebels.

I would say this needs to be an all out charge led by the coaches of all sports at OC. Get the basketball coaches on board, the softball coaches, any team sport that is played at both levels. Present a unified front on the advantages of what this combining can do for not just Johnny, but Jill as well. Perhaps the coaches and athletic directors from all the schools should meet and prepare a battle plan. Then meet with the school board and request a survey amongst the jr. high parents in each school to see how much support is available. Campaign. Win those hearts and minds. Not everyone out there is a coach or a guru (contrary to what they think and we are all guilty of that to some degree), so common sense from a football stand point won't get it. Bottom line, if the parents and jr. high staff don't support it, you can cancel Christmas cause it ain't gonna happen.

Justaocfan...... your post are not irritating at all, o started This topic and debate for the feedback and thoughts of everyone. With that said I Think this same type of thing needs to happen with the Jr coaches and parents, ad's etc.... this subject seems to open every few years and needs to be looked at very seriously by all involved. You make some good points. There are many things to consider. I know my opinion or desire to see this happen isn't enough. Maybe sometime soon they will reopen this topic with school board, coaches etc... until then all I can do is lobby for what I think would be the best thing for all the kids.

Tbiggs...... thanks for the nice comments! Could you give us some information on Your Jr high program and what steps Y'all have taken with them to help improve your high school team? Not to involve you in our debate but simply for knowledge and example?

It hard for ya'll to compare to Tipton County because population wise we are so much bigger. However we do have a newly started pee wee football program but all the towns, Munford, Crestview (covington) brighton all have there own jr.high school football programs. We (Covington) don't particularly agree with the constant changing of zones to take athletes away from Covington and give to brighton of course that a whole other discussion. However the brighton powers to be don't like it when Covington is successful.So see it's every where! :0))))

Thank you for your comments. While every team is going to have some issues in those areas, it is very promising to hear positive comments from someone outside the program. Now, how much would it take to buy that little #1 running back you guys have? Good luck to the Chargers!

He's would probably be expensive beause it's been a while since we've had a RB of his calibur. Good Luck to the Rebels.