occhs football

ocucsf

I don't think the Jr. Highs are the biggest problem with the high school program. I do agree that combining the schools into a central team would be advantageous to some degree, in that they would all run the same schemes. They would play a few teams different from what they play now. But I don't believe that putting the teams together for 2 years before reaching high school is the miracle cure for OCCHS. If the schools were combined in a middle school, it would be a no-brainer. But as long as the schools are individual, the teams will be. If this was a cure-all, why wouldn't we also combine the basketball teams, the softball teams, and any other sports they play. I believe the feeder schools supply OCCHS with plenty of quality athletes, which are spread throughout the various sports programs at OCCHS. I look at the numbers on the OC sideline each Friday night, and they look good. But a moderate portion of those didn't play at the lower level. Would they have if the county had been combined? I don't think so in my opinion. I saw the numbers plummet when the youth league was combined. How many Jr. High players would quit if those were combined? Again, IMO there would be quite a few. I have personally hauled kids all over this great state to participate in sports, and I don't mean just mine. Anyone who knows me can attest to that. I have encouraged many a youth to play sports, quite successfully I might add. I have not made up my mind whether I would support combining the schools, but at this time I tend towards not.

I know Ridgemont used to play 3 Oaks out of Dyersburg and used to play an always talented Dyer group. They had success against both. I will say that I don't think county teams want to play UC, but not because they can't compete. I can assure you the Ridgemont team my son was on could have competed with any team around. IMO, there is too much bad attitude between the city and county to play at the Jr. High level. Too much "old school" in both systems. Look at the baseball league in UC Babe Ruth. For years the city did not want to combine, nor did the county. When the city numbers dropped way down, then they wanted to combine and it is a reality now. Too many people in this area with long memories, and I don't exclude myself.

Now, as far as running the high school schemes at the Jr. High level, that is a tough call. Until OC proves that they have stability within the coaching ranks, that is a wash. I know Ridgemont converted to the Veer under the assurance from Coach Bowling that he was going to be at OC. He left the following season. I am not knocking him leaving, but that is the type of problem I am talking about.

Now, convince me of what would have changed with the current OC football team if they had been combined at the Jr. High level? Be specific and be thorough. Convince me to see the other side of the spectrum. I am not committed either way, so I can honestly look at what is presented. I have my own opinions as to what could improve the current team as well as future teams, but combining the Jr. Highs is not yet within my thoughts. Give me a legitimate reason to think differently.

Ok, my son was in 5th grade when youth football combined so I saw numbers drop kids did quit. Mostly from what I saw and heard Was kids or there parents didn't want there kid playing for this Guy or that Guy, then you had the daddy ball coaching that played kids over other kids unfairly, this wouldn't happen if you had legitimate paid coaches doing there job . And there are always a couple of dads that have aau basketball teams in the summer made up of different players from all the schools same with softball travel teams we have so essentially they are combining to a point. Which is great.

Now by combining the football teams and having these kids work out 4 or 5 days a week all year round like most schools in our district do they would not be as physicaly behind as freshman as they are now. We have sophomores that are Just now getting physically were they should be as freshman, and again where most these other schools kids are at that age. Just go to freshman or jv games and you can see that. So we have a sideline full of kids that just aren't ready yet. We also have kids coming in as freshman that don't even know how to run a receiving route correctly or at all, don't know how to hold or properly throw a football. More than half of them from youth league up thru middle school seldom if at all have ever won a game, they have to learn how to win, losing is nothing new to them its acceptable to them. Physically and fundamentaly when they get to high school they know nothing.

Was Ridgemont the only school that moved to the veer? Like now they are the only school that has moved to the spread? Are these some of the stability problems that the oc coaching ranks has? Did hill, bowlin, and Jackson all want the combining of the Jr high programs? Or atleast want everyone on board with the right training and workout programs? Seems like the stability issue is when the better coaches that oc has had gets to the point where they want to actually build this program starting at the Jr High level they meet resistance. Is it coincidence that these coaches that have had winning seasons all get to wanting the same thing from the feeder schools? Dyersburg is were bowlin went, then Uc, are all there Jr high kids working and playing together to build there programs? Covingtons Jr high kids go to the high school facility 5 days a week all year round, check with Pratt at CC see What there program does.

I don't think any of the aforementioned coaches left because they had 4 feeder schools instead of a combined team. If a football player gets to high school and doesn't know fundamentals, that isn't because they are not combined with other schools. It is because they haven't had those skills taught, or stressed, during their Jr. High days. That falls back to having teachers coach for the little bit of extra money they get as a coach. The system does not generally hire coaches that can teach in Jr. High, they hire teachers that can coach. Not that that is a bad priority, but just because someone played high school football doesn't mean they will be a good coach either. Considering what teachers and coaches make in this area, it is little wonder that some of them put so little effort into coaching. But I do not see the county coming up with money to pay a coach just to do a combined team. In their defense, the current coaches need what little supplement they are getting to assist with a living. Now, how much coaching supplement is it going to take to get a coach to run a year round program for these kids? And even more importantly, how many of these 12-14 year old kids are going to go to a structured work out program 4-5 days a week year round? I think workouts are great, and I think they are needed. But those 7th and 8th grade kids have much on their plates at that age, and I think the dedication would be lacking. Now, another thing to look at, is size of the players. I look at the difference in size of the OC players as compared to any of our opponents and the OC kids just aren't as big. And that's not from weights, thats from natural growth. Maybe we need to change what we are feeding our kids because they ain't as big. I grant you the weights would help, but we are still undersized. Ponder this though, we have allowed very few sacks this year. We have a good QB with good receivers. So we have a strong and efficient line with a good skill position group. We have a good defensive coach (I am told, as I do not know him), but we keep getting killed by the rushing game. Perhaps, we need to find the best players and put them on the field regardless of whether we are on offense or defense. If you take 11 good athletes and make them offense, then as a player I don't have to be as good as those 11 to make the defense.

We want to step up and run our program as advanced as possible. You won't find anyone who wants the Rebel programs to succeed any more than I do. I am REBEL to the bone. But as I asked earlier, should we combine all sports teams? Should we dedicate all resources to football and forget the other sports? What limits do we establish?

Now, for a sore spot. How many of the Jr. High coaches are actively involved with the high school program? How many of them should be? ALL OF THEM! I know Lance Gray installed the Veer at Ridgemont to better prepare his kids for OCCHS. And had there not been a coaching change, I'm sure that would have paid great dividends just as what you descibe has happened with Ridgemont running the spread now. But I am also a firm believer that you need as many kids as possible playing at the Jr. High level to have a larger pool at the high school level. I feel the jr. high coaches could be more involved with the high school program, and feel as though they are preparing these kids for what is to come. But they don't have to be combined for this to happen.

Now, to play devil's advocate. What is the purpose of jr. high sports programs? Is it to insure the high school has a good team, or is it to teach teamwork, dedication, physical fitness, sportmanship, etc? These are some of the points that have to be addressed to convert the mommies and daddies to see a different point of view. I am still not convinced that combining isn't the good route, but I'm not convinced that it is yet either.

With the junior high basketball you generally have five 8th graders starting, don't know much about softball, but with football you are having to bring in 6th graders to make the numbers. Like I said before the team with the most 8th graders usually wins. How do they get better playing eachother? Where is the teamwork and sportsmanship in fighting and bickering with on another, and carrying that on into there freshman year? Unity and consistency is what I would rather see. As for supplements the high school coaches worked out the Jr high kids 3 days a week all summer long, boys, girls. To my knowledge they didn't make any extra for that.

Ok, let me touch on part of your argument. Do we really believe that if we combine them at say the 7th grade, that this will make a drastic improvement in the high school team? I don't know about the arguing and bickering as freshmen. My son's group was highly competetive and downright cocky. The whole team was and yet there was no arguing or bickering with the other teams, especially once they got to OC. I think if any aspect of sports is combined that all of them would have to be. Any time there are several schools feeding a program, there is a certain degree of individuality, school pride and spirit. I'm not saying that wouldn't exist with a combined team, just that the combined team wouldn't be as many kids. If I honestly thought that a combined jr. high team would place a more competetive and consistent high school team on the field, without a drastic decrease in participants, I would be all for it. I want what is best for the program 2nd only to what is best for the kids. Now I have no doubt that a combined Jr. High team would be competetive at their level, but you are still getting the same kids when they get to high school. Again, I think it would be great to have a middle school, but with 4 county schools instead,I'm afraid that I am not yet convinced.

Ok, let me touch on part of your argument. Do we really believe that if we combine them at say the 7th grade, that this will make a drastic improvement in the high school team? I don't know about the arguing and bickering as freshmen. My son's group was highly competetive and downright cocky. The whole team was and yet there was no arguing or bickering with the other teams, especially once they got to OC. I think if any aspect of sports is combined that all of them would have to be. Any time there are several schools feeding a program, there is a certain degree of individuality, school pride and spirit. I'm not saying that wouldn't exist with a combined team, just that the combined team wouldn't be as many kids. If I honestly thought that a combined jr. high team would place a more competetive and consistent high school team on the field, without a drastic decrease in participants, I would be all for it. I want what is best for the program 2nd only to what is best for the kids. Now I have no doubt that a combined Jr. High team would be competetive at their level, but you are still getting the same kids when they get to high school. Again, I think it would be great to have a middle school, but with 4 county schools instead,I'm afraid that I am not yet convinced.

Yeah but just think about the group our kids at Ridgemont would have been playing with when we won the Rebel Bowl if there had been a combined middle school...Think about all those good players at Lake Road...Hillcrest had some good players and were huge...Black Oak had a couple good players...That bunch would have been a load to handle...You could have probably even two platooned that group...

You would have to think that a combined OC junior high could get into the district that Union City, Humboldt, Northview, Three Oaks, Lake County, Halls and whoever else is in it...

As an outsider and know folks who have kids on all four county Jr teams and the OCHS team, it has been told to me that one problem is the following....do you agree or disagree...

Take this...every kid who goes to each of the county schools have friends at that school..not many at the other schools. Then their parent become friends because community baseball programs like Woodland Mills, Troy, Hornbeak etc. Now all of the kids play all of these sports together all year. Then they all come together at one big school like occhs. Their parents come also. Ok, when little Johnny was a great player at lets just say Lake Road...he now comes to occhs and is with other star players and little johnny has to sit because someone else plays...problems start. Then with groups of parents that hang with each other and their kids...from the same schools, it just seems to me the chemistry would take a while to build. Am I wrong ? I know that right off the bat that kids coming straight in from all of the schools have to learn to become friends...right? They have played against each other for 8 years in something.

This may not make since but it would be NO different than if all of the kids from Lake Road came to Union City, it would take a while to learn trust, new friends, learn the new system, etc..... I just think that one, the City schools on sports...any city has up against any county that has ( 4 ) Jr. High Programs going into one. OCCHS is one of the only schools that I know anywhere that has ( 4 ) Jr. High's feeding into one high school. Union City has one elemtary/Jr. High that feeds the high school. Our Jr, High runs the same offense type thing that our high school runs. They are ready coming in as Freshmen and can start. Just a though. Good Luck. Unitl everyone is on the same page...you will have trouble getting things together in my opinion and that is my opinion only. It seems in the county that every community has some type of deal that their programs were better and the feeling always stay that way.

The schools that OCCHS competes against each year in their region doesn't have that problem....Ripley, Dyersburg, Crocket County, Westview, Gibson Co. Covington. Year in and year out, I really think it hurts the Football more so than Basketball or baseball, why I do not know.. Basketball has proven that it has been able to win and move well into the playoff system...even winning a Basketball Gold Ball in 1986....football on the other hand has had a more difficult time....

Edited by UCGRAD

Yeah but just think about the group our kids at Ridgemont would have been playing with when we won the Rebel Bowl if there had been a combined middle school...Think about all those good players at Lake Road...Hillcrest had some good players and were huge...Black Oak had a couple good players...That bunch would have been a load to handle...You could have probably even two platooned that group...

You would have to think that a combined OC junior high could get into the district that Union City, Humboldt, Northview, Three Oaks, Lake County, Halls and whoever else is in it...

I agree that would have made for a very formiddable team. The jr. highs were full of talent that year. And if these kids were attending a middle school, it would be great. But the fact that they are spread out in 4 different locations, I just don't think it would ever work with the possible exception of combining all the sports from the jr. highs. I read the comments of others talking about building chemistry and the bickering of parents when the kids move to the next level. The kids would still be competing against each other in other sports so the internal competition would remain. Parents are still going to bicker about whose kid gets to play more. I agree that the more time the kids play together, learning one system as a team, can only be to their advantage. I still think you would lose some potential players because of the lack of convenience for practice on the parents part and from kids that have not developed at the rate of others. IMO I don't think the OC numbers would grow from that scenario. If there was a middle school, this would be so easy. But as long as the kids are split at 4 locations, I just have deep doubts that the change would be effective. I would like to see it implemented on a trial basis. Sometimes you just have to pull up your big girl panties and try something new, regardless of what parents get ticked. IMO, they did that when they put in the new dress code. Why should this be different? Obama did it with healthcare! LOL I do have to say though that the school board members should vote the way their district represented wants. If not, someone else will.

I would have loved to combined our kids with the other schools that year and see what potential they had. Our kids could have competed with anyone as it was, but to add the cream of each team together would have been awesome to see. However, I'm not sure it would have changed what kids are still playing, or how much better they would be for it. I am still riding the fence looking for a definite advantage to pursue either route. I am not ready to just jump on board because with some and say that it would change the future of Rebel football. Not yet!

Our kids put in MUCH hard work prior to Jr. high to get where they were. I wish I had a buck for every eye opener they ran as youth league players. I still remember one mother in particular sitting on top of the hill flashing her headlights at the football field. Each time she did I would add another round! lol Those were great kids and great parents, and definitely great days for me. I wish they were running those drills at the high school level.