Obion Central (2-3 0-1) @ Covington(3-3 1-1)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough loss for the Rebels and really tough when it comes to the emotional side. Most had the Rebels picked but sounds like they couldn't stop Williams from Covington. The Rebels out gained the Chargers by a few on total yards. The Chargers win 35 - 30.

Now the Rebels have a more interesting situation, IF Dyersburg beats the Rebels, the playoff hope are a wash. The new playoff systems will make sure of that. Dyersburg "SHOCKED" Crocket Co. tonight and now puts the Rebels in a MUST wins situation.

Rebels now 0 - 2 in district play, still have Dyersburg and Westview facing them, teams that have been there and won the important district games so far this year, where the Rebels have not. The Rebels should have a win over Gibson Co. and maybe Ripley ( not for sure ) but the Dyersburg game, which most thought should and would be a win now becomes 50-50 chance. Then powerhouse Westview. Covington now 2 - 1 in district play where the Rebels are 0 - 2 . The rebels are still allowing to many points to be score to beat the better teams. You have to stop the other team at some point, which really the Rebls have stopped Union City one half and Fulton Co. one half. That's it....

The Rebels can still pull this out but coach jackson has some serious coaching to do now.

I will say this and you can agree or disagree...the "by" week after the U C win and before playing Covington HURT the Rebels. The Rebels needed a win against U C and got that and would have been much better off being able to play the following week agaist anyone but it doesn't and didn't work out that way.

One thing...Union City and Centrals losses have both come by few points and most of the time, the stats shows a win by both clubs. Very strange.

Play hard..NEVER give up, you never know what might happen. Just look at what Dyersburg did tonight against Crocket Co.

Edited by UCGRAD

UCGRAD you're exactly right in saying they couldn't stop Carlos Williams. He literally beat OC by himself. Covington ran the same play the whole second half and they never stopped it. The defense is absolutely atrocious! I don't know if they spend too much time working on the offense or what but something has got to change and now. At this rate the Rebel offense will have to score on every possesion of every game for the remainder of the season to win.

What gets me is you essentially have two weeks to prepare for Covington and you come out on defense like you have never seen them on film...

Someone said earlier this year that maybe the coaches needed to look at utilizing some of the athletes they have on the offensive side of the ball on defense...I defended the coaches back then by saying they were the ones that were at practice and surely they wouldn't go into a gun fight with plastic forks...Well,it ain't workin' on the defensive side of the ball...We don't have enough football players on that side of the ball...We are down to the point now that we can't lose another game....We are not getting in at 5-5, I don't believe...I'll say something else..The definition of insane is doing the something wrong over and over again...I have noticed that it seems like there are a couple players that the defensive staff is chewing out on the sidelines every game...Looks to me like after 6 games it's possible they just ain't gonna get it, you know ??...Might wanna get somebody else in there...

Now, to the offensive side of the ball...Football is a team sport...You can't win if both units don't work together...It's real tough to ask one unit to stop teams every single time they go on the field...It's impossible...By the same token,it's equally a difficult thing to ask the offense to score every time they go out on the field....

To the Rebel defenses credit they did make two stops, not counting when Covington was just trying to run the clock out at the end of the game...They did actually have to punt twice...What did the Rebels do both times ??...They turned the ball over by throwing interceptions....One time trying to be a little cute with a halfback pass..The receiver was open for an instant and Trey would have probably hit him but LaDevin is a running back and he under threw the intended receiver...The Rebels offense from 10 yards in is laughable..It really is..Tonight the Rebs had a drive end inside the Charger 5 yard line by way of a fumble and then ended the game on the Charger 6 on downs...

The big thing to keep in mind, you have to, is that the season is still salvageable..You probably are not going to host a playoff game..Probably going to have to go to Memphis again...Not an ideal situation but it would be another winning season and a playoff berth...You have to keep your heads up and play hard...Don't give up...

rebfan...You are right about the defense....This defense is horrendous....They have stopped 1 team for a half this whole year....It's beginning to get ridiculous.....We'll get 1st and 25 and I know whoever they are playing will get the first down easily....They need to fix something quick or I only see 1 more win this season....This team is ALOT better than they are showing right now....Next up Dyersburg....They won't be easy....The defense HAS to step up or these guys will be sitting at home Week 11....Let's go Rebels!!

Did any of you listen to the WENK AM Countdown to Kickoff with Robin and Mike....? Well, Coach Jackson said himself on that show..that I did hear myself. "Well, I'm really proud of our DEFENSE" ! In practice, we have a contest and at the beginning of the season, my offense was controlling the defense and now the defense has started to stop and slow down our offense. He went on to say....Coach Jackson. He said that the two weeks allowed his defense to mature....?

Folks...back when I was in schoool 100 yrs ago..there was NO such thing as a off week...shouldn't be. It hurts tons of team ...example of O C after the U C win. Don't you agree but that was in place with nothing to happen there. Just my thought.

Taking of for the Rebel team, they shot themselves if the foot many times. A score here or there on one of the fumbles and the game is diferent. Either way, something has to change and we and everyone else who follow and care about sports have been saying the same thing about the Rebel football program. Is practice a proble? I hear on here some say they practice in shorts. Did coach or has coach Jackson remarks after the Cape game still in the back of the players minds....about being able to stay on the field with some teams.

I don't know but these kids deserve a great season at some point. Winning against the U C 's and Fulton Co. and even LAKE COUNTY in a scrimage...doesn't get it.

rebfan...You are right about the defense....This defense is horrendous....They have stopped 1 team for a half this whole year....It's beginning to get ridiculous.....We'll get 1st and 25 and I know whoever they are playing will get the first down easily....They need to fix something quick or I only see 1 more win this season....This team is ALOT better than they are showing right now....Next up Dyersburg....They won't be easy....The defense HAS to step up or these guys will be sitting at home Week 11....Let's go Rebels!!

If I was an opposing coach and got tape on the Rebels game against Covington, I would run that off tackle play every time because we cannot stop it. It was eerily similar to the Sikeston game. You could almost excuse that one because Sikeston had three really good backs. Last night they let ONE player beat them. Granted he's a really good player, but we made him look like an All-American. He had 265 yards on the ground and would've had 150 more if not for some of the runs being called back on penalties. That's over 400 yards by himself! Unacceptable!