Joining Seqouyah league and SETAC juniors 5-AA

logcabinman

Man this idea has been kicked around alot, what it comes down to (like someone stated earlier) alot of pride will have to be swallowed. Here in Chief land, a former high school coach tried to unite the two junior programs for a Middle School team, one city accepted the idea, one city did not. Some coaches look at it like "hey I'm getting two groups of kids, who have alot of playing time in the youth league". Some coaches (aka Midway High School Coach Moser) believes " his middle school team should not come play in the Sequoyah conference because they would playing teams, 2a thru 6a, when they are a single A team", also he's thinking winning is creates more winning and losing will create more losing for high schools. What it comes down to is that someone will either have to start a new league, which will hurt youth leagues unless they change their age brackets, or high school coaches get involve and start a middle school team, no matter what anybody thinks. If coaches would do this I beleive the kids would come to play, no matter what city they are from (McMinn Central middle school kids would have to practice at the high school, so would Sequoyah, McMinn and any other high schools who pull from different schools). Each youth league have rules in place to keep kids from playing in two different leagues. I would love for middle school teams to crank up around here, if they ever want to be like the Alcoa's, Maryville's. Just my opinion folks.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man this idea has been kicked around alot, what it comes down to (like someone stated earlier) alot of pride will have to be swallowed. Here in Chief land, a former high school coach tried to unite the two junior programs for a Middle School team, one city accepted the idea, one city did not. Some coaches look at it like "hey I'm getting two groups of kids, who have alot of playing time in the youth league". Some coaches (aka Midway High School Coach Moser) believes " his middle school team should not come play in the Sequoyah conference because they would playing teams, 2a thru 6a, when they are a single A team", also he's thinking winning is creates more winning and losing will create more losing for high schools. What it comes down to is that someone will either have to start a new league, which will hurt youth leagues unless they change their age brackets, or high school coaches get involve and start a middle school team, no matter what anybody thinks. If coaches would do this I beleive the kids would come to play, no matter what city they are from (McMinn Central middle school kids would have to practice at the high school, so would Sequoyah, McMinn and any other high schools who pull from different schools). Each youth league have rules in place to keep kids from playing in two different leagues. I would love for middle school teams to crank up around here, if they ever want to be like the Alcoa's, Maryville's. Just my opinion folks.

I think if all the High School coaches get together for this it will work. The kids serious abot playing will want to play in it.

I was involved in a similar situation back in 2004 but just in a different sport. We started a Middle school baseball team at Madisonville. The first year we tried to combine Vonore and Madisonville to make Sequoyah but it did not work out. Madisonville just had their own team and our numbers were low the first year. We took a beating, playing other established Middle school teams. The first year everyone said you can not make this work because it will kill the little league program. The first year the little league people told Kids they had to choose between middle school and little league. It hurt our numbers that first year, but the second year all the players wanted to be involved. I firmly believe that the Middle school program has helped sequoyah improve in baseball over the past few years and it will continue to feed the high school team. I don't know if you will ever get all the towns to agree but I would encourage everyone to step out on a limb and start a Middle School team. Once it gets started everyone will follow! The only thing that will be hard is the money. I don't think the monroe county school board will help with the money. They did not give us anything in baseball. We had to raise all the money. Don't let money stop you! There are always way to find money for good causes. Someone please step out to help our kids become competitive with other towns!

Edited by bigclittleh

I do not understand why a new league would need to be started? This change would only come at the junior level. The other two leagues would still have the grasscutters, hoppers (Pee-wee's), and cutters (midits). The Seqyoyah conference and SETAC could both stay in tact because the juniors would play on Thursday nights and the younger kids on Saturday. Let's face it, the older the kids become the numbers go down. This seems to give the best of both worlds, Englewood, Etowah, Vonore, and Madisonville keep their community football - then it gives the kids something to look forward to, a change if you will. I do realize that this would take much cooperation, which would be hard to accomplish.

I think this is a great idea! The only problem is, there are too many stubborn people that run the area programs that don't want change. They are not thinking about the kids or the high school,just their own league or team. In order for our district to become stronger, this would need to happen at central, sequoyah, and mcminn and then all the other teams would have to jump on board too. It is a start but it might take a few years to come about. Again, great idea!

I think this is a great idea! The only problem is, there are too many stubborn people that run the area programs that don't want change. They are not thinking about the kids or the high school,just their own league or team. In order for our district to become stronger, this would need to happen at central, sequoyah, and mcminn and then all the other teams would have to jump on board too. It is a start but it might take a few years to come about. Again, great idea!

It seems that people on Englewood-Etowah side might be willing to talk about this, I have heard that Vonore-Madisonville would not be as willing. I have no clue on this, just the word out there.

This idea of getting the towns together has been done between Vonore-Madisonville, one side simply would not give in, in a situation like this, the head coach at the high school would just simply start a middle school program, no matter what anybody thinks, he would play in the league for middle school teams (TMSSAA, i think), it would hurt the junior program, yes a bit, but this happened to Lenoir City a couple of years ago, they still manage to put a juniors team on the field every year, but Vonore being a smaller town would really struggle to field a team at all, not sure but does anybody know if LC won the middle school championship last year?

This idea of getting the towns together has been done between Vonore-Madisonville, one side simply would not give in, in a situation like this, the head coach at the high school would just simply start a middle school program, no matter what anybody thinks, he would play in the league for middle school teams (TMSSAA, i think), it would hurt the junior program, yes a bit, but this happened to Lenoir City a couple of years ago, they still manage to put a juniors team on the field every year, but Vonore being a smaller town would really struggle to field a team at all, not sure but does anybody know if LC won the middle school championship last year?

With this set up dumdum the junior team would be in place and the three other teams would represent the little league program.