Joining Seqouyah league and SETAC juniors 5-AA

logcabinman

We have had a discussion on joining the leagues at the junior level between these two football leagues.

What if Vonore and Madisonville juniors joined to create Seq., Etowah and Englewood - Central, Meigs, Polk, Tellico, Rogers Creek-Athens-Riceville for McMinn, and if they wanted Copper Basin, Lenior City, Loudon, Greenback, and Midway could continue to play with this league. The games could be played on Thursday nights, high school coaches could be involved- choosing one head coach who could be responsible for choosing his help. The grasscutters, pee-wees, and midgits could continue in their own league play as to not to disturb the seperate leagues.

I think this could improve all of our programs. I would like to hear thoughts on what everyone thinks about this idea.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is a great idea!! This would better prepare the 7th and 8th graders for high school. They would already know the offenses and defenses their high school runs when they get there and be familiar with the coaching staffs. Also, It would be good thursday night football!!

What school do you represent Whistle?

IMO, changes this radical aren't necessary. I do agree that for McMinn Central to be consistently stable, Englewood and Etowah need to find a way to combine their Junior teams.

However,the system in place can work. Look to Polk Co. Coach Davis has little if any involvement in the youth program, yet they are without a doubt the most stable and consistently good program in the district. The Juniors head coach has no son on the team, therefore no personal agenda, and he runs similar a offense and defense as the high school program, using the exact same terminology. If the other district programs would swallow their pride and look to Polk Co. as a model, the entire district would benefit. :thumb:

We have had a discussion on joining the leagues at the junior level between these two football leagues.

What if Vonore and Madisonville juniors joined to create Seq., Etowah and Englewood - Central, Meigs, Polk, Tellico, Rogers Creek-Athens-Riceville for McMinn, and if they wanted Copper Basin, Lenior City, Loudon, Greenback, and Midway could continue to play with this league. The games could be played on Thursday nights, high school coaches could be involved- choosing one head coach who could be responsible for choosing his help. The grasscutters, pee-wees, and midgits could continue in their own league play as to not to disturb the seperate leagues.

I think this could improve all of our programs. I would like to hear thoughts on what everyone thinks about this idea.

Its a great idea, would go along way to help the district be more competative.

IMO, changes this radical aren't necessary. I do agree that for McMinn Central to be consistently stable, Englewood and Etowah need to find a way to combine their Junior teams.

However,the system in place can work. Look to Polk Co. Coach Davis has little if any involvement in the youth program, yet they are without a doubt the most stable and consistently good program in the district. The Juniors head coach has no son on the team, therefore no personal agenda, and he runs similar a offense and defense as the high school program, using the exact same terminology. If the other district programs would swallow their pride and look to Polk Co. as a model, the entire district would benefit. :thumb:

as stable as Polk Co. is, when was the last time they won a playoff game?

This is looking at Polk Co. model. I am not saying the coaches are over this, just involved. I do not think it is radical either. This might help kids play that normally would not.

If you do not have a middle school program, then you must come together to run the same schemes as the HS, if you want the kids-teams to be productive at the next level.

Look at proven teams Alcoa, Maryville, Cleveland, Jeff Co. They have different schools but they are doing what needs to be done so they are more efficient at HS levels.

Edited by PUMMELKING

who did they play? I guess I am so used to our district getting beat in the first round. :shock:

Kingston. I realize Polk is not a power by any means on the State Championship scene. However there is no denying they have had the best program in this district over the past decade.

And logcabinman, I agree that your plan would be ideal. I just can't see that many people agreeing to all those changes (hence the word radical).