Alcoa @ OS

kingbrian3

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a huge mistake if the teams did not play this game. COncessions, revunue, attmosphere, and competitive nature is making this game more special. I would be the house when this series was resumed that eithe school would have thought both games would have matched the intensity and attnetion it has drawn. No offense to Rockwood or Harriman, but OS/Kingston game has become the hot ticket in Roane County not only because of the caliber of players on the field, but the fans, atmosphere, and attention...

OS/Alcoa score prediciton

if it continues to be windy outiside then ALcoa is in big trouble with the passing game and COllett could pick off 2-3 passes tonight if Alcoa throws at him.

New Prediction: OS 27 Alcoa 0

OS comes out fired up and dismisses any thoughts of a let down and sets up a HUGE matchup with Sweetwater for the region championship later in the season.

I am happy if that is accurate that Seymour is back on the schedule. I think the Cats can start winning te game in this series.

Just curious if anyone knows... Why is OS playing Midway instead of Coalfield. Gate receipts would double a Midway/OS game and the attention and anticapation would not nearly be the same. any thoughts?

First if the ref for the Kingston/OS game is who I think your talking about as to having 2 sons who played and one getting a big reputation then I don't blame him for the game at all. I know him and he is fair no matter who he's officiating. I like him and his one son that I know but It still shouldn't be allowed and I doubt he would have ever tryed to cheat OS but with that aside quick question to everyone.....

We someone made the commit about OS being able to beat Seymour now... Do you think that's because Seymour isn't as good or OS is better now. I know it as a fact that OS was best when They had Eric Miller and Jeremy bean and of course the great offense of line. But I think that today we do have a more consistent team and I wish johnson would keep coaching for a while longer to improve his over all record although he doesn't think about that he still need to go out with a good career record because he deserves it for doing as well as he has with what he has had. but I think that first team I mentioned and also the year after was probably their best years but competition was better then. What does everyone else think is OS program on a rise or are other teams on a down fall just a little bit??

A great question to ask/debate about the ascent of Bobcat football over the last 10-12 years. Frank Johnson's staff has elevated expectations. Johnsons first team went 2-8 in OS's first year back in AA in 89. Previously in the 80's OS was on the losing end of numerous games 56-0, 42-7, 28-0, 49-0 to Harriman, Kingston, LC, Holston, Rockwood, AC to name a few. In Johnson's 2nd season in 90, OS blew out a Harriman team that made playoffs year before, Loudon, and beat Rockwood on a last minute dramatic win at OS to knock the Tigers out of the playoffs. That season was the first time OS lined up against good solid AA opponents and won. Year after Year, OS would come close to winning some big games over some very good teams such as Jermaine Copeland's Harriman team in 92 that knocked OS out of playoffs on a herioc effort with a 80 yard pass to end the game and put the Bobcats in playoffs. It wasnt until OS defeated Alcoa and Chad Pennington Webb team in 94 and finished 4th in region behingd the LB play Matt Green and Rocky Lowery's slashing runing game. From that season, OS has been competitive every year and played a part of some huge games.

I think OS is the only team that will have beaten ALcoa after tonight 4 times( out of 8)since the inception of 5 classifications.

Knowing the above, the question at hand is has OS improved or teams declined or a combination of both. Yes, Region 2AA was spoiled when Chad Pennington, Jermaine Copeland, the GREAT Alcoa teams, the VERY good Oneida team, Sweetwater Championship team, Matt Huskey's Webb Champioinship team, OR Austin East and Loudon in the region. Taking this into consideration, it logical to think the teams of today dont stack up. I do think OS doesnt have the big star player and plays team offense and defense and that makes it easy to quesiton the value of this team.

Sure, the Kingston team that OS has played the last 2 years wasnt the Maurice Hamilton, Scott Guin, Kevin Mays Kingsotn teams of old, but they were 4-0 teams boht years and OS outplayed them in both games. I dont think anyone can rmemeber the last time an OS team lined up for tow straight years and phycially wore down the Jackets. ALso, Smith County and Boyd Buchanon along with Sweetwater could give any of the old great region teams any run for their money.

Sometimes it takes a coach 10 plus years to get their program to adjust to level of competition when it has no football tradition or success as was the case for OS. OS football is here to stay. Coach Johnson has an amazing staff and the Bobcat faithful/fans shoudl be more appreciative for the loyalty and dedicaiton he has shown. ALso, Terry Hacker, OS prinicipal is another reason why OS athletics has flourished with his "can DO'menatility that all OS sports displays. Not many schools can say in the last 6 years they have had teams in 3rd round of playoffs in football, spring fling in baseball, boys and girls basketball team in MBoro.

Posted by OS91:

A great question to ask/debate about the ascent of Bobcat football over the last 10-12 years. Frank Johnson's staff has elevated expectations. Johnsons first team went 2-8 in OS's first year back in AA in 89. Previously in the 80's OS was on the losing end of numerous games 56-0, 42-7, 28-0, 49-0 to Harriman, Kingston, LC, Holston, Rockwood, AC to name a few. In Johnson's 2nd season in 90, OS blew out a Harriman team that made playoffs year before, Loudon, and beat Rockwood on a last minute dramatic win at OS to knock the Tigers out of the playoffs. That season was the first time OS lined up against good solid AA opponents and won. Year after Year, OS would come close to winning some big games over some very good teams such as Jermaine Copeland's Harriman team in 92 that knocked OS out of playoffs on a herioc effort with a 80 yard pass to end the game and put the Bobcats in playoffs. It wasnt until OS defeated Alcoa and Chad Pennington Webb team in 94 and finished 4th in region behingd the LB play Matt Green and Rocky Lowery's slashing runing game. From that season, OS has been competitive every year and played a part of some huge games.

I think OS is the only team that will have beaten ALcoa after tonight 4 times( out of 8)since the inception of 5 classifications.

Knowing the above, the question at hand is has OS improved or teams declined or a combination of both. Yes, Region 2AA was spoiled when Chad Pennington, Jermaine Copeland, the GREAT Alcoa teams, the VERY good Oneida team, Sweetwater Championship team, Matt Huskey's Webb Champioinship team, OR Austin East and Loudon in the region. Taking this into consideration, it logical to think the teams of today dont stack up. I do think OS doesnt have the big star player and plays team offense and defense and that makes it easy to quesiton the value of this team.

Sure, the Kingston team that OS has played the last 2 years wasnt the Maurice Hamilton, Scott Guin, Kevin Mays Kingsotn teams of old, but they were 4-0 teams boht years and OS outplayed them in both games. I dont think anyone can rmemeber the last time an OS team lined up for tow straight years and phycially wore down the Jackets. ALso, Smith County and Boyd Buchanon along with Sweetwater could give any of the old great region teams any run for their money.

Sometimes it takes a coach 10 plus years to get their program to adjust to level of competition when it has no football tradition or success as was the case for OS. OS football is here to stay. Coach Johnson has an amazing staff and the Bobcat faithful/fans shoudl be more appreciative for the loyalty and dedicaiton he has shown. ALso, Terry Hacker, OS prinicipal is another reason why OS athletics has flourished with his "can DO'menatility that all OS sports displays. Not many schools can say in the last 6 years they have had teams in 3rd round of playoffs in football, spring fling in baseball, boys and girls basketball team in MBoro.

Good post, OS91. A good mark for you.

I didn't realize Johnson had been there anywhere near that long. He'd be 2nd to King in Roane or Morgan as far as time served, wouldn't he?

Posted by OS91:

It would be a huge mistake if the teams did not play this game. COncessions, revunue, attmosphere, and competitive nature is making this game more special. I would be the house when this series was resumed that eithe school would have thought both games would have matched the intensity and attnetion it has drawn. No offense to Rockwood or Harriman, but OS/Kingston game has become the hot ticket in Roane County not only because of the caliber of players on the field, but the fans, atmosphere, and attention...

OS/Alcoa score prediciton

if it continues to be windy outiside then ALcoa is in big trouble with the passing game and COllett could pick off 2-3 passes tonight if Alcoa throws at him.

New Prediction: OS 27 Alcoa 0

OS comes out fired up and dismisses any thoughts of a let down and sets up a HUGE matchup with Sweetwater for the region championship later in the season.

I hope the game is picked up. It is a great atmosphere. It's really a better atmosphere than Harriman or Rockwood, as far as I am concerned. I think if we can go for 9 years without playing this one, we could drop one of the others for a time. I'd like to be able to play some of our rivalry games that we've had to drop because of being in an 8-team region, particularly Sweetwater and Tyner. Games between great teams make both teams better, IMO.