District 6A

mjca00

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with a week to go I think it's a good time to revisit the district and predict how things will finish. It's looking like we all sold Van Buren short and barring something disastrous they should finish at the top heading into the tournament. As for POY I'd go with Walling from Van Buren. My predictions for how they finish heading into the tournament is:

Van Buren

Lookout Valley

Signal Mountain

South Pittsburg

Sale Creek

Whitwell

Marion

Richard Hardy Memorial

Yeah I believe we all sold Van Buren a little short in this district. They have 4 exceptionally good players, 3 that went unnoticed last season by my judgment. And a strong bench that goes atleast 8 deep. I saw the Whitwell game and wow. #30 went crazy. He had close to 30.. Didn't miss. Another one I saw was VB at Sale Creek. The other guard #44 had atleast 5 three pointers before halftime. That kid had one of the greatest shooting forms i've seen at the high school level. He could easily get POY, and if he shoots like that continuing into regions and sub state they could make some noise in the state tournament.

As for player of the year i'd go with either #30 or #44 from VB, #30 or #3 from Lookout Valley, just depends on how the district tournament is played.

Did anyone get to see Van Buren vs Marion? Wow. Of all teams that would knock VB off their undefeated record I NEVER would have expected it to be Marion. What happened to VB in this game?

Edited by TheShow1

I have watched all three top teams in this district play this year at least three times and some more. My POY vote would go to #44 from Van Buren. Other mentions from this team would be #30, he runs a close second to #44, but #44 is consistant. I don't think he is POY material but the other dominating factor for them is a #55, he plays solid and consistant just not flashy. For LV without a doubt either #3 or #30 would get votes. But when the day is done there is a reason VB has come out of nowhere this year.....will be disappointed if #44 doesn't get the honors this year.

Van Buren has defitintly suprised some of ya'll this year. They are pretty well balanced, with 3 legitimate scorers and some decent roll players. But come district tournament, the lack of seniors (only 1 on the team) and size could cost them in a pressure packed game. But if the 3's are falling, they might bring the title to the mountain. Good luck to all the rest of the way.

[The refs were calling for Marion County thats what happened to Van Buren!!!!!quote name=TheShow1' timestamp='1297054168' post='2617423]

Yeah I believe we all sold Van Buren a little short in this district. They have 4 exceptionally good players, 3 that went unnoticed last season by my judgment. And a strong bench that goes atleast 8 deep. I saw the Whitwell game and wow. #30 went crazy. He had close to 30.. Didn't miss. Another one I saw was VB at Sale Creek. The other guard #44 had atleast 5 three pointers before halftime. That kid had one of the greatest shooting forms i've seen at the high school level. He could easily get POY, and if he shoots like that continuing into regions and sub state they could make some noise in the state tournament.

As for player of the year i'd go with either #30 or #44 from VB, #30 or #3 from Lookout Valley, just depends on how the district tournament is played.

Did anyone get to see Van Buren vs Marion? Wow. Of all teams that would knock VB off their undefeated record I NEVER would have expected it to be Marion. What happened to VB in this game?

Wow. The District 6A tournament is shaping up to be a wild and wooly shoot-out. Although Van Buren has a nearly perfect regular season district record, I don't think anyone is safe at this point. It's really going to come down to who gets the best paring when the final seeds are set. I'm not sure but I think the current standings look like this:

1. Van Buren - Clinched

2. Lookout Valley - Clinched

3. Signal Mtn.

4. Sale Creek

5. South Pitt

5. Whitwell

5. Marion

8. Richard Hardy - Clinched

From what I've been told, the tournament bracket looks like this:

Wednesday Feb 16th, girls 5 v 8, 6 v 7, at higher seed

Thursday Feb 17th, boys 5 vs 8, 6 v 7, at higher seed

Friday Feb 18th, 5/8 winner v 4, at Whitwell, (girls and boys)

Friday Feb 18th, 7/6 winner v 3, at Whitwell, (girls and boys)

Saturday Feb 19th, 1 v 4/5/8 winner, at Whitwell, (girls and boys)

Saturday Feb 19th, 2 v 3/6/7 winner, at Whitwell, (girls and boys)

Monday Feb 21st, girls consolation and championship at Whitwell

Tuesday Feb 22nd, boys consolation and championship at Whitwell

Went to watch what was thought to be a good district matchup....thought SM would get VB second time around at SM. I tell you what VB was impressive at times. They were up by as many as 20 points when the starters were in. I wasn't as impressed with the bench tonight as the 2 previous games I had watched them. I am telling you they have three very solid players, kids that done't need to come off the floor except for short breaks, especially down the stretch.

As for SM I have seen them play four times this year, they had some fight in them but it wasn't a team effort to want to get back in the game. They just didn't have an answer for VB. They would get stops on their outside shooters and then the work horse #55 for VB would hit, then they would shut down the inside game and the next time down 30 or 44 would drop a three or slash inside and past the defenders. If SM is going to compete in the District tourney they are going to have to come with more intensity.

After seeing this match up I don't believe SM will be the ones to give CSAS a run for their money it will be VB, if they play like they did last night. (All cylinders were firing).

1. Van Buren - Clinched

2. Lookout Valley - Clinched

3. Signal Mtn.

4. Sale Creek

5. South Pitt

5. Whitwell

5. Marion

8. Richard Hardy - Clinched

Does anyone know how many games South Pitt, Marion and Whitwell have remaining? As of now, I think the top 4 and #8 spots are nail shut and everything depends on what happens by next Tuesday. Several scores were not reported in the paper so some of these schools may be finished and I just don't know it. Any help would be good.

After seeing this match up I don't believe SM will be the ones to give CSAS a run for their money it will be VB, if they play like they did last night. (All cylinders were firing).

I was at the Signal/Van Buren game and saw it pretty much as you did. Signal just didn't seem to have the "team effort" that you'd expect a top contending team to have. Van Buren will likely win the Championship and will have the best shot at knocking off CSAS. Lookout Valley is so sporadic. They look good against some teams but have been swept by South Pitt. I don't think they are disciplined enough to beat CSAS or even Grace.

The 6A Tourney is gonna be fun to watch. I just hate having to cross that mountain every night to see it!