Wilson Central @ Portland

fbfan1976

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on the win, however I hardly consider it a "turning the corner" moment and would be surprised if there isn't an opening in Portland. Right or wrong, that's the track record.

As far as the single wing goes, the game I saw had resemblences of a single wing, but was more of a "direct snap" and run the ball. Perhaps the alignment was that of the single wing, but there was no spin series, misdirection or unbalanced line (as far as I recall). They may have changed that afterwords, but what I saw was not the single wing, rather a direct snap to the best athlete (something to be said for that as well).

In regards to athletes, I saw a few on that team. Is it enough to compete week after week with Gallatin, Hendersonville, MJ and Beech? No, but what about the other 5 teams that beat them? There is no reason they are a one win team. We are talking about one win (over WC) as if all the problems are resolved. That's not the case. I hope for the kids that it gets better next year. It will take a lot of work to overcome 1-19 and the biggest problem will be the same one they faced this year, belief. It's not all coaching. It's not all athletes. It's a sum of the parts and it starts with having fun and believing in their TEAM.

Again, congrats and good luck in restoring a great tradition.

my friend, i am not questioning you football knowledge (direct snap is single wing) but if you were at that game last night... you should have witnessed straight up true single wing football. you would have seen a striaght power series, at least one drive with half spin series. last night they ran the ultimate in single wing when they ran the buck lateral series. (i am sure you know that is when the center direct snaps it to the fb who then fakes wedge to hand the ball to the blocking back, who then pitches the ball back to the tb on a sweep.) the two previous weeks you would have saw the full spin as you mentioned, but good coaching is keeping your gameplan different from week to week but i am sure you would know that. unbalanced line would have put all those defensive linemen that outweighed portland by 900 lbs on the line with them... but you probably know that as well. had you talked to any of those kids you would also know that they do believe in what the team is doing. had you listened to them on the radio any of the last 5 weeks you would have heard them talking about how much fun they are having. had you been in the locker room listening to the seniors give speeches you would know that they ARE PORTLAND FOOTBALL.

they have a long way to go... they installed the offense for the last 5 weeks, it was a "coaching" decision that obviously has worked. no one is saying that 1-9 is awesome but no many teams go from 0-10 to 10-0, or even 5-5... as you said it takes a lot of work but changing coaches doesnt help that at all, if anything it is a step back. IMO.

my friend, i am not questioning you football knowledge (direct snap is single wing) but if you were at that game last night... you should have witnessed straight up true single wing football. you would have seen a striaght power series, at least one drive with half spin series. last night they ran the ultimate in single wing when they ran the buck lateral series. (i am sure you know that is when the center direct snaps it to the fb who then fakes wedge to hand the ball to the blocking back, who then pitches the ball back to the tb on a sweep.) the two previous weeks you would have saw the full spin as you mentioned, but good coaching is keeping your gameplan different from week to week but i am sure you would know that. unbalanced line would have put all those defensive linemen that outweighed portland by 900 lbs on the line with them... but you probably know that as well. had you talked to any of those kids you would also know that they do believe in what the team is doing. had you listened to them on the radio any of the last 5 weeks you would have heard them talking about how much fun they are having. had you been in the locker room listening to the seniors give speeches you would know that they ARE PORTLAND FOOTBALL.

they have a long way to go... they installed the offense for the last 5 weeks, it was a "coaching" decision that obviously has worked. no one is saying that 1-9 is awesome but no many teams go from 0-10 to 10-0, or even 5-5... as you said it takes a lot of work but changing coaches doesnt help that at all, if anything it is a step back. IMO.

Congrats to the Panthers. Really liked what Coach Sanders and the coaching staff had to say at the end of the game. Really puts things into prospectice. Great job by those young men. My apologizes for doubting them and the defense. I will eat my crow. Also, congrats to Coach Aric for beating his old team.

To SWO: Great insight on the offense.

To EERS: It is obvious you know more then any of us. Maybe your talents would best be suited for the ranks of the SEC or NFL rather then CoachT. High School coaches can't hold a candle to all your wisdom and knowledge.

Congrats to the Panthers. Really liked what Coach Sanders and the coaching staff had to say at the end of the game. Really puts things into prospectice. Great job by those young men. My apologizes for doubting them and the defense. I will eat my crow. Also, congrats to Coach Aric for beating his old team.

To SWO: Great insight on the offense.

To EERS: It is obvious you know more then any of us. Maybe your talents would best be suited for the ranks of the SEC or NFL rather then CoachT. High School coaches can't hold a candle to all your wisdom and knowledge.

I don't claim to know everything and as I said it was based on what "I" saw. I said they may have changed it and they obviously have. I have never said I thought they should change coaches, only that I believe they will and that I think it will be Aric.

When I saw them play it appeared the staff had lost the team and they were having no fun. I agree, I'm not there so I don't know, I'm only stating my opinion. I wish them the best and hope they succeed. They may be "Portland Football", but its not the tradition rich "Portland Football" is accustomed to.

If 1-9 is success and you are looking at the rest of the season through rose colored glasses and as moral victories, you are only solidifying my thoughts. I would like to see Portland once again be successful and have stated a lot of things will need to be different. Would you disagree with that to?

We will see what happens over the next few weeks, but I would be surprised if there isn't a change. I suppose we will see...

I don't claim to know everything and as I said it was based on what "I" saw. I said they may have changed it and they obviously have. I have never said I thought they should change coaches, only that I believe they will and that I think it will be Aric.

When I saw them play it appeared the staff had lost the team and they were having no fun. I agree, I'm not there so I don't know, I'm only stating my opinion. I wish them the best and hope they succeed. They may be "Portland Football", but its not the tradition rich "Portland Football" is accustomed to.

If 1-9 is success and you are looking at the rest of the season through rose colored glasses and as moral victories, you are only solidifying my thoughts. I would like to see Portland once again be successful and have stated a lot of things will need to be different. Would you disagree with that to?

We will see what happens over the next few weeks, but I would be surprised if there isn't a change. I suppose we will see...

Don't think I would get rid of the big guy. No, I don't like the record, but the kids love him and respect him. If they did I wouldn't be surprised either, but I don't think now is the time. Eers, why do you have so much insight to Aric getting the job? Sounds kind of shady. Why would a coach bring someone in to get replaced by him? Aric ran the defense this year and has been involved in 3 wins compared to Sanders 1 the last 2 years.

i think they did make a change, they brought in a new offensive coordinator in mid season. the offense they were running was awful. they couldnt score nor could they put together any kind of drives. last season they were running a spread type offense and it didnt work for them, i think they have found what they have been looking for in the last 5 weeks. unfortunatly it was too late to do much good becuase they werent going to win against those teams, not with any coach in tennessee or else where.

i agree with eers in that 1-9 is not what portland wants but i agree with the others that it will not happen over one or two seasons. change is going to take time, i would say that they should let the coach stay for another two seasons and then if he is still not cutting it, make the change. i personnaly dont like to see coaches being fired after only a couple of seasons in high school football, i think we need to keep in mind that portland is playing 5a and 6a schools with 3a talent.

Don't think I would get rid of the big guy. No, I don't like the record, but the kids love him and respect him. If they did I wouldn't be surprised either, but I don't think now is the time. Eers, why do you have so much insight to Aric getting the job? Sounds kind of shady. Why would a coach bring someone in to get replaced by him? Aric ran the defense this year and has been involved in 3 wins compared to Sanders 1 the last 2 years.

Again, I didn't say that Aric should replace Sanders, just that it is what I anticipate happening in Portland.

i think they did make a change, they brought in a new offensive coordinator in mid season. the offense they were running was awful. they couldnt score nor could they put together any kind of drives. last season they were running a spread type offense and it didnt work for them, i think they have found what they have been looking for in the last 5 weeks. unfortunatly it was too late to do much good becuase they werent going to win against those teams, not with any coach in tennessee or else where.

i agree with eers in that 1-9 is not what portland wants but i agree with the others that it will not happen over one or two seasons. change is going to take time, i would say that they should let the coach stay for another two seasons and then if he is still not cutting it, make the change. i personnaly dont like to see coaches being fired after only a couple of seasons in high school football, i think we need to keep in mind that portland is playing 5a and 6a schools with 3a talent.

I will agree with part of this post; 1) change does take time and 2) the talent is not that of the top 4 in the district. With that said, you need to see progress and I'm not sure that one win is really progress. The talent may not be the best in the district, however there are a lot of beatable teams on their schedule.

I would say that the number/caliber of coaches that would apply (assuming there is an opening) will be down. This may be because of the level/amount of talent or it may be because coaches want to feel a little security, which I'm not sure you get at Portland.

Again, I didn't say that Aric should replace Sanders, just that it is what I anticipate happening in Portland.

Keep Sanders...not only do the players love him they play hard for him with alot of heart and determination...Those kids never quit or stopped hustling no matter how undersized or overmatched they were all year long...IF the portland community would rally around your head coach and show your support ... things will get better for the panther faitfull...

I will agree with part of this post; 1) change does take time and 2) the talent is not that of the top 4 in the district. With that said, you need to see progress and I'm not sure that one win is really progress. The talent may not be the best in the district, however there are a lot of beatable teams on their schedule.

I would say that the number/caliber of coaches that would apply (assuming there is an opening) will be down. This may be because of the level/amount of talent or it may be because coaches want to feel a little security, which I'm not sure you get at Portland.

well said, IF there is an opening, portland will not get any high caliber or well known coach. those who apply would be rookies or retirees at best.

Keep Sanders...not only do the players love him they play hard for him with alot of heart and determination...Those kids never quit or stopped hustling no matter how undersized or overmatched they were all year long...IF the portland community would rally around your head coach and show your support ... things will get better for the panther faitfull...

i agree 100%