CAK hosts Kingston take II

Abijah

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of having to play the same team in such a short period of time (3 weeks) but we should be use to it after seeing Alcoa twice so quickly the past several years. I thought Kingston was a pretty good team with some nice athtletes and certainly no "baked flour confection with icing on top" (thats for you APB :D ). I believe CAK to be the better team, so ultimately I believe the Warriors will win and advance. At least Coach King will know where to unload and park the bus this time. :lol: Hope they bring their band again, they rock :thumb:

I'm not a fan of having to play the same team in such a short period of time (3 weeks) but we should be use to it after seeing Alcoa twice so quickly the past several years. I thought Kingston was a pretty good team with some nice athtletes and certainly no "baked flour confection with icing on top" (thats for you APB :D ). I believe CAK to be the better team, so ultimately I believe the Warriors will win and advance. At least Coach King will know where to unload and park the bus this time. :lol: Hope they bring their band again, they rock :thumb:

:roflol:

As silly as I feel saying it, I have to admit I'm looking forward to Kingston's band too. They are really good!

Like FBD, I prefer not to see the same team twice in the same season, particularly if my team beat them the first time. I know we will get Kingston's best game. But the Warriors have impressed me the last couple of weeks in particular. I have said all year that no one other than CAK itself will consistently shut down the CAK offense. And that offense appears to be clicking very well. I am eager to see how the injuries to #22 and #27 appear to shake out for this week's game. The defense has stepped up in the last couple of weeks. That may sound strange when an outsider looks at the Alcoa game stats, but they are a different animal.

What has particularly impressed me lately is the coaching staff. For the longest time (forever) the CAK defense has been solid but totally predictable. 4-4, cover 3, no blitzes, no stunting, no man coverage (1 game last year I believe). We simply practiced a base defense and didn't deviate from it for the most part. Then what do I see??? Blitzing, stunting, a 5 man line, etc. And, it has had an effect. I am curious as to what this coaching staff will do against the Kingston offense. IMO, we could benefit from the 5 man line against the wing T. Any thoughts from other CAK supporters?

As silly as I feel saying it, I have to admit I'm looking forward to Kingston's band too. They are really good!

Like FBD, I prefer not to see the same team twice in the same season, particularly if my team beat them the first time. I know we will get Kingston's best game. But the Warriors have impressed me the last couple of weeks in particular. I have said all year that no one other than CAK itself will consistently shut down the CAK offense. And that offense appears to be clicking very well. I am eager to see how the injuries to #22 and #27 appear to shake out for this week's game. The defense has stepped up in the last couple of weeks. That may sound strange when an outsider looks at the Alcoa game stats, but they are a different animal.

What has particularly impressed me lately is the coaching staff. For the longest time (forever) the CAK defense has been solid but totally predictable. 4-4, cover 3, no blitzes, no stunting, no man coverage (1 game last year I believe). We simply practiced a base defense and didn't deviate from it for the most part. Then what do I see??? Blitzing, stunting, a 5 man line, etc. And, it has had an effect. I am curious as to what this coaching staff will do against the Kingston offense. IMO, we could benefit from the 5 man line against the wing T. Any thoughts from other CAK supporters?

I am a supporter of the 5 man front against wingt or I formation, run first oriented teams. I like the 4-4 better against teams that are more multiple and balanced. I also like the idea of pinching down the tackles and walking the OLB's up to the LOS out of the 4-4 and playing a 6-2 in short yardage or when the offense is in a tight or heavy formation. Another defense we should take a look at down the road is a 3-5. Despite what it sounds like, it is a very good run stopping defense if the DL slant and LB's fill backside gaps, then all gaps are accounted for. More on that if it ever happens (doubtful). I'll ditto the kudos to the defensive coaches for implimenting a few wrinkles. I've also seen some nickle back defense at times the past couple of weeks, especially against Elizabethton. (It could have helped at Scott Co., but we won anyway). I won't hold my breath, but I would still like to see Cover 2 with man under on 3rd and long or late in the game when we're protecting a lead. But I'll take the new wrinkles, be happy, and shut up about cover 2, at least for now, ha.

Edited by FootballDad

Round 2 with the YellowJackets has a strange feel to it for me. I'm concerned about the team coming out flat and falling behind early in the game. Same thing happened last time we played just 3 weeks ago, but we had enough pep to come back and take control of the game in the second half. Similar situation last year in round 1 of the playoffs with McMinn Central. If that happens this time I'm concerned about about much pep is still in the tank after the physically and emotionally draining game last week against Alcoa. I think this is a gut check game for the Warriors. They should win, but the coaches and team leaders will have to be at their best to have the entire team ready to play from the opening kickoff. Shake off the cobwebs of the Alcoa game boys, its a NEW season. Go Warriors!

Round 2 with the YellowJackets has a strange feel to it for me. I'm concerned about the team coming out flat and falling behind early in the game. Same thing happened last time we played just 3 weeks ago, but we had enough pep to come back and take control of the game in the second half. Similar situation last year in round 1 of the playoffs with McMinn Central. If that happens this time I'm concerned about about much pep is still in the tank after the physically and emotionally draining game last week against Alcoa. I think this is a gut check game for the Warriors. They should win, but the coaches and team leaders will have to be at their best to have the entire team ready to play from the opening kickoff. Shake off the cobwebs of the Alcoa game boys, its a NEW season. Go Warriors!

fbd, I am feeling the opposite. I believe that with the effort and success that the warriors had against alcoa, (i know we lost), The confidence level is growing fast and these kids know they can play with anyone.. I am not sure that was the case before last thursday. I see a very physical game from the warriors. My prediction on score is 45-7 with the warriors building momentum toward the second round match up. I for one am very excited about this team and what could happen.

fbd, I am feeling the opposite. I believe that with the effort and success that the warriors had against alcoa, (i know we lost), The confidence level is growing fast and these kids know they can play with anyone.. I am not sure that was the case before last thursday. I see a very physical game from the warriors. My prediction on score is 45-7 with the warriors building momentum toward the second round match up. I for one am very excited about this team and what could happen.

I like your feeling better than mine! Keep talking, maybe it will rub off on me. I too am excited about this team and proud of their accomplishments thus far, but having been around the block a couple of times before with other teams in this situation, I'm cautious of what could happen with a group of teenage players in this position. I think great motivation should come from the idea of getting to see someone other than Alcoa in round 2 if we can get through round 1. Then a round 2 victory would make this team the winningest team in school history in total number of wins in a season.

Good luck to our neighbors from Kingston, Kingston is going to be a hard team to beat twice especially in a short time frame like this CAK is probably the better team but i'm pulling for the upset!!

Come on now olereb, you know Coach King and those Orangish YellowJackets have no love for you guys. And we wear blue too. :D Come on over from the darkside and I'll treat you to some nanner puddn. :hungry: