PRIVATE SCHOOL DOMINANCE

SoccerSwami

I believe you guys that point to the club scene are correct. I would add that soccer has organized itself into a corner. Too many regulations, too much money involved and it has completely forgotten about the rank and file player. It is set up for the elite to be able to travel and be seen. The rest are there to pick up the tab and still more are left at home playing some other sport.

well stated

You do understand that Catholic "joined" AAA because their numbers put them in the higher division. It was not a "choice" to go up. The reclassification period put them there. If CAK ever gets to that size, the will go up, as well.

You do have some good points, however. South America has GREAT soccer because it is played as a "grass roots" sport. Every kid plays it all the time. You just don't have that here. My daughter plays church league soccer, frankly, because we can't afford the club teams, and I also don't want to travel every weekend.

There is talk about developing that kind of "grass roots" league in Knoxville in the inner city and beyond. I would love to see that come to fruition. Contrary to what people might think, I am all for the advancement of Tennessee soccer as a whole, not just the private school's success.

G, you do understand that they could have went to Div II as well. I commend Knox Catholic for being better than the rest, and competing with the big dogs!!!

G, also you always say you are for the success of Tennessee soccer as a whole, but that is easy to say when you have how many A/AA championships because of the way the system is? Why will CAK, Notre Dame, and CPA )and others) just not go Div II like FRA, USJ, and Jackson Christian did. It would fix the issue all together would it not?

G, you do understand that they could have went to Div II as well. I commend Knox Catholic for being better than the rest, and competing with the big dogs!!!

G, also you always say you are for the success of Tennessee soccer as a whole, but that is easy to say when you have how many A/AA championships because of the way the system is? Why will CAK, Notre Dame, and CPA )and others) just not go Div II like FRA, USJ, and Jackson Christian did. It would fix the issue all together would it not?

Fix the issue for whom? It would mean way more travel and state titles that are even more watered down. Do you really want a participation trophy?

What response would you like for me to have? I have agreed to a disparity (of which you said I would never agree to). No matter what I say, you will find a problem with it.

There will ALWAYS be disparity in sports. If privates all go to division 2, there will be a problem with open and closed zone public schools. If they get removed, it will be an urban and rural debate. It will never end.

As long as teams get beaten by someone, it is a natural reaction to cry "foul" for something. Sports talk radio spent 30 minutes talking about this very thing this morning.

I have never "bragged" about beating up on anyone. I have also never bragged about our championships. In fact, I try to be as humble as I can whenever I address the success of CAK. I will always coach for my players to play their best. Anything less is against what I have been taught. If the TSSAA decides to move us up, so be it. If our school decides to go division 2, they will play there. But I don't know what you want the soccer programs themselves to do... go to the administration and ask to be moved? It's not our call anyway. So why hammer the soccer programs and coaches?

This debate has gone on forever, and will continue to do so.

Why not have a private school group of divisions and a public school group of divisions? More money. Better chance to promote the game in urban areas where the game should be promoted. Private schools are way different than public schools, their basketball is worse their soccer is better.

Why not just have one state champion? Why do we need "divisions" of anything? One state champion cures everything. You're the one true state champion of the entire state. Of all schools. Best team in the state that season. Or however you want to legitimize the victory.

People don't want this because they don't like losing.

Learn to lose, and the victory is so much sweeter.

Why not just have one state champion? Why do we need "divisions" of anything? One state champion cures everything. You're the one true state champion of the entire state. Of all schools. Best team in the state that season. Or however you want to legitimize the victory.

Everyone wants a "fair" outcome without having to work for it. If soccer was as popular as football in this state, we would have 9 state champions.

I like the idea, but as we texted earlier this week, would be tough to work out the qualification process. What determines the teams that get into the play offs?

I believe Delaware has only one state champion, regardless of public private, or even size of school. I'll have to look into how they do it again. I used to know, but forgot the details.

The merit system (with its flaws) would be good especially if it was done sport by sport, and not by the entire school. Take CCS... really good soccer team, but used to have a poor cross country team (TOTALLY joking, just picking on Coniglio) but let's say it was true... soccer moves up, cross country moves down. I know it would be tough to regulate, however.

Fix the issue for whom? It would mean way more travel and state titles that are even more watered down. Do you really want a participation trophy?

Without one state champ it will be watered down. More travel, like the privates would have a problem with that. For the A/AA division it would mean parity across the board instead of domination of the privates.

G I got nothing against you at all. Though I know it seems so on here. I don't even know you. What I do know is what I see. These programs in A/AA soccer are about the dads who have to mow the cowfields for there sons and daughters to play. Take the goals to their house to weld them back so they will be ready for their sons. Come tournament time they don't have lights, so if you go to go extra time they might pull their trucks up to the goal to light the area. That's what grass roots soccer is all about. I truly believe the private schools being in the same division with the schools like this is a smack in the face. You take the privates out and into div 2 or big school. That's the fix.

I think you would qualify in the same way that you would now.

Instead of 16 districts across the state, maybe there were 32. Take the top 2 teams after the district championship and you have a madness of 64 teams. Seed them, based upon random draw or just certain guidelines with a geographical basis (more likely because of travel). You could even do a random draw for each of the 8 regions (8 teams each). Take your 8 regional winners and send them to state for the finals.

Once you hit 64, it's just like college basketball, you win, or you go home.

If you belong to a tiny school you never taste victory. If you are already in aaa you win about the same amount.