SBEC at Davidson

duece253

Last year this game went into OT with Davidson going for 2 and getting it for the win in the first OT. I'm afraid both squads are considerably down from last year, but should be a great game and a great atmosphere none the less.

What do yall think? The only thing I know about SBEC is the quaterback's numbers look real solid and if I'm not mistaking they're coming from a two-way starter. Davidson's had two consecutive weeks off and I just don't know how comfortable I am about that thought.

Judging strictly off of last years game and what I know of Davidson this year, I'm going with 21-14 Davidson.

I have never seen SBEC play and don't have a feel for their talent but I would give DA a slight edge. The one thing that's confusing me is that SBEC played St. George's really tough but had some lopsided losses to ECS and USJ. My feeling is they must have some good athletes but are either young or have had some games where the breaks just didn't go their way.

I watched DA play Webb and even though the game kinda got away from them a little bit after a fast start, they have some very good athletes who can really play. DA has the ability to hit teams with a balanced offensive attack using both Williams and Dixon along with a QB who has a good arm and is athletic enough to scramble and complete passes. They gave Webb all they wanted in the first half.

DA's lines are young and not nearly as good as last year's but they are scrappy. So, if SBEC can control the lines of scrimmage then they could come out on top.

After watching DA play Webb, I came away thinking to myself that Dixon is not used enough on offense. Williams certainly is a great back but Dixon hasn't seemed to get many carries this year. Looking at tendencies SBEC could focus on Williams and leave Dixon to run for big yardage. Obviously I don't have all the inside info as to why Dixon doesn't get many carries but for someone on the outside looking at him both last year and this year against Webb, I would probably get him at least one-third of the carries.

Hope it's a injury-free game and that all of the SBEC players, coaches, families and fans have a safe trip!

SBEC is really thin this year with more guys than usual going both ways. Like Davidson, SBEC lost a huge senior class from last year and while they weren't big up front last year they lost a lot of bulk on the lines. I honestly think they're quicker, though, and the wideouts are both big and fairly athletic. New HC and new schemes on O and D. They've performed better than I really thought they could and have utilized their QB's skills to the utmost. He's very dangerous.

They're a lot more aggressive on defense than in past years...really fly to the ball. I think ECS/USJ/St. George's are all just better...very simply put. ECS is just too big and overwhelmed them early in the season. They've gotten better since then, though, and really gelled. St. George's was coming off big, close wins over ECS and USJ and had their coach take the lead in career victories in TN w/ the win over SBEC. I think it's pretty obvious that SBEC both matched up well against SGIS in particular plus caught them at the end of an emotional 3 game run w/ the hoopla of their coach's record hitting at the same time. Any given Friday kind of situation...but I think it really showed a very green group of kids what they were capable of...big confidence booster. They gave a very good Pillow Academy team (Greenwood MS) all they wanted at their place. USJ is just flat better and matched up really well against SBEC in addition. SBEC was banged up in that game and had a couple of disciplinary things going on, too, but it wouldn't have mattered. It just wasn't going to happen that game. They gave USJ all they wanted last year but it just wasn't happening this time.

Tonight? SBEC is banged up some now (no, I'm not saying who) more than they have been but that's life. It's game 12. That's football. They had a really good scheme last year on defense against DA and did a great job until the very end. The last drive for DA to score in regulation to send it to OT was a heartbreaker...particularly the penalties. This squad won't be scared b/c they know they stood toe to toe with Davidson last year. The defensive scheme and a good game plan probably can give SBEC a chance this year plus DA has to adjust to a totally different offense from SBEC. DA's running game which runs clock probably isn't bad for SBEC. They could stand to shorten the game to keep from wearing out and to keep the nicked up guys from having even more stress on them. In the end, DA should just be a bit better. Whatever DA lost on the lines from last year, SBEC did too. If SBEC doesn't play well early, the injuries will hurt more, it will seem colder and colder, etc. and Justin will start to look like he's untackleable.

If I had to put money on it, I'd make DA about a TD favorite. It's not unwinnable for SBEC. I doubt the separation b/w the two is any greater than it was last year and DA was just better last year...but it's got a better than average chance of being a highly competitive game like it was last year.