ECS at Webb

Vols12345678

This game was an absolute war. Both teams left it all on the field and there was some serious hitting going on all night long. What made this a joy to watch was that there were numerous times where each team would help the other up after a big hit and pat each other on the head etc. Two programs that showed class and respect for one another all night.

ECS came out and drove the ball down to get a quick field goal after Webb's defense stiffened. Webb's first possession ended with a fake punt in their own territory that was unsuccessful after barely missing a wide open receiver who was overthrown. ECS capitalized by scoring on the short field and made it 10-0 with all the momentum. Webb scored 21 unanswered points on the running of not only the Blance brothers but the third RB Berube who made some huge runs to keep the ECS defense off-balance. The score was 21-10 to start the 4th quarter. ECS scored with 5 minutes to go to make it 21-16 but after receiving the kickoff, Caleb Blance ran the fullback trap 71 yards for the score to make it 28-16. ECS would not quit and scored to make it 28-23 with 2 minutes left. ECS attempted an onside kick that failed and Webb drove the ball down to the ECS 2 yard line. The ECS defense kept the Spartans out of the endzone by stuffing two plays from the 2 and took over with less than a minute and no timeouts. The Webb defense shut down the Eagles final drive without them crossing midfield as time expired. This was one of the best games I've seen in a long time. Both teams went all out and brought their best and ECS just came up a little bit short.

The ECS offense was fun to watch as they ran their no-huddle attack with 3 different QBs through the course of the game. I was really impressed with their young QB Rooker who made some very nice throws and was elusive too. The Jamison cousins were a factor as expected with both making some plays although the speed of Webb's defense limted Will from really hurting the Spartans too much. Childers ran tough but was hit hard just about every time he was tackled and it appeared to take a toll. I was very impressed with the ECS receiver #84. He's a big target and can catch and run very well. ECS had a couple other WRs that were solid too.

The ECS defense was tough up the middle and did a good job of holding the Blance brothers in check however they found out the hard way if you give them the slightest opening they will make you pay and both Caleb and Aaron took advantage of those opportunities.

The Spartans played pretty well on defense and held the ECS offense to just over 300 yards. Although they gave up 225 passing yards, they came up huge with 3 interceptions. Most of the passes were underneath and Webb's young secondary stepped up and didn't allow much of anything to be completed downfield. Webb's LBs were very active and laid some big licks all night long. One of the interceptions was made by LB Carter on a one-handed grab that was a game changer after ECS took a 10-0 lead. The d-line did a great job of battling to free the LBs and played a huge part of keeping Childers in check and holding ECS to less than 100 yards rushing.

On offense the Spartans stayed with their plan and never got rattled. The limited passing game was not working so they relied on what they do best and that's run the ball behind their o-line that executes their blocks with precision. The Blance brothers had a big night Caleb (165 yards, 2 TDs) and Aaron (115 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 100+ return yards). Webb's third RB had a big night as well. Berube made some very nice runs to keep ECS off-balance as they focused on the Blance brothers and ended the night with close to 100 yards rushing himself.

Hats off the the ECS team and coaches who did a very good job last night. I'm sure it was a bitter loss especially for the seniors as they were put out of the playoffs for the second consecutive year by the Spartans. Keep your heads up, you played and competed with class. Hats off to your fans who traveled in mass from Memphis and were vocal the entire game. Hope everyone made it home safely.

Way to go Spartans, you now have earned the chance to defend last years' State Championship in Cookeville. Win the last game and finish the job. I can't wait to be in Cookeville and watch you compete for the gold ball!

Webb 28, ECS 23

ECS......10...0...0...13 — 23

Webb......0..14...7....7 — 28

.................ECS.....Webb

First downs.......20.......12

Rushes-yards...33-91...43-402

Passing..........225.......28

Comp-Att-Int.26-39-3....1-9-0

Punts.........4-34.0...4-42.0

Fumbles-Lost.....0-0......1-1

Penalties-Yards.5-45.....6-40

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game was an absolute war. Both teams left it all on the field and there was some serious hitting going on all night long. What made this a joy to watch was that there were numerous times where each team would help the other up after a big hit and pat each other on the head etc. Two programs that showed class and respect for one another all night.

ECS came out and drove the ball down to get a quick field goal after Webb's defense stiffened. Webb's first possession ended with a fake punt in their own territory that was unsuccessful after barely missing a wide open receiver who was overthrown. ECS capitalized by scoring on the short field and made it 10-0 with all the momentum. Webb scored 21 unanswered points on the running of not only the Blance brothers but the third RB Berube who made some huge runs to keep the ECS defense off-balance. The score was 21-10 to start the 4th quarter. ECS scored with 5 minutes to go to make it 21-16 but after receiving the kickoff, Caleb Blance ran the fullback trap 71 yards for the score to make it 28-16. ECS would not quit and scored to make it 28-23 with 2 minutes left. ECS attempted an onside kick that failed and Webb drove the ball down to the ECS 2 yard line. The ECS defense kept the Spartans out of the endzone by stuffing two plays from the 2 and took over with less than a minute and no timeouts. The Webb defense shut down the Eagles final drive without them crossing midfield as time expired. This was one of the best games I've seen in a long time. Both teams went all out and brought their best and ECS just came up a little bit short.

The ECS offense was fun to watch as they ran their no-huddle attack with 3 different QBs through the course of the game. I was really impressed with their young QB Rooker who made some very nice throws and was elusive too. The Jamison cousins were a factor as expected with both making some plays although the speed of Webb's defense limted Will from really hurting the Spartans too much. Childers ran tough but was hit hard just about every time he was tackled and it appeared to take a toll. I was very impressed with the ECS receiver #84. He's a big target and can catch and run very well. ECS had a couple other WRs that were solid too.

The ECS defense was tough up the middle and did a good job of holding the Blance brothers in check however they found out the hard way if you give them the slightest opening they will make you pay and both Caleb and Aaron took advantage of those opportunities.

The Spartans played pretty well on defense and held the ECS offense to just over 300 yards. Although they gave up 225 passing yards, they came up huge with 3 interceptions. Most of the passes were underneath and Webb's young secondary stepped up and didn't allow much of anything to be completed downfield. Webb's LBs were very active and laid some big licks all night long. One of the interceptions was made by LB Carter on a one-handed grab that was a game changer after ECS took a 10-0 lead. The d-line did a great job of battling to free the LBs and played a huge part of keeping Childers in check and holding ECS to less than 100 yards rushing.

On offense the Spartans stayed with their plan and never got rattled. The limited passing game was not working so they relied on what they do best and that's run the ball behind their o-line that executes their blocks with precision. The Blance brothers had a big night Caleb (165 yards, 2 TDs) and Aaron (115 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 100+ return yards). Webb's third RB had a big night as well. Berube made some very nice runs to keep ECS off-balance as they focused on the Blance brothers and ended the night with close to 100 yards rushing himself.

Hats off the the ECS team and coaches who did a very good job last night. I'm sure it was a bitter loss especially for the seniors as they were put out of the playoffs for the second consecutive year by the Spartans. Keep your heads up, you played and competed with class. Hats off to your fans who traveled in mass from Memphis and were vocal the entire game. Hope everyone made it home safely.

Way to go Spartans, you now have earned the chance to defend last years' State Championship in Cookeville. Win the last game and finish the job. I can't wait to be in Cookeville and watch you compete for the gold ball!

Webb 28, ECS 23

ECS......10...0...0...13 — 23

Webb......0..14...7....7 — 28

.................ECS.....Webb

First downs.......20.......12

Rushes-yards...33-91...43-402

Passing..........225.......28

Comp-Att-Int.26-39-3....1-9-0

Punts.........4-34.0...4-42.0

Fumbles-Lost.....0-0......1-1

Penalties-Yards.5-45.....6-40

Great recap. Real class was shown by both teams on the field. I want to also thank the Webb decision makers who allowed the ECS team and community to support their players on the field for what will be for many, their last game. You were gracious in giving us all the time we needed to console, congratulate and cry with one another. You kept the lights on for us until the end and we appreciate it.