6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

Yes your right we do have to have something to talk about and I do think it will be a heck of a game. I must also admit I get more nervous now being a spectator with no control over the game than I did when I played. And to both teams remember football is not the most important thing in life but it is the third most important. So give it all you got and if your better you will win.

well thats true most of the year...but august through state its second behind God. Schools third right now :roflol:

One or two players? You don't get this far with one or two players. I hope that Maryville's ball coach thinks Smyrna has one or two weapons offensively. I'm not saying Maryville won't win because honestly I haven't seen them play a lick. None! Zilch! But Smyrna having one or two ball players is far from the truth.

In high school football, I believe one or two players can make the difference in a win or loss. Maryville lost last year because of White Stations' elusive quarterback and one running back/defensive back. Without those two players Maryville wins the game. I believe Maryville lost to Hillsboro a few years back when a clutch Rebels reciever, Chris Jordon went out early in the game. Imagine what Bearden's record would have been this year without Devron Young. I just believe in High School one or two key athletes are that important.

Please, I know Smyrna is a great team! I definitely consider them favorites in this game even without a few key players. Maryville coaching staff knows what they are facing. Maryville has a unique psyche, they just think differently than most teams. They know they can find a way to win, no matter who they play- not cocky just an inner sense of confidence. As a fan we have seen them win so many times against superior opponents. We have seen them come from behind and win so many times that we (the team and the fans) don't panic. We believe the coaches and players will do something to win the game. Again, this is no reflection on Smyrna football! You have a super program in a tough district, you deserve and will recieve from Maryville a tremendous amount of respect. We feel blessed just to get to play in this game.

If Smyrna wins we will be gracious losers, we will congratulate you on a great season and wish for you the best in the future. If you lose, you were out coached! Because you have the superior team!

Edited by oldhick76

In high school football, I believe one or two players can make the difference in a win or loss. Maryville lost last year because of White Stations' elusive quarterback and one running back/defensive back. Without those two players Maryville wins the game. I believe Maryville lost to Hillsboro a few years back when a clutch Rebels reciever, Chris Jordon went out early in the game. Imagine what Bearden's record would have been this year without Devron Young. I just believe in High School one or two key athletes are that important.

Please, I know Smyrna is a great team! I definitely consider them favorites in this game even without a few key players. Maryville coaching staff knows what they are facing. Maryville has a unique psyche, they just think differently than most teams. They know they can find a way to win, no matter who they play- not cocky just an inner sense of confidence. As a fan we have seen them win so many times against superior opponents. We have seen them come from behind and win so many times that we (the team and the fans) don't panic. We believe the coaches and players will do something to win the game. Again, this is no reflection on Smyrna football! You have a super program in a tough district, you deserve and will recieve from Maryville a tremendous amount of respect. We feel blessed just to get to play in this game.

If Smyrna wins we will be gracious losers, we will congratulate you on a great season and wish for you the best in the future. If you lose, you were out coached! Because you have the superior team!

Out coaching doesn't always beat us. First game against Blackman we were out coached and still pulled of the win.

Yeah I mean at the end of the day both teams have one more game to play and the games before don't really matter anymore. It does look like Maryville beat teams the way they were supposed to so you can't hold that against them. There are lots of other questions to be answered on gameday like- How will the Meadows injury affect(sp) Smyrna's D, Will Maryville's Line be good enough to keep Smyrna's backs and qb in check, Can Smyrna stop Maryville's passing game, and who wants it more? These questions will have nothing to do with who they played in the past. A tough schedule does help teams fight through hard times and not hang their heads. At this point though both teams have seen their fair share of hard times and shouldn't have any trouble bouncing back I would think.

I dont think it is a question about "who wants it more" .I would think that both teams want it equally. I think it will come down to who makes the least mistakes when it gets to this point. Penalties could be the factor also. both teams will benefit from keeping cool heads.

Edited by AMERICANBULLD0G

few key players. Maryville coaching staff knows what they are facing. Maryville has a unique psyche, they just think differently than most teams. They know they can find a way to win, no matter who they play- not cocky just an inner sense of confidence. As a fan we have seen them win so many times

huh?

Hilsboro

White Station

Alcoa

few key players. Maryville coaching staff knows what they are facing. Maryville has a unique psyche, they just think differently than most teams. They know they can find a way to win, no matter who they play- not cocky just an inner sense of confidence. As a fan we have seen them win so many times

huh?

Hilsboro

White Station

Alcoa

AmericanBulldog,

Yes we have lost a few games and feel no shame in losing to those fine teams. Especially, Alcoa the last two years. But, we also have won a few. A few that maybe we shouldn't have.

Hey, see if you can get your A.D. or Coach to participate in or "kick-off classic" the next two years. Seems like everybody else is backing out! Would be great to have the Mighty Bulldogs visit Blount County, we've been to Rutherford County quite a bit the last decade. Would me nice to have ya'll return the favor.

huh?

Hilsboro

White Station

Alcoa

The point is that they have seen the Rebels win MORE than they have seen them lose :popcorneater:

Edited by alcoafan72