Ensworth's Last 2 Last Plays

hdcastle

The official is not looking at the feet and never did. He signaled a TD upon the catch. If the defender forced receiver out then it is the officials responsibility to explain to the head coach the reason for the TD call, nothing was ever said or explained. That is a lack of professionalism. BA players questioned him but he ignored them. I agree that is the hardest call in football to make, corner endzone jump ball, but one official should watch the catch and interference and the other official should watch feet.

Oh Well....Water over the dam.

You are probably correct on lack of professionalism, but it is not his place to explain a call to a coach. The official also does not have to interact with the players just because they don't like a call he has made.

You one official watching catch and interference and the other watching the feet? They both have to do what they can to watch for all of it...one will have the sideline and the other will have the back of the end zone.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any idea how the responsibilities are divided for officials in cases like that? Also, how many officials are there in a game at that level? Finally, is it a crew that's worked together during the season, or several officials who are assigned together?

There are 5 officials on the field. The crews can be sent how ever their association chooses to send them.

Some associations work in crew during the season and the get split in the playoffs. Other associations never work in crews and are always put together for all games. Some are crews from start to finish.

I do not know the exact responsibilities. But the officials should be aware of the corner endzone pass coming and be ready to look at feet. If the official viewed the db forced the receiver out of bounds then he should tell opposing team coach of his judgement call. Sometimes the official doesn't have the angle he needs to make the proper call, but this official was right there.

How many official's? There were 5 on field officials, and one official handling clock duties, not sure if they worked together before. Probably Top Secret TSSAA info.

Football official's have to know what your duties encompass. They include explaining and announcing penalties, observing to see if any explaining illegal blocks or hits have been made on the quarterback, or explaining judgement calls on controversial passes and fumbles. Their responsibility is to make certain that the proper rules are always enforced.

As for the Baylor game, if he (EHS Receiver) had steped out on his own without being forced out, the official would have thrown his hat or bean bag at the spot. If the catches the ball, it is live a flag will be thrown to the spot and the the foul is Illegal Touching, loss of down no yardage is assessed. It is treated like an incomplete pass. Most likely the FJ not the LJ would have been responsible for the call. Althought the LJ could help.

Bottom line - Being able to handle the gray areas of judgment and enforcement is critical!

He does not have to tell the coach what he saw. It is usually done out of courtesy. If the coach thinks a rule has been misapplied he can call a time out and request to talk to the referee.

You say officials have to explain several things...not true. If I have a chop block, I don't have to go to the coach and tell him exactly what happened.

Pass interference calls are almost always judgment calls. We don't have to tell the coach why we did or didn't make a call.

You are correct that it is our place to make sure the rules are enforced correctly. This does not happen every single time. We are not going to get everything perfect, just like coaches and players aren't going to get everything perfect either.

If the player steps out on his own, it is a foul for illegal participation at the point he returns in bounds.

There is no such thing as a field judge in high school football.

Edited by footballref

Ok, someone explain this to mean: in a situation when both players have possession in the end zone, does it matter whose feet come down first. In the video it appears that both players have the ball and I believe Huesman was the first to get his hands on it but Dingess pulled it back into his chest. I believe the defensive player has to be down (as in knee on the ground) with full possession to be an interception. The video clearly shows that Dingess took the ball away from Huesman before either player was out of bounds or ruled down. Am I wrong to assume this?

If you are talking about the play that takes place around the 1:20 mark of the video of the highlights...that is a TD. Simultaneous possession.

You are probably correct on lack of professionalism, but it is not his place to explain a call to a coach. The official also does not have to interact with the players just because they don't like a call he has made.

You one official watching catch and interference and the other watching the feet? They both have to do what they can to watch for all of it...one will have the sideline and the other will have the back of the end zone.

When a team captain goes up to an official to question a call, the official should explain. That is discussed at the midfield coin flip, only team captain can discuss with the officials.

For "possession" to occur, the receiver must be holding the football. I have seen several excellent photographs of the play, including the one on this thread, however, I have yet to see one where the Ensworth receiver actually touches the ball prior to the players going to the ground.

When a team captain goes up to an official to question a call, the official should explain. That is discussed at the midfield coin flip, only team captain can discuss with the officials.

We tell the captains to keep their teams under control. We don't tell them to come to us with any questions. If anything is going to get explained that is controversial it is going to get explained to the head coach, not a player.

http://www.tssaa.org/2010Champions/StateFootball/DIIAABox.htm

Bottom line, don't play a game so close that one play can cost you the game.

I was there and Baylor should have put this one away and did not shut the door on them.

Baylor is a program on the rise, they will be back!

Baylor, put this one behind you and get to work on the next one ASAP!

:thumb: