Ensworth's Last 2 Last Plays

hdcastle

Here's brief highlight video. Once again, you can't tell if Dingess stepped out or not before but he definitely had possession inbounds when the ref put his arms up. If he did step out it was by a toenail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CyjFK1Myys

This is convenient, you can see huesman's feet come down before dingess, in slow motion, even better

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is convenient, you can see huesman's feet come down before dingess, in slow motion, even better

Ok, someone explain this to mean: in a situation when both players have possession in the end zone, does it matter whose feet come down first. In the video it appears that both players have the ball and I believe Huesman was the first to get his hands on it but Dingess pulled it back into his chest. I believe the defensive player has to be down (as in knee on the ground) with full possession to be an interception. The video clearly shows that Dingess took the ball away from Huesman before either player was out of bounds or ruled down. Am I wrong to assume this?

Edited by hdcastle

Need to know a couple of definitions according to the rule book.

1. A catch is the act of establishing player possession of a live ball which is in flight and first contacting the ground inbounds or being contacted by an opponent in such a way that he is prevented from returning to the ground inbounds while maintaining possession of the ball.

2. A simultaneous catch or recovery is a catch or recovery in which there is joint possession of a live ball by opposing players who are inbounds.

It does not matter who comes down inbounds first if it is ruled a simultaneous catch in the officials judgment.

No benefit of instant replay in high school. The back judge ruled simultaneous catch with tie to offense. Call and play stands.

On watching the replay, the official makes these quick reviews: pass, incomplete? completed? simultaneous catch? I would say an extremely percentage of officials would make the small call.

What about conferring (def. Have discussions; exchange opinions) with another official on what he saw, then make the call? Wouldn't that seem to make better sense of a controversial play? The official had a much better view than anyone, thus made the call the way he saw it and the other officials did not dispute, so that is that.

The officials have conferences regularly. The referee will hear a "dispute" between those who see a call differently. He essentially acts as a "judge"...each side tells their story and he rules. Now while these conferences are going on, the Meatloaf song comes to mind "What's it gonna be?" and my foot is tapping in the stands! Maybe the Jeopardy theme is more appropriate.

Coach Massey also had the option of asking for a conference to get a complete explanation and/or dispute the call and did not do so. His quote was that they had a better view I do believe. While hindsight is 20/20, it might have been better to hit the ball down or out of bounds than to attempt the catch.

The officials have conferences regularly. The referee will hear a "dispute" between those who see a call differently. He essentially acts as a "judge"...each side tells their story and he rules. Now while these conferences are going on, the Meatloaf song comes to mind "What's it gonna be?" and my foot is tapping in the stands! Maybe the Jeopardy theme is more appropriate.

Coach Massey also had the option of asking for a conference to get a complete explanation and/or dispute the call and did not do so. His quote was that they had a better view I do believe. While hindsight is 20/20, it might have been better to hit the ball down or out of bounds than to attempt the catch.

I agree. Thanks for your professional insight on officiating.

I've been reading a lot of posts regarding Ensworth's TD calls that put them up for good against BA and Baylor and how they were both blown calls by the officials. Under further review, I found that both may be completely justified.

While Cory Batey's foot DID come out of bounds, he was forced out by the DB. The force out rule still exists in high school and as I learned tonight, so do 5 yard face masks.

Here's a screen shot of the catch against BA, it look like #5 has made contact with the WR before he stepped out of bounds.

batey.png

Regarding David Dingess' catch against Baylor in the back of the endzone, it appears like he had full possession and was in bounds. I don't have the highlights yet but I can post them tomorrow.

Here's a pic from highschoolsports.net, no feet but it sure looks like he has the ball. A friend who was watching the TV feed in the pressbox said the replay showed it as a catch. Duel possession goes to the offense.

bilde.jpeg

You really can't tell anything from still pictures.