State Championship Blow-Outs

barnowl

Great 2010 Tennessee High School Football Season. Congratulations to all the Champions in all classes. The glaring fact is that in 6 out of 8 championship games the margin of victory was 21 points of more. This brings to light some flaws in the play-off system and the way the brackets are structured. Is it not the objective to have the best teams get to the finals? And if there is a superior district the teams in that district cancel each other out way to early. Any thoughts or ideas to correct this flaw?

Great 2010 Tennessee High School Football Season. Congratulations to all the Champions in all classes. The glaring fact is that in 6 out of 8 championship games the margin of victory was 21 points of more. This brings to light some flaws in the play-off system and the way the brackets are structured. Is it not the objective to have the best teams get to the finals? And if there is a superior district the teams in that district cancel each other out way to early. Any thoughts or ideas to correct this flaw?

My thought is that TN.should have fewer classifications! I think the games would be much closer most of the time!

How about spreading teams out and not putting two high ranked teams in the same areas. There may be some travel involved but is that not what makes the play-offs great. Let's look at other states (known for football) and see how they do it. EX; Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Florida, I believe they play pretty good ball in those states.

I like the way Georgia does their play-offs, and how they seed teams. Georgia has 5 classes with 8 regions (like we use to have) and then they take the top 4 teams out of each region. Then they place one team from each region into 1 of 4 brackets. So no team from the same region meets until the semi-finals at the earliest. Now grant it geographically and financially for some teams this would be tough to do, but it sure does make the play-offs fun to watch in Georgia.

I liked the old 5 class play-off system. It was so much easier to determine who got in and who didn't. Also I was thinking about this add an extra week keep the 6 classes do the play-offs the same way, but after the class 1A-6A are decided and even the DII champs could do this. Take the final teams from each class and then play 1A and 2A in a championship 3A and 4A in championship and then 5A and 6A in a championship.

So going off of this years final 6 it would look like this

A

South Pitt vs. Signal Mountain (which was a great game in the regular season.)

AA

Alcoa vs. Greeneville

AAA

Columbia vs. Maryville.

DII

Ensworth vs. Webb

Edited by Rhea Co.
  • Upvote 1

I like the way Georgia does their play-offs, and how they seed teams. Georgia has 5 classes with 8 regions (like we use to have) and then they take the top 4 teams out of each region. Then they place one team from each region into 1 of 4 brackets. So no team from the same region meets until the semi-finals at the earliest. Now grant it geographically and financially for some teams this would be tough to do, but it sure does make the play-offs fun to watch in Georgia.

I liked the old 5 class play-off system. It was so much easier to determine who got in and who didn't. Also I was thinking about this add an extra week keep the 6 classes do the play-offs the same way, but after the class 1A-6A are decided and even the DII champs could do this. Take the final teams from each class and then play 1A and 2A in a championship 3A and 4A in championship and then 5A and 6A in a championship.

Hey RC I like that idea just keep the privs to themselves and that would make it really interesting.

A

AA

Alcoa vs. Greeneville

AAA

Columbia vs. Maryville.

DII

Ensworth vs. Webb

Edited by barnowl

A

AA

Alcoa vs. Greeneville

AAA

Columbia vs. Maryville.

DII

Ensworth vs. Webb

You know that's really not a bad idea. A complex system decided by many variables, and still flawed to a degree, but back to having only 4 state champions would definitely put some extra value back on the gold balls like their used to be. Personally, I think those games you listed would be great games as well.

Edited by RedSwarm10